I Hate Webcam Caches

So far we have had threads against virtuals, locationless, and lame traditionals.

Webcam caches haven't taken any of that abuse so I thought it was time for this thread.

Walking back to my car last night after another exhausting 500' hike from yet another ammo can hidden under some logs, in yet another park I didn't know about, I wondered-why am I doing this? (Of course my wife has asked the same question for two years now :D .)

I have been searching for some really devious new micros lately, and really enjoy the mental challenge. :D

Finding some LC's last weekend during the normal Sunday cache hunt was a sweet bonus. :D

I have learned some very interesting facts from virtual caches that I might be able to use soon. :D

I have no interest in looking for (if you want to call it that) the webcam cache that has sat at the top of my 'nearest to' list for almost two years.

Wow, pay an admission fee, go into a museum, sit in front of the well marked news station's camera, call a friend on a cell phone, and have him save my picture.

Whoopdeeedooo. How is that geocaching? I thought it was all about finding stuff using a GPSr? :D

Amen! There are two or three webcam caches local to me that haunt my nearest unfound list. I just don't like the breed. I used to own a webcam cache, and the website died after just a few months. So many of the other webcams are out of order/difficult to navigate/incapable of taking a photo that identifies the geocacher as opposed to any old muggle strolling down the street. You don't need a GPS to find many of them. They require coordination with someone at a computer, unlike any other type of cache. Heck, I can barely use a GPS and a cellphone separately, let alone at the same time.

But, other folks like them, and there are webcams that take really good pictures. There are some in the nearby cities of Erie and State College where you can see the expression on the cacher's face, close-up. THOSE webcams, I might actually log, if I could figure out how.

Just like virtuals, micros, or any other type of cache, I say "live and let live." But I do hate webcams.

Amen! There are two or three webcam caches local to me that haunt my nearest unfound list. I just don't like the breed. I used to own a webcam cache, and the website died after just a few months. So many of the other webcams are out of order/difficult to navigate/incapable of taking a photo that identifies the geocacher as opposed to any old muggle strolling down the street. You don't need a GPS to find many of them. They require coordination with someone at a computer, unlike any other type of cache. Heck, I can barely use a GPS and a cellphone separately, let alone at the same time.

But, other folks like them, and there are webcams that take really good pictures. There are some in the nearby cities of Erie and State College where you can see the expression on the cacher's face, close-up. THOSE webcams, I might actually log, if I could figure out how.

Just like virtuals, micros, or any other type of cache, I say "live and let live." But I do hate webcams.

I agree...kind of but...

Most of the time I HATE most MICROS. So I just don't do them.

Don't like web cams? Don't do them. If they do mess up your ''pristine'' first search page, I guess you may have to do them. :D

They require coordination with someone at a computer, unlike any other type of cache. Heck, I can barely use a GPS and a cellphone separately, let alone at the same time.

Somebody posted a freeware app that could be setup to do a screen cap on your PC at specific time intervals. Anybody remember this or have a link?

Yes, it is difficult deciding what caches to do and whether or not they meet my personal critieria.

LOL!

[WARNING: This reply is heavily laced with sarcasm]

Yea, I hate freedom to pick and choose the caches that I want to hunt too. If they were all the same it would be much easier for everyone.

I think everything, but log books should be banned. Choosing which caches to hunt would be allot less taxing on our brains then and we could all concentrate on more important things like reality TV because there would be nothing to discuss or whine about in the forums. :D

SNOOG6.jpg

Amen!  There are two or three webcam caches local to me that haunt my nearest unfound list.  I just don't like the breed.  I used to own a webcam cache, and the website died after just a few months.  So many of the other webcams are out of order/difficult to navigate/incapable of taking a photo that identifies the geocacher as opposed to any old muggle strolling down the street.  You don't need a GPS to find many of them.  They require coordination with someone at a computer, unlike any other type of cache.  Heck, I can barely use a GPS and a cellphone separately, let alone at the same time.

But, other folks like them, and there are webcams that take really good pictures.  There are some in the nearby cities of Erie and State College where you can see the expression on the cacher's face, close-up.  THOSE webcams, I might actually log, if I could figure out how.

Just like virtuals, micros, or any other type of cache, I say "live and let live."  But I do hate webcams.

I agree...kind of but...

Most of the time I HATE most MICROS. So I just don't do them.

Don't like web cams? Don't do them. If they do mess up your ''pristine'' first search page, I guess you may have to do them. :D

I practice what I preach, and I just don't do them:

At 9.6 miles from my home coords, there's a webcam cache that's been there since 5/10/03. Currently #8 on my unfound caches list and previously higher on the list until a series of guardrail micros intervened.

At 12.4 miles from my home coords, there's a webcam cache that's been there since 12/23/02. It sits at #16 on my unfound caches list.

I don't worry much about having a pristine first page. I am leaving now to drive a couple hundred miles to find a bunch of caches with friends this weekend. The guardrail micros across the river from where I live will still be there when I get back. I just exclude webcams from my pocket queries, and I do most of my cache research on my PDA or using third-party software, so the search results here on the site just don't bother me.

Other people have logged these webcams and have really enjoyed them, as they are located in nice touristy sections of the city. More power to them and anyone else who finds this type of cache to be fun!