Salt Lake City

JohnnyVegas

The airplane cache mentioned by kaayakanimal was a physical cache at one time. Created quite the stir when the bomb squad closed down the area and took it away.

As for all the virtuals, don't assume they're just walks in the park. Many of them are virtuals because of the wilderness area just east of the city. My favorite virtual is: GC1BF0 It's just a few minutes drive from the city center to the trailhead, and a days worth of climbing to actually log the cache.

There are a rediculous amount of caches to sort through in order to find the good stuff. Depending on what you like however, there a quite a few that can be very rewarding

I don't do that many virtuals but I like have a couple planed, that way if I am having a bad cache day (As in DNF-ietess) at least I can log a virtuals or two. One day I went 1 for 6, I almost sold my GPS :smile:

i am going to print some maps out of the area and hope to do some caches after dinner, unless I get boared with work, then I'll do more caching. I am my own boss so, work hard one day, play the next one. :ph34r:

I don't do that many virtuals but I like have a couple planed, that way if I am having a bad cache day (As in DNF-ietess) at least I can log a virtuals or two. One day I went 1 for 6, I almost sold my GPS :smile:

i am going to print some maps out of the area and hope to do some caches after dinner, unless I get boared with work, then I'll do more caching. I am my own boss so, work hard one day, play the next one. :ph34r:

I got skunked on a SLC virtual cache. Talk about embarrasing. Then I had to change my log because it described too much and was a spoiler. The irony about killed me.

So, another outdoor retailer?

Yes, there are quite a few virtuals in the City. I actually prefer them to the 35mm film canister or altoids can hidden under or on a lightpole or powerpole. You're not going to be able to place a lot of 50 caliber ammo boxes in the downtown area anyway. With the Mormon headquarters there and a lot of history in the downtown area, it's not a suprise that there are a lot of virtuals covering the monuments and historical parks.

I just did a quick experiment. I went to North Denver and did the normal Geocaching 100 mile search for the number of virtuals and total caches and checked the percentages. I picked Denver since it's somewhat similar to SLC. I ended up with 9.2% virtuals there and 10.2% virtuals here. That's not so amazingly different. If you take out the multitude of lame virtuals placed by one guy -- and he's the same guy that placed several lame virtuals on the Vegas Strip too -- it comes down so both places are 9.x%. So quit picking on SLC :huh:

Anyway, If your interested in finding out about some good local caches of different types, go to the Utah Association of Geocachers website and ask on the general forum about good ones to see based on your criteria.

UTAG forums

For that matter there will be several books and whatnot introduced at the show. I know that I've been contacted by a publisher to put up a cache with coupons for a free copy of their book. It will be listed as a real cache after the show. If you're going to the show, hit Pequot the press booth for coordinates. (I have nothing to do with the company)

hey tanoch, how about you start a new thread for this either here or over in the utag forums. I bet you'd get a better response, and I think the original thread is outdated, from aug '04, so probably.

How about you don't start the thread on UTAG since it has nothing to do directly with geocaching and we try to stay away from politicians and religions on the site for those subjects that are not directly relate to caching.

How about you don't start the thread on UTAG since it has nothing to do directly with geocaching and we try to stay away from politicians and religions on the site for those subjects that are not directly relate to caching.

Well, there are probably virtuals in alot of those places already(I know there's a virt tour of temple square), so it might be considered geocaching, possibly he needs to do some research and find those virts, but he does hail from the 'potato state,' so maybe he's asking if anyone in utah has found any like he's described.

Plus he does ask for coords of those types of places, so he's essentially asking for geocacher help, we're the only ones who carry gpsr's around constantly, I think it's related to geocaching about as much as most posts around here. Maybe we need more info from tanoch...... how 'bout it?

On 2/18/2019 at 8:41 AM, gkrone said:

I'll be moving to the SLC area from Wisconsin in March.  Where I  live  in Wisconsin there are a couple groups that will meet for coffee every week and then possibly head out to find a few caches. Are there any geocacher gatherings like this in SLC? 

Yes there are a few.  Welcome to the area.  Most discussion is held in the UTAG geocaching group on Facebook.