Cache Types

Team Cache-away

When I get the weekly cache notification, all the caches are listed as regular or multi, then when I open a particular cache page I find out it is a micro. This is quite annoying as I don't like to do micros. I understand that micro denotes the size of the cache, but it would be nice if in this case it denote the type of cache not the size. I believe that a micro is in fact a type of cache unto itself. Any cache not able to hold trade items would be a micro, cache sizes then could be small, regular and large.

Please define the type of cache for us, in that case!

It is not easy. There is nothing between a big ammobox and a film canister.

In our country are the most caches made out of 1L food or icecream boxes, or smaller ones of that type. How do you choose type when you have placed a 0.3L food container. It is much smaller than an ammo box, and 4 times the size of a film canister.

And also, when you read about american caches, sometimes the micros are named "nano" or "supermicro" and then you look at it, and it is the size of a film canister..

I do not agree that micros are a special kind of geocaching.

If micros are not a category unto themselves and should be identified as a micro, then how do you explain Locationless, or virtual, or "What's in a Name". Those are certainly far less a cache than a micro but have thier own category. As for the cache type, it would still be displayed as a regular cache, only the size on the cache page would indicate small, regular or large. As virtuals have the little ghost, micros could have a film cannister.

Edited by Jackdawg

You can't compare an apple with a banana!

Whatever kind of container, it is still a traditional cache if it contains of ONE cache.

If it is more than one container (or steps), then it is a multicache.

It can also be a mystery cache.

But a virtual cache doesn't have a container, neither does locationless or webcam caches.

That is a big difference.

I have seen micros that are a few millimeters big, and I have seen micros that are huge as a house. Are we talking about the space for the logbook or the actual item that are hidden?

For example, a micro cache stone are not small. It is quite big, but it contains just a film canister. Therefor can it be a micro (the container itself) or a regular (the stone)??

When I get the weekly cache notification, all the caches are listed as regular or multi, then when I open a particular cache page I find out it is a micro. This is quite annoying as I don't like to do micros. I understand that micro denotes the size of the cache, but it would be nice if in this case it denote the type of cache not the size. I believe that a micro is in fact a type of cache unto itself. Any cache not able to hold trade items would be a micro, cache sizes then could be small, regular and large.

"all the caches are listed as regular or multi"

No they aren't. They're traditional or multi (or others). But you won't find "regular" mentioned in the mailing.

"Regular" is a cache size. "Traditional" is a cache type. The weekly mailing lists cache types, not cache sizes. A Traditional cache is a single-stage physical cache that is placed at the posted coordinates. A Traditional cache can be of Regular, Micro, Large, or Unknown size.

Could the size be mentioned in the mailing? No reason why it couldn't. But currently, it isn't.

<<SNIP>>then how do you explain Locationless, or virtual, or "What's in a Name". Those are certainly far less a cache than a micro but have thier own category. <<SNIP>>

There you go. You answered your own question there. They are not caches. That's why they are listed as something else. Micros are still caches.

... They're traditional or multi (or others). But you won't find "regular" mentioned in the mailing.

"Regular" is a cache size. "Traditional" is a cache type. The weekly mailing lists cache types, not cache sizes. A Traditional cache is a single-stage physical cache that is placed at the posted coordinates. A Traditional cache can be of Regular, Micro, Large, or Unknown size.

Could the size be mentioned in the mailing? No reason why it couldn't. But currently, it isn't.

Matt hit the nail on the head! A simple addition of the container size to the email notification would make it more precise.

Happy Trails!

I think maybe it's time to think about becoming a premium member and learning the joys of pocket queries. One of the nice features of pocket queries is the number of things you can filter on (in or out). With a pocket query, you can easily filter out micros. You can also filter out virtuals, locationless, etc. Don't like 3* terrain or above? Filter out those too. Only interested in caches with travelbugs in them? No problem. The Premium membership is a bargain.

--Marky

There you go. You answered your own question there. They are not caches. That's why they are listed as something else. Micros are still caches.

Then why are locationless and :smile: virtual counted towards your total finds. If they are not caches then a lot of people had better adjust thier totals. How many of these non-caches are in your total count? Perhaps someday micros will be recognized in the seperate category that they belong in. Until then we will just have to stay as we are because progression may lead to confussion.

And for those that get hung up on correct grammar (traditional vs regular) there may be lots here to keep you busy, enjoy!! :ph34r:

Normally I wouldn’t waste my time answering a trolling post....but I’ll play along.

Locationless started as more of a goof. They then grew to be abused by people who just wanted to rack up numbers for hidden and found caches.

Virtuals were created to allow people to place caches in areas that a traditional cache couldn’t be placed. They too became abused by a different (and sometimes the same) group of people.

I have found 7 Locationless caches. These were found as a goof.

I have found 32 Virtual caches. Some were fantastic.

And to save you from asking I have found over 300 total caches.

Maybe you could use the search function on the forums here to read the numerous threads about this very subject. Then you’ll know the reason the owners of GC.com have this set up the way it is. You’ll also know why they’re in the category they’re supposed to be in already.

Perhaps someday micros will be recognized in the seperate category that they belong in. Until then we will just have to stay as we are because progression may lead to confussion.

Confusion? I don't see any confusion. Micros are already recognized in the category they belong: Cache size = Micro. Nothing at all confusing about that. The only time it might be confusing is if the cache hider didn't select a cache size.

--Marky

Speaking of cache types, I have several caches that require multiple legs and solving a puzzle. Are they multis or mystery/puzzle caches? I also have a multi that ends up at a webcam. How do I classify that? My point is that the current classification system is too restrictive. In actuality, a cache can be more than one "type", but it can't be listed as such. Caches should have a check box to list all types they fall under. You could have multi puzzle caches, You could have puzzle virtuals. You could have multi webcams and puzzle webcams. You could even have a multi puzzle virtual.

Why not just have check boxes for listing cache types?