What NOT to put in a cache

Team Cthulhu

hey I am hopefully going to go hunting for my first cache(got an etrex for Xmas from my husband!!) this weekend and wanted everyones opinion/ideas on what is/isn't good to put in a cache. I got that used golfballs and McDonald toys are definitely irritating to most people.

What about old magazines? I have not-too-old issues of Spin and Parents, I think someone might be interested in reading, but am not sure if thats a good idea or not. Other than that I am thinking perhaps books and used cds. Any ideas for good items for those on a very tight budget? I

This is an easy one!

Good: Something you'd want to find.

Bad: something you wouldn't want to find.

I have no problem with used golf balls or McToys, as long as they are in good condition.

Ditto on your magazines (as long as they are family appropriate of course.) My only concern would be to place them in a cache that is big enough, waterproof, and gets a fair amount of traffic.

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

Bad: FOOD ITEMS! Say no to food in caches!

There are many things that I leave in caches that I wouldn't want to trade for, but somebody else might. For example, I might have a CD that I don't care for, but is a popular artist. I wouldn't feel bad about leaving that because there are people out there who would really like it.

Good: Pooping cows. We know that everyone loves pooping cows. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

As above, just follow the golden rule. If you don't want something, don't put it into a cache.

Food and scent-bearing items are a problem because they attract critters.

Don't need to go nuts on the budget, just look for stuff you would find interesting at the end of a hike.

Have fun.

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeo:

The only thing I have a problem with is anything with liquid in it. I personally have had 3 caches ruined by things that have leaked. Kiddie bubbles are especially bad because they come in cheap containers that tend to leak.

Not just liquids, But freezable liquids. Cheap snow globes, those squishy balls thingys, and Bubbles solution. One of those ended up in a cache of mine. it froze up and blew the cap off, and covered the inside of container with semi-sticky gunk. Luckily everything but it was in ziplocks so it was fairly easy to clean upicon_wink.gif

22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

Hey,the Cacheola Crew LIKES McDonald's toys. (some of them, anyhow!) If any of you happen to be hiding any Treasure Planet toys near me, let me know! Otherwise, I have to eat at McDonald's six more times to collect enough for the boys to make the "map". UGH!

Janine

of Cacheola Crew

"You have brains in your head; You have feet in your shoes.

You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own. And you know what you know.

And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...."

Dr. Seuss

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

McToys get a bad rap. Sometimes a McToy is better than a dollar store trinket... it is just the dirty used McToys that turn people off, I think.

When Chaos & I are out geocaching together, we hit the drive-thru for lunch & share a happy meal. You should see the cashier trying to hand out the meal thru a 2 inch crack because Chaos has his head out my window. icon_biggrin.gif

I ask them not to put the McToy in the bag with the food. Then I leave it in the original package & trade it.

I put a Treasure Planet toy in my Appalacian Trail Dog Geocache last week, but it is gone already.

71835_3300.gif

I read in some past posts about people being annoyed about happy meal toys, but I don't think it would necessarily be bad. I generally don't eat at MickyD's but sometimes think they have good toys- it would definitely be healthier to geocache for a toy than eat the meal(hopefully my son will feel the same way when he's old enough to articulate his opinions!!)

No offense to those that eat there, of course- almost everyone i know, including my husband eats that stuff...

I found a small bottle of bodywash in a cache about a month ago. The bottle was leaking.

I traded for something else in the cache, and "got rid of the trash". I just need to take that little bottle and toss it in the garbage... its been riding in the back seat of my car along with all the other trash that rides back there between cleanings... lol

W8TVI

MIGO_logo_animated88x31.gif

GeoX Geocaching gear!

originally posted by Penny & Chaos

I ask them not to put the McToy in the bag with the food. Then I leave it in the original package & trade it.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/71835_3300.gif

Good idea, that has never occured to me. I presume keeping the McToy away from the food is to help prevent the critters from sniffing out the cache. That's using your noggin.

-------------------------------------------------

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne

If the main worry is the dampness of these small toys, could a silica packet work? (Not sure if I'm thinking of the right thing or not...) If the cache is big enough, I've been getting rid of my "I'll never watch this again" DVDs. I like the idea of the signature CDs I've seen, but I'm thinking of actually burning one w/ usuable stuff on it... Any thoughts?

-Mixster

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Bullet's and other explosive devices.

Near to where I work is a cache into which someone has placed a Cigarette lighter. And, the cache is in a wood... I did think of removing it, but decided it wasn't up to me to police what someone else puts into a cache that doesn't belong to me. I still worry about what might happen in a dry summer should something happen to that lighter though. icon_eek.gif

I also came across a soap bar in a cache that had become waterlogged. icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not really looking for 'quality' swap items, in fact I seem to major on collecting Yo-yos, but some items, like those mentioned, seem a bit daft given the location and the weather in the UK.

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

Near to where I work is a cache into which someone has placed a Cigarette lighter. And, the cache is in a wood... I did think of removing it, but decided it wasn't up to me to police what someone else puts into a cache that doesn't belong to me. I still worry about what might happen in a dry summer should something happen to that lighter though. icon_eek.gif

You could always trade for the lighter. Then there's no worry, and you don't have to feel like a policeman icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Even though the lifesavers were individuality wrapped, in a ziplock, in a plastic pail, Mr or Mrs wild animal can still smell them and will trash a cache to get them......Please remember NO FOOD....that concludes my ranting for awhile icon_smile.gif

If people persist in trespassing upon the grizzlies territory,we must accept that the grizzlies,

from time to time,will harvest a few trespassers.

-- Edward Abbey

I just started caching this week and after checking out some of the forum and cache pages, I thought that some of the more interesting things to find would be items made by some other cacher, like the small coins some people made. Anything like a token or wooden nickel type item with the geocachers mark or symbol printed or imprinted would be fairly cool IMHO. Even some small item with a sticker like a poker chip would be cheap and have some value of the non-monetary kind. Any comments?

WrongWayRandall

Two good rules of thumb: Think small! Think useful! Most containers don't have the room required for books, magazines, etc. I keep a stuff sack in my pack that has has a 1/2 dozen or so different items. A roll or two of electrical tape, some hat pins (collectors love them) A CD, Foreign coins, etc. Also, something very useful for most geocachers or any outdoor lover is an emergency fire starter kit. I make my own using birthday candles (in windy or wet conditions, you'll use up your matches in no time. Lite a candle then lite the campfire) and a book of matches in a plastic film cannister. Very inexpensive, very small, and maybe a lifesaver.

Cheers,

Yanke