Metroguide V. City Select

MeSteve

Looking at Garmin.com I can't tell any difference in detail between the two other than the coverage of Canada, which I won't use anyways. Anyone who can elaborate please do so.

added: I realize that City Select is supposed to be the better of the two.

Edited by MeSteve

MetroGuide is for units that aren't capable of generating automatic turn-by-turn routes on the GPS (the Geko, Rino, and non-color Etrex series). CitySelect is for autorouting units (the 60C/CS, 76C/CS, Quest, the new color Etrex series). CityNavigator is for (and usually included with) the landscape form-factor automotive GPS units with voice prompts (it's almost identical to CitySelect, but the street/turn descriptions are longer).

Metro Guide Canada does generate auot-routing information. Basically with the current verison of City Select v6 vs Metro Guide Canada v4, City Select will have better urban coverage... things like new subdivisions and roads will appear in CS6 but not in MGC4. MGC4 does have more point of interest info... although it's also more out of date info.

City Select seem to have caught up with Metro Guide in the rural coverage in Canada, but people still report that Metro Guide is still better in some cases. Like you, I couldn't find any differences based on the Map Viewer. Also, in my experience City Select picks better routes for auto-routing.

So I would pick City Select if urban and auto-routing is a priority, otherwise pick Metro Guide for rural coverage. Also, the City Select license requires unlock codes but Metro Guide is lock free. Either one would be good for geocaching.

I personally choose to go with City Select v6, and I may get the Canada Topo maps (basically same maps as Metro Guide but with elevation info) to complete the package.

Metro Guide Canada does generate auot-routing information. Basically with the current verison of City Select v6 vs Metro Guide Canada v4, City Select will have better urban coverage... things like new subdivisions and roads will appear in CS6 but not in MGC4. MGC4 does have more point of interest info... although it's also more out of date info.

City Select seem to have caught up with Metro Guide in the rural coverage in Canada, but people still report that Metro Guide is still better in some cases. Like you, I couldn't find any differences based on the Map Viewer.  Also, in my experience City Select picks better routes for auto-routing.

So I would pick City Select if urban and auto-routing is a priority, otherwise pick Metro Guide for rural coverage. Also, the City Select license requires unlock codes but Metro Guide is lock free. Either one would be good for geocaching.

I personally choose to go with City Select v6, and I may get the Canada Topo maps (basically same maps as Metro Guide but with elevation info) to complete the package.

I'm a big fan of Metroguide 4.0 which IS routable.

It has more detail than City Select (has more water features like streams and rivers) and a smaller footprint size wise (POI database isn't as extensive).

The draw back is it's a few years old so recent street/highway construction may not be reflected but I like the fact I can squeeze MORE maps into my GPS 60cs than City Select.

Best of all it's cheaper. You can buy copies of Metroguide 4.0 for 30 bucks on ebay.

Metroguide 4 (at least i the areas I live) has more details like unnamed streets and access roads than City Select also.

For example Metroguide shows all the roads running through the cemetery across the street from my complex whereas City Select simply shows a green patch labeled 'cemetery'.

Edited by jollybgood

im also curious about this, ive noticed that on my copy of metroguide i get the oddest routes in and around halifax,NS... it always wants me to take the bedford highway (70km limit w/lights) as opposed to the 100 series that runs near it no matter if i choose faster or shorter distance (both of which the 100 series is). anyone in the HRM with a gpsmap 60c (or cs) that can shed some light ?

I'm in Halifax as well.I have noticed and posted this in the past.

The routing seems a little odd at times but will get you there if you are totally lost.

I believe it's in the "routing engine",I have heard City Select v 6 is much better??

I hate to buy more software,but would like to know if it is truly better.