Sign in to follow this  
Followers 93
Jeremy

Gpx Application Developers

Since the sandbox is not yet up, we will be adding a new size "mini" to the list of supported sizes for caches. This is based on the continuing request to have a size between Micro and Regular.

I mentioned this in another post, but I'll mention it again here.

Could you do us a favor and call it something other than anything that starts with a "m," "r," or "l" so we can have unique abbreviation for the size between "micro" and "regular?"

It would be much appreciated.

I was thinking "small."

Here in the US, people are used to "small," "medium," and "large." In my mind "medium" and "regular" are interchangable. Of course, this is an international hobby so I don't know how well that works in the rest of the world.

While I'm here typing this I'm also struck that "small" might convey a size just smaller than "regular." "Tiny" might get confused by some like myself who might think of "tiny" as smaller than even a micro. I guess once you get used to it, just about anything will work as long as it has a unique initial.

Small got a lot of traction. Since it is good for abbreviations, we'll be using that.

Not sure why changing a size to small would involve having example gpx files distributed to everyone. Just rename an existing gpx size type from geocaching.com to "small" and test it with your software.

I am curious... is there a forum for discussion about creating open source apps for geocaching?

Would be interesting to see what programming projects would blossom with open source collaboration going on...

(Not a developer... I just kinda wish I was one.) :lol:

Edited by Sparrowhawk

In case it wasn't already obvious, I probably should poke my head in here and say 'add me to the developers list' too.

I'm planning an application, pre design phase as yet. Please add me to the Gpx Application Developer mailing list.

Gary Young

Nudecacher

Head's up. You will start seeing Earthcache as a cache type by Friday. There will be no new log types (yet)

<type>Geocache|Earthcache</type>

also, new container size will be updatable by then.

<Groundspeak:container>Small</Groundspeak:container>

Thank you for the update.

The last time I checked, the grounspeak extensions to the GPX schema didn't include an exhaustive list of valid tag/attribute values for XML validation. Is there a section of the site where such valid values are listed in a table? It would be much easier that receiving notification changes to the schema piecemeal through this thread.

Also, it would be great if that same table referenced any relevant graphical representations of the attributes / values (where applicable) for the sake of a consistent user experience across the applications handling GPX files.

Regards,

-Fabien.

I'll work on getting a list together.

Unfortunately I can't authorize our images for use in applications since there is no formal licensing agreement and I don't want to give anyone the impression that Groundspeak endorses (read: supports) any application that uses these images.

Head's up. You will start seeing Earthcache as a cache type by Friday. There will be no new log types (yet)

<type>Geocache|Earthcache</type>

also, new container size will be updatable by then.

<Groundspeak:container>Small</Groundspeak:container>

did you mean this friday or next?

also, is the sandbox still being worked on?

The "Small" size has been added to the "report a cache" page, so you'll start seeing it in GPX files.

The "Small" size has been added to the "report a cache" page, so you'll start seeing it in GPX files.

Thanx for the note. Should that be added to the PQ generator page at gcquery.aspx ? That way that those people that love smalls (but hate micros) can select just those or those.

I suspect that logging a find for it will be difficult though:

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Argument 'Array' is Nothing.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Argument 'Array' is Nothing.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: Argument 'Array' is Nothing.]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.Information.UBound(Array Array, Int32 Rank) +131

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowLogOptions() +89

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowNewLogInfo() +226

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +5163

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +753

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Coming in a bit late here, but I'd like to be added to the mailing list to.

Thanks!

You can download the GPX to test.

Do you have a place where we can download this 'test' GPX, or do I have to run one myself on this (and burn one for today :) )?

You can download the GPX to test.

Do you have a place where we can download this 'test' GPX, or do I have to run one myself on this (and burn one for today :) )?

How about the cache page he was linking to?

I'd appreciate being added to the mailing list.

I am also looking forward to this "sandbox".

My PalmOS apps don't use .gpx files per se, but the changes in cache type and log options are important.

Thanks,

Dave_W6DPS

Jeremy,

Has any thought been given to creating an XML file for travel bug information? I would love to have the ability to create a BQ (Bug Query) for travel bugs. When then development box is in place will be have the ability to perform ad hoc queries for travel bug information?

Zack

I'm hoping we get "last found date", "archived on date" and "disabled on date" data elements. This information can't always be reliably determined from the logs provided.

Having this included in the GPX files would help a lot with database maintenance and cleanup.

Please add me to the list.

I've thrown together a simple app that converts GPX files into individual text files of waypoint information. By naming the text file with the waypoint name I can load these onto my iPod and go paperless caching. It's very basic but it works pretty well.

Please add me to the list.

I've thrown together a simple app that converts GPX files into individual text files of waypoint information. By naming the text file with the waypoint name I can load these onto my iPod and go paperless caching. It's very basic but it works pretty well.

superpuppy,

I'm sure the people over in this thread about using an iPod would appreciate a visit from you with info about your app.

Thanks,

Kenneth

I too would like to be add, I am starting to work with XML and gpx files for my own uses.

-Robert

PS - I second Prime Suspects request for those fields.

Please sign me up for the mail list.

I also would like to see TB PQ's. Particualrily usefull for updating TB race websites for one.

Thanks

I want to remind developers that there will soon be two new cache log types.

Temporarily Disable Listing

and

Enable Listing

Thanks. They should up early next week when we implement the new Cache Attributes feature.

Just FYI, but the new logging types will be available today or tomorrow, and will be showing up in Pocket Queries some time after.

Can anyone provide a link to the GPX format?

I hung up my programming hat 1 1/2 years ago, but it looks like I have a reason to break out my compilers once more.

Thanx,

Lynx

The GPX definition is at http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp .

As an aside, contrary to the common use in this crowd, GPX "proper" doesn't have any geocaching-specific elements. That's done by the Groundspeak extended namespace in GPX.

The GPX definition is at http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp .

As an aside, contrary to the common use in this crowd, GPX "proper" doesn't have any geocaching-specific elements. That's done by the Groundspeak extended namespace in GPX.

Thats for the link and the info!

I appreciate it,

Lynx

Adding two new log types within the next 2 weeks:

Publish Listing

Retract Listing

These will be new action logs for when the listings become published to the site or when the listing is retracted (or some would call unapproved/approved).

Any ideas what Microsoft might have in mind for this ?

GPS Encoded URL Patent

Any developers here see a good application for this ?

Dunno, but it has nothing to do with this thread. Please post a new one.

Maybe this has been asked before, but does someone have an xslt for transforming a gpx file into a summary grid with things like sorting and then a drill down to a detail view?

GPX Spinner is great but I would like just the xslt file.

In my last note I said spinner, I meant watcher... :blink: I still want to transform gpx files to nice functional html though...