What's An Earthcache?

Team GeoDillo

As for getting back on topic... As for D&E's discussion... No, this might not mean a better management of something, but if the powers that be work with the parks and manage to get a few approved here and there, then perhaps it is the first step in getting more permission to utilize our parks more frequently for more uses.

Well said, that is kind of what I meant about the Park Service working with geocaching.

Once they find that most geocachers respect the parks and aren't out there tearing up endangered plants and we aren't digging holes in the park and that we are taking trash OUT of the parks instead of in it could make geocaching look really good.

IMHO one of the reasons alot of parks won't allow geocaching is because of preconceived misconceptions they have about geocachers.

Well that partially explains why the first one is described as a virtual in the text, yet has a traditional icon. :lol:

I'm all for this partnership so we can 'cache' in National Parks. I hope it isn't the end of regular virts though, or LC's. :lol:

And just a bit OT, did anyone else do a doubletake at Damenace's avatar? I thought there was something almost R rated there at first. :lol:

Subterranean wrote:

It looks like Subaru will sponsor “Earthcaching.”

Well that helps explain the confusion regarding the 'L' over the chin sign for geocaching. :lol::o

Edited by wimseyguy
We've been working with the National Park Service to get caches into their parks, and this is one project that involves them in a positive way. Earthcaches will have their own icon and will only be listed after they are blessed by the Geological Society of America.

Great idea for several reasons. First, those of us in the National Capital Region (greater metropolitan Washington DC) are surrounded by NPS land. The folks in the District have it worst of all; I suspect there are so many virtuals there to relieve the pressure caused by lack of land for more traditional caches.

Second, this provides a nice educational experience for those so inclined. It's a nice extra treat for families to give their kids a chance to learn something about the planet while they have fun searching for a cache.

Third, and perhaps most important for the good folks at NPS, it provides additional awareness (which may be translated into budget dollars) to the public about the mission of NPS and the lands under their stewardship.

My $0.02; certainly worth what you paid for it....

My problem that I have is they can't come up with a way to manage "locationless" caches so they do away with them . They can't come up with a way to manage virtuals so they eliminate them . SO they create a totaly new style of cache Yep lets eliminate two to create one ? Makes no sense to me!!!! Don't get me wrong I have no problem with what the intentions are in teaching about the "planet we live on" but lets manage what we already have before we create more to manage!!

I certainly understand the problems associated with so-called locationless caches. I've thought about participating, but haven't. Some of that is associated with the challenge of determining if someone else has already registered the "find". I suppose one could support a distance search within the "finds" associated with a specific locationless cache, but I doubt if the interest in that feature (and its usage) would outweigh the additional complexity and processing.

When I first read about the “Earthcache” concept I got excited and thought it a great idea. Upon further reflection I find it a bit misguided. If it is going to be the GSA’s cache, then call it a GSA-cache and make similar arrangements available to other scientific societies. I guess at some point we’ll see extension to any organization or firm that has something interesting that can be found at specific coordinates; so we’ll see Disney-caches, etc; followed by Haliburton-caches, followed by any company that has some funds ot spend on us: e.g. Subaru-caches, etc... Hey, let’s not do that. If we need to rethink the concept of the virtual cache, then let’s do that (many of us want them back), but let’s not set up a bunch of narrowly defined cache categories.

What I really like about the earthcache concept is that it is informational and educational. Why not create a cache category called “Infocache” and find reputable entities to check the validity/importance of proposed caches. In the case of geologically oriented caches this could be done by the GSA in the US and similar associations in other countries. By creating an “Infocache” instead of an “earthcache” you create an opportunity for much more significant growth in the sport. In fact, by creating a cache type that has credibility you actually create pages that represent credible information.

I suggest GC5FF9 to become an EarthCache.

If you want the owners of this listing to hand this in for approval as an earthcache, you will have to tell them (they will probably have to remove the cachebox and contact GSA). I doubt that Laogai will be able or willing to do this for Landyman & family...

BS/2

P.S.: Wäre aber interessant zu sehen obs bei der Prüfung durchgeht. B)

I guess I'm confused about 2 things.

#1 This still sounds just like a virt that normally wouldn't be approved but because someone that wears a green shirt for a living says it's okay then it is.

#2 On the earthcache that has been listed to see what is the verification of people being there? Are these going to be caches that aren't going to have people verifying the visits?

...#1 This still sounds just like a virt that normally wouldn't be approved but because someone that wears a green shirt for a living says it's okay then it is...

That's pretty much it on the surface. Below the surface is a lot of work and effort and politicking to make it real.

I happen to like geology. However for most these will be a virtual of another flavor and that's about it.

I have a cache that might be considered. I'm not completely clear on the concept yet, but from what I read, it might. GC173B (The View from Above) is at the top of one of the "Caddo Mounds" in western Oklahoma. Western Oklahoma is normally a very flat area and these mounds are very distinct. They rise 100 feet or so, straight out of the surrounding area, with no buffering zones. I'm sure there is a bit of geological interest to them. They were used as landmarks part of the western expansion of the US.

One photo I have online. It doesn't quite do it justice because there is no frame of reference. Here is a photo taken from above, looking at another of the mounds.

First, I'm glad efforts are being made to break down the barriers that have been erected by the NPS to keep us from practicing an environmentally friendly activity in OUR National Parks. I'm a little saddened, however, to see geocaching officially aligning itself with an organization that still uses the fictitious "geologic column" as a teaching tool. This isn't science; it's the religion of evolution masquerading as science. If the GSA will be teaching a particular theory of origins at these caches, it will be teaching a religion, not science. Is this the new direction of Groundspeak?

edit: typo

Edited by worldtraveler
I'm a little saddened, however, to see geocaching officially aligning itself with an organization that still uses the fictitious "geologic column" as a teaching tool. This isn't science; it's the religion of evolution masquerading as science. If the GSA will be teaching a particular theory of origins at these caches, it will be teaching a religion, not science. Is this the new direction of Groundspeak?

This can not stand unanswered:

This is an international forum (that is said to be "family friendly"). Therefore, statings that will be seen as obscene and pervert everywhere in the civilized and enlightended world should not be used.

To put it short:

Jehova, Jehova!

BalkanSabranje

Edited by BalkanSabranje
I'm a little saddened, however, to see geocaching officially aligning itself with an organization that still uses the fictitious "geologic column" as a teaching tool. This isn't science; it's the religion of evolution masquerading as science.

Are your objections that it doesn't include the "Great Flood Period"? Don't worry, with W in office for four more years, there will be plenty of time to get rid of all this evolution nonsense and put in creation science, backed by real facts from the Christian Bible. We can ignore all these observable phenomenae that have been deceiving us and truly be led by faith.

oy

Is this the new direction of Groundspeak?

Oh my yes. Our future is obviously world domination through subversive religion masquerading as science. That is, once I get the geocaching attributes done and some other high-priority items.

EXCELENT, I shall inform the evil minions that the plan is proceding, after the attributes and some other high pririty stuff you have in mind is done.

This is rediculous, if you don't like what earthcaches *COUGH* represent *COUGH* then don't do them, don't look at them, just pretend they don't exist just like some people do with locationless caches. earth caches look cool to me and i cant wait till there is one in my neck of the woods.

No action since it was announced. I see no guidelines for how to place or find one of these new types of caches and yet it shows up as a category in PQs. What's the deal? What's the direction of the thinking on this by the almighty geoworld dominator and his minions? If we're going to have them, then let's have some guidelines on what to do and where to submit them. Nearby I have this really great geologic feature that is just screaming for a cache...

As I mentioned back in August, I would suggest broadening this to other informational and interesting physical phenomena and objects, not just geology. But if that's all we're going to get, then let's get on with it.

Even after reading everything at that site and perusing a few cache pages listed there, there is still some uncertainty in my mind as to what reviewers are going to be looking for. For example: On one page at that site it explains what a virtual cache is and then on the submission form it requests information for the long description:"Details about the cache, including contents of the cache, what the container looks like, etc.". That is in conflict with my understanding of what a virtual cache is.

So in light of that abiguity I would like to ask: If I set it up an earthcache in places where a physical cache is allowed, can I set up a log-only micro cache?

Thanks for the new feature to geocaching.

The geocaching.com reviewers have questioned that ambiguity repeatedly. The guidelines listed on that site need to be updated. Earthcaches can also be physical in some situations. Some of the existing ones are, if I remember correctly.

However the reviewers for geocaching.com do not review Earthcaches. They are submitted to and reviewed by the Geological Society of America. Once accepted, they work directly with Jeremy to post the caches here.

I'm sorry but that's all I know. :(

For more information you can email the owner of all the existing Earthcaches.

Edited by Hemlock
Is this the new direction of Groundspeak?

Oh my yes. Our future is obviously world domination through subversive religion masquerading as science. That is, once I get the geocaching attributes done and some other high-priority items.

I knew it! I knew it!

I win!!!

Everybody pay up in the "How does Groundspeak go 'Evil' from here?" pool.

Darn those observation-based predictive guides (aka theories), eh, worldtraveler?

Next they'll be forcing the religion of gravity masquerading as scientific theory too! Just like Jeremy, Groundspeak, and the Geological Society, if you ask me!

Why's the man always gotta keep us down?

/pun intended...

I'm sorry to have to say this but I just don't get the whole GSA angle when the Earth Cache resides outside of the USA.

I have no intention of making into some political debate, but I fail to understand why GEOCACHING.COM does not host the submission rules for an Earth Cache.

I live and cache in Canada, and I read the GSA stuff and I really doubt that anyone here in Parks Canada or Parks Ontario or any Crown Land is going to care what GSA says about the suitability of an Earth Cache.

That being said, why would I submit my proposed Earth Cache to the GSA? I should submit it to my local approver "Cache-Tech" and based upon the guidelines that should be in place at Geocaching.com my local approver would decide.

Let's be honest, if Geocaching.com was based in Chile, or Nepal, or Iceland.... would any of this work when someone wanted to submit an Earth Cache in the United States?

So if someone can explain to me why the GSA has final say, or any say for that matter, about the suitability of an Earth Cache that is submitted outside of the USA, that would be great.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

The Groundspeak Volunteer's Earthcache Song

(with Apologies to Sam Cooke)

Don't know much about history

Don't know much geology

Don't know much about a science book

Don't know much about the rocks I took

But I do know that if GSA

Can look at Earthcaches in an informed way

What a wonderful world this would be

Not according to Gary Lewis, the approver for the GSA.

Once he gives his approval it goes to GC.com for final approval.

If you go to the earthcache web site and scroll to the bottom you'll see caches pending GC.com approval, and yes mine is one of them. In his letter to me Mr Lewis said it would most likely take 2-3 weeks for GC approval. <_<

Edited by Simulatmore

Hi together,

does anyone know why Earthcaches don't get approved anymore?

We submitted ours before Xmas and since then it is pending approval from gc.com like some others as well.

We sent Jeremy a mail on january 21st but didn't get an answer.

If it has to do with "the big change" concerning virtual caches a short information wouldn't be a bad idea. Having to wait over a month for approval without knowing the matter is not very enjoyable...

Greetings,

Balla & Silly

To clarify, the volunteer cache reviewers have absolutely no involvement in the Earthcache review and listing process. We see them in the queue of pending caches but that is all. Even though I stared at a Pennsylvania earthcache in my queue for many weeks, I had no authority to press the button to list it.

The correct contacts with questions about a pending Earthcache submission are geoaware (for the GSA) and the contact at geocaching dot com e-mail address.

Yes, we know that Earthcaches can only be approved by Jeremy, not by all the other approvers. That's the problem. We still don't understand why something interesting like earthcaches was created when they get checked by Gary within 2 days and then nothing happens anymore. We are waiting 6 weeks for approval now and didn't even get an answer to our emails. That's a bit frustrating... :rolleyes:

Greetings,

Balla & Silly

I agree completely.... and yes it's because I have an EARTH CACHE stuck in the ether too.

I have corresponded with Gary from the GSA (nice fellow, and I'm not sucking up) and he told me the same things I've seen posted here.

1.... Geocacher submits an EarthCache to the GSA

2.... The GSA (Gary) reviews the cache and posts it if approved.

3.... Someone at Geocaching.com converts it from a Virtual to an Earth Cache and presses the big green button labelled "APPROVED"

I submitted mine on Jan 01st of 2005, in hopes of being the first Earth Cache in my region.

After three weeks I contacted both the GSA and my local approver Cache-Tech. Cache-Tech said "Yup, see it, along with 4 others in Canada, can't approve it though since I don't have the authority" Cache-Tech sent a reminder to whoever approvers send emails to and pointed out that there were several Earth Caches in the cue.

Here we sit another two weeks later (okay, 35 days, but who's counting) and as I read this thread....

Someone approves the EarthCaches, and they might be Jeremy only, or it might be the GSA, or there is a third option that is more vague than that.

All I want to know is the same thing as everyone else in the 'holding pattern'....

"Who, by Geocaching Alias, approves the Earth Caches so that they can become ACTIVE and found?" and "When can we expect to see this happen?"

If the idea has been scrapped, or put on hold, or is being retooled just let us know.

And like someone else mentioned.... asking the GSA to verify answers to questions seems to be a lot of work for them. Mine has ten questions alone. I cannot picture Gary opening a file and double checking answers to an Earth Cache he has never visited.

I, on the other hand, would be happy to verify the answers of my own Earth Cache.

<_< The Blue Quasar