New - Wondering About Gps

usroute17

I am new to Geocaching. I am wondering if it would be better to buy a GPS without a compass and buy a compass seperately or buy a GPS with an electronic compass. :D

Thoughts please. :D

Thanks,

usroute17

The built in compass is a nice a feature, but it's always good to have a hand-held compass as back-up, even if it's an inexpensive one. Remember, they don't use batteries, don't get blocked by the canopy etc etc. Basically, what it boils down to is budget and how many toys you like...

Get both! The built in electronic compass is great, and it never hurts to have a backup manual compass with you (you can get one for $5-10).

When you use your GPS the navigation needle only works when you are moving, unless you have a built in compass. Some caches are easy where the terrain is open and you walk right up to them. Others you will wonder around for a while. When you wonder around you don't move a lot and you don't move very fast so the built in compass helps a lot here. Plus you don't have to tie up another hand switching back and forth between your compass and GPSr.

Still there are plenty of folks out there without the built in compass that get by fine.

Also if are using your GPSr with a map the built in compass is good since most of the time I am stopped while looking at my map.

I use a std baseplate compass, no battereis etc. For the extra cost of a compass in a GPS I would rather put the money toward software or boots or even a pair of walking sticks.

By the way, a magnetic compass in a GPS is not effected by the canopy, also if you do by a GPS with a compass get one with a tri axial compass so that you do not have to hold it level.

I have an eTrex Vista with an electronic compass but rarely use the compass because of the need to hold it level (I love the unit except for this issue).

The GPSr prompts you when you're not holding it level, but gives no clue about which way to tilt the unit to achieve level (it can be suprisingly hard to figure out when you're standing in the woods on uneven terrain - and constantly tilting it this way and that to find level gets old very fast). I went so far as to buy a small bublle level for this purpose, but then you might as well just carry a separate compass! At this point, I usually just walk quickly for a few paces so that the GPSr navigation mode can find the bearing.

I've never heard of a tri-axial compass (mentioned by JohnnyVegas) and don't know which units have it, but if I had it to do over again, I'd certainly look for one!

Finally, as others have noted, it's a good idea to carry a non-battery operated compass in any event (if you're out long enough, even a spare set of batteries is no guarantee). I'm with everyone else - if you can afford it, try to find a GPSr with a tri-axial compass. If you're on a tight budget, use a separate compass.

Below is a near-perfect example of the 3-axis electronic compass on the MeriPlat. It makes for easy triangulation on the move as it will point to the GOTO waypoint as well as indicating the bearing I'm walking and which way is North.

It's a bit fuzzy but you can see the example here in my pic. The darkened arrow is pointing at the GOTO, the skinny arrow is pointing my COG, and the dotted line is the bearing I have the compass pointed in. N is magnetic North.

IMAGE003.JPG

Edited by TotemLake

I forgot to mention that the triaxial compass is used in a couple of the Magellans, Meridian Platinum and Sportrack color. But as has been said, of the over 500 caches I have found I may have used a compass 5 times.Put the extra money toward "Good boots" not the garbage and Wally World, K Fart ect.