What's An Earthcache?

Team GeoDillo

Earthcache reference here

I too am curious and spent some time speculating what it could be. We will know in due time I guess. In the meantime.....can we guess at it?

Earthcache is......

A cache that blends into the environment? Like a fake rock?

A cache where you leave a stone to mark your encounter?

Ok, lame guesses. Does anyone have better ones?

I think an earthcache is going to be the replacement for locationless caches. I think the current locationless cache will probably be allowed to stay, but no more will be approved. Now when people find a cool man made object or natural feature, they'll be able to create an earthcache out of it and unlike locationless caches, it can be logged multiple times.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Hmm, what's the maintenance for a cache like that? My dad and I have quite a few from his geology lesson plans...like where all the marble used in DC comes from or the most abundant site for fossils in Maryland. But it sounds like you have to be involved/part of the society to place these "caches".

I wonder if MLB would pay enough to make pastimecaches a future type...

That's right. It is a partnership with the Geological Societly of America. We've been working with the National Park Service to get caches into their parks, and this is one project that involves them in a positive way. Earthcaches will have their own icon and will only be listed after they are blessed by the Geological Society of America.

The GSA and I are putting together some documents to introduce the activity to the geocaching community. It's a neat way to educate folks about the geological formations around the world.

Earthcaches will have their own icon and will only be listed after they are blessed by the Geological Society of America.

It's a neat way to educate folks about the geological formations around the world.

How is the GSA going to decide about caches placed outside the American continent ????????

Or is this going to be a "US only" feature again?

BalkanSabranje

Would it be possible to have a non-virtual Earthcache?  I'm a geologist, and have placed a trad cache near a very cool rock.  Its called "Ancient Worm Trails" , check it out, with pictures here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4a-38560cec6163

Very interesting! Also, being a geologist, will you be able to get your caches like this sanctioned with the Geological Society easier than most of us amatur rockhounders?

It will be interesting to see how tough the rules & regs to get the 'Special Icon' attached to your cache will be. I do hope it will be not to difficult...

Jeremy, I too, like your new avatar...except, you look so danged young! <_<

Thank you for all of the info so far. We will now wait patienly to see what fun we may come from this new feature of the game.

Shirley~

Well, I don't know. Since we haven't officially launched the earthcache concept, I can't give you every answer. I'd assume that geologists worldwide and their organizations may get involved somehow. Once we officially launch it feel free to ask then. At that time there will be someone more qualified than myself to answer your question.

oooh, jeremy! please allow me the OT opportunity to say that i like the new avatar very much. it makes you looks like just a regular guy. a pleasant regular guy. have you lost some weight? you're looking fit.

My my my! You and your brother look so much alike! (I met your brother at the March CACHE meeting :ph34r:)

If I find a really pretty pebble, would that be a microEarthcache? Soon, people would be griping in the forums about the influx of lame microEarthcaches, and reminiscing about the good old days when Earthcaching meant going out into the woods to find a nice big boulder.

:ph34r: That would be funny if it wasn't so true!

Regardless of whatever they do here there are going to be the complainers. If Groundspeak gave us each 10,000 dollars there would be those that would complain that we still had to pay the taxes on it.

Those of us that enjoy the sport have to ignore those people. It's like any business, you really don't hear from your happy customers just the unhappy ones.

(Sorry, I got off topic there)

Back on topic. I think the earthcache is a great concept. Just like through geocaching how I've found all these parks near me that I never knew existed it will be cool to find interesting locations/objects that may have been a few miles from my home that I would have otherwise never knew about.

Would it be possible to have a non-virtual Earthcache? I'm a geologist, and have placed a trad cache near a very cool rock. Its called "Ancient Worm Trails" , check it out, with pictures here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4a-38560cec6163

According to the Geological Society of America's earthcache guidelines, "Earthcaches can only be virtual caches". However, Jeremy said "Even better" to your question. So which one is it? :rolleyes:

An e-mail quote from the GSA guy behind it all

The reason that we are seeting up Earthcahces as virtual is that many of these will be located in National Parks...where only virtual caches will be allowed.  Also, we are trying to make people visiting it them appreciate the geological lesson, rather than hunt for a cache container.  I realise that there are a lod of people who are only interested in finding a cache container (my daughters are two of them)...but the whole  idea here is that the lesson is the find!

"An Earthcache is an educational virtual geocache through which visitors learn about the fascinating planet on which we live — its landscapes, its geology or the minerals and fossils that are found there". There are a lot of virtuals out there that do this already ! Just what is the point of a "earthcache" ? My problem that I have is they can't come up with a way to manage "locationless" caches so they do away with them . They can't come up with a way to manage virtuals so they eliminate them . SO they create a totaly new style of cache Yep lets eliminate two to create one ? Makes no sense to me!!!! Don't get me wrong I have no problem with what the intentions are in teaching about the "planet we live on" but lets manage what we already have before we create more to manage!!

"An Earthcache is an educational virtual geocache through which visitors learn about the fascinating planet on which we live — its landscapes, its geology or the minerals and fossils that are found there". There are a lot of virtuals out there that do this already  ! Just what is the point of a "earthcache"  ? My problem that I have is they can't come up with a way to manage "locationless" caches so they do away with them  . They can't come up with a way to manage virtuals so they eliminate them  . SO they create a totaly new style of cache  Yep lets eliminate two to create one  ? Makes no sense to me!!!! Don't get me wrong I have no problem with what the intentions are in teaching about the "planet we live on" but lets manage what we already have before we create more to manage!!

I beleive a BIG part of the earthcaches is they are being sponsored and supported by the National Parks Service.

Currently the National Park Service doesn't even allow virtuals in their parks.

I'm not 100% certain on my statement so anyone feel free to correct it if needed.

Edited by Eric K
"An Earthcache is an educational virtual geocache through which visitors learn about the fascinating planet on which we live — its landscapes, its geology or the minerals and fossils that are found there". There are a lot of virtuals out there that do this already  ! Just what is the point of a "earthcache"  ? My problem that I have is they can't come up with a way to manage "locationless" caches so they do away with them  . They can't come up with a way to manage virtuals so they eliminate them  . SO they create a totaly new style of cache  Yep lets eliminate two to create one  ? Makes no sense to me!!!! Don't get me wrong I have no problem with what the intentions are in teaching about the "planet we live on" but lets manage what we already have before we create more to manage!!

I beleive a BIG part of the earthcaches is they are being sponsored and supported by the National Parks Service.

I'm not 100% certain on my statement so anyone feel free to correct it if needed.

So you mean to tell me since they are being sponsered they will be able to manage a "Earthcache Virtual" better than a regular virtual? I totally understand the purpose behind having sponsors. So now the next question is, are the days of "server errors" over?

So you mean to tell me since they are being sponsered they will be able to manage a "Earthcache Virtual" better than a regular virtual? I totally understand the purpose behind having sponsors. So now the next question is, are the days of "server errors" over?

No I am not saying anything. I am speculating. I am saying I think it will be good for the sport to have the National Park Service working WITH geocaching instead of AGAINST geocaching.

No I am not saying anything. I am speculating. I am saying I think it will be good for the sport to have the National Park Service working WITH geocaching instead of AGAINST geocaching.

That is true, I agree with that Eric K. However the National Park Service and Groundspeak working together does not mean better managment of any given style of a cache. Lets fine tune the protocol of a regular virtual before we create a differant style of a virtual. After all a virtual is a virtual regardless of the word you put in front of the word virtual.

oooh, jeremy! please allow me the OT opportunity to say that i like the new avatar very much. it makes you looks like just a regular guy. a pleasant regular guy. have you lost some weight? you're looking fit.

You might want to check your nose, I see something brown. ;)

Now that you changed your pic, Jeremy, the pic we all took at GeoWoodstock making that thing with our hand might not make as much sense...

As for getting back on topic... As for D&E's discussion... No, this might not mean a better management of something, but if the powers that be work with the parks and manage to get a few approved here and there, then perhaps it is the first step in getting more permission to utilize our parks more frequently for more uses.