Gpx Application Developers

Jeremy

Since the sandbox is not yet up, we will be adding a new size "mini" to the list of supported sizes for caches. This is based on the continuing request to have a size between Micro and Regular.

I mentioned this in another post, but I'll mention it again here.

Could you do us a favor and call it something other than anything that starts with a "m," "r," or "l" so we can have unique abbreviation for the size between "micro" and "regular?"

It would be much appreciated.

I was thinking "small."

Here in the US, people are used to "small," "medium," and "large." In my mind "medium" and "regular" are interchangable. Of course, this is an international hobby so I don't know how well that works in the rest of the world.

While I'm here typing this I'm also struck that "small" might convey a size just smaller than "regular." "Tiny" might get confused by some like myself who might think of "tiny" as smaller than even a micro. I guess once you get used to it, just about anything will work as long as it has a unique initial.

Small got a lot of traction. Since it is good for abbreviations, we'll be using that.

Not sure why changing a size to small would involve having example gpx files distributed to everyone. Just rename an existing gpx size type from geocaching.com to "small" and test it with your software.

Thank you for the update.

The last time I checked, the grounspeak extensions to the GPX schema didn't include an exhaustive list of valid tag/attribute values for XML validation. Is there a section of the site where such valid values are listed in a table? It would be much easier that receiving notification changes to the schema piecemeal through this thread.

Also, it would be great if that same table referenced any relevant graphical representations of the attributes / values (where applicable) for the sake of a consistent user experience across the applications handling GPX files.

Regards,

-Fabien.

Head's up. You will start seeing Earthcache as a cache type by Friday. There will be no new log types (yet)

<type>Geocache|Earthcache</type>

also, new container size will be updatable by then.

<Groundspeak:container>Small</Groundspeak:container>

did you mean this friday or next?

also, is the sandbox still being worked on?

I suspect that logging a find for it will be difficult though:

Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Argument 'Array' is Nothing.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: Argument 'Array' is Nothing.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Parameter name: Argument 'Array' is Nothing.]

Microsoft.VisualBasic.Information.UBound(Array Array, Int32 Rank) +131

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowLogOptions() +89

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.ShowNewLogInfo() +226

Geocaching.UI.LogBookPanel.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +5163

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +98

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +753

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Please add me to the list.

I've thrown together a simple app that converts GPX files into individual text files of waypoint information. By naming the text file with the waypoint name I can load these onto my iPod and go paperless caching. It's very basic but it works pretty well.

superpuppy,

I'm sure the people over in this thread about using an iPod would appreciate a visit from you with info about your app.

Thanks,

Kenneth