Solar Rechargers, And Batterys For $1.00

I went to the local second hand store today. They had some solar lights that you put around your yard for a buck. I got them took them home, and took them apart.

There is four in the package and each unit has two AA batterys that say,

1.2 v 550mAX14hr Ni-Cd

Can I use these in my GPS?

Thanks, Ron

Edited by Idaho Ron

I suppose you could, but they won't last very long on a charge. We typically use 1800 to 2100mAH Ni-MH rechargeables in our GPSrs, and they don't quite last as long as alkalines. So, if you do use them, bring plenty of 'em along with you.

And be sure to drain the Ni-Cads before recharging. They're the kind that have "memory" problems. If you recharge them when they're at 50% power, then they'll remember to need to be recharged at 50% power, and you'll need to recharge them twice as often.

I just want to figure out if this would work...here is one of my ideas . Place a bank of rechargables in a daypack. Trickle charge them with solar rigged to the outside of the pack. Use a power cable to attach to the bank of batts. Maybe enough solar could be connected in series to charge a lithium cell phone (or extra pda) battery. :huh: