Virtual Cache rejection?

andyd93

I am not sure why my Virtual Cache was imediately turned off.

Can someone give me a hint why it was removed?

Don't know if you can view it or not but here is the site: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19633

In essence, I was visiting my hometown and was going to the old Krispy Kreme doughnut shop and it was closed. I setup a virtual cache for all of us that have a KK obsession, since I didn't get my fix! Picture of folks at their KK store.

Was this too comercial? Nobody in my family or I don't work for the company. Just a family tradition to go and get KK doughnuts.

Thanks for any help.

Andy D.

Sounds like a commercial cache. Read Jeremy's policy here:

quote:
Caches deemed of commercial nature are hereby banned from the site unless approved by geocaching.com first. There are reasons for this -

. Commercial caches *must* be approved by the public or private land manager/owner before they are placed. When I mean must, I mean that I have to see proof that it is allowed, written or otherwise.

. Caches must be placed with the best interest of the geocachers in mind. I believe that there are such places for caches like Project APE, but companies must contact us first to determine what is appropriate and what is not.

. Overall reduction of cache spam

If a cache of commercial nature is posted it will be immediately archived.

While you may not have intended it to sound commercial, that “feels” like the reason it was archived.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

Send in pictures of any Krispy Kreme shop? I don't understand how you could even consider that a GeoCache. GeoCaching should involve navigation using GPS (or maps and aerial photos, or whatever tools physically get you to the spot), should have some form of verification, and should be challenging (to at least some degree). And good caches usually require a bit of work on the part of the cache owner. This falls short on all accounts. It's just drive-by photography.

PS_sig.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses! icon_biggrin.gif

I emailed the volunteers and recieved a responese. I understand why it was rejected, as most mentioned, because of it's commercial nature.

No offence to the essence of GeoCaching intended, my family just got caught up in the frustration and withdrawal symptoms of missing our KK fix while out caching! icon_mad.gif

Thanks again for all the response and watch for my other true caches in Baton Rouge and North Houston!

Later,

Andy D. icon_cool.gif

Thanks everyone for your responses! icon_biggrin.gif

I emailed the volunteers and recieved a responese. I understand why it was rejected, as most mentioned, because of it's commercial nature.

No offence to the essence of GeoCaching intended, my family just got caught up in the frustration and withdrawal symptoms of missing our KK fix while out caching! icon_mad.gif

Thanks again for all the response and watch for my other true caches in Baton Rouge and North Houston!

Later,

Andy D. icon_cool.gif

I don't have a HUGE problem with caches like this, but I don't see how they connect with geocaching.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=19513

Perhaps someone should start a site for geoeverythingOTHERthancaches. A virtual cache is cool by me if you can visit a location based on a set of coordinates and enjoy a similar experience that the cache-placer and other cache-finders have (e.g. a nice view, a historic marker, etc.). In this case, assuming the van is in working condition and assuming someone wanted to revisit a "find" (this is assuming a lot, by the way), they probably wouldn't be successful because these are moving targets.

Call me a tradionalist, but I like geoCACHES. You know, things you can find and open.

barefoot

Why not just give virtuals their own category called "other" and don't include them in the cache find totals. Then people can do whatever they want. I'm sure this is not a new idea. As of now, its hard to ignore them when they are included with traditional caches.

The only virtual cache I ever did required you to type the answer into some link. Evidently the link didn't work so I just deleted my "found it" log and vowed never to do a virtual cache again.

Personally, I feel virtual caches are not what geocaching is is all about and I wish they would all go away because they are cluttering up the geocaching pages.

Sorry to vent, but when I clicked on the above hippie virtual link the music came on so loud I practically jumped out of my seat! I'm slowly calming down, and I now have found reason #23 to dislike virtuals.

Show me the tupperware!

Smoochnme

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

McDonalds added chicken after years of selling only hamburgers. So we've got some virtuals in addition to traditional caches. Either way you get a meal!

Also, mixing it up is kinda nice. Now that we're into tick season and I'm not into bushwacking, I plan to do virtuals pretty exclusively until the first winter frost. You wouldn't want to begrudge me my fun,would ya? icon_wink.gif

Alan

McDonalds added chicken after years of selling only hamburgers. So we've got some virtuals in addition to traditional caches. Either way you get a meal!

Also, mixing it up is kinda nice. Now that we're into tick season and I'm not into bushwacking, I plan to do virtuals pretty exclusively until the first winter frost. You wouldn't want to begrudge me my fun,would ya? icon_wink.gif

Alan

I admit that the McDonald's and Krispy Kreme cache are one's that stretch what is considered geocaching, but there are plenty of virtuals out there that actually provide you with something and force you to learn a little bit about something. Take for instance The Gates of H. Not only did I have to find the Gates of H, but I then had to do research to find out a little more about the history of Hawai`i before I could actually claim the cache. I like caches that give me something new, especially when they give me new knowledge.

Virtual caches also allow the physically challenged to enjoy the game without feeling left out do to lack of access in remote areas.

They also make driving between caches more interesting as you keep your eyes out for all sorts of qualifiers for virtual caches. I have started to carry my camera and tripod and cache good bag every where I go.

I think that this needs to be stopped beofre it gets any worse. The point of this whole exercise is to use a GPSr to find a cache hinned somewhere in on the world. This is not the first time I have seen a cache like this that all you have to do is drive up to, there is no need for a gps or evan a compass. If this is the type of caches people want to do , maybe there should be a seperate site for them. I think some virtual caches are ok, but the ones that have nothing to do with GPS and don't even have you get out of your car are very far from where this site is and where it should go.

Your cache was way too commercial, I mean come on, take your picture in front of a Krispy Kreme. All anyone would have to do is look at your map and know right where to drive. I think maybe you should go through some of the caches on the site and get a feel for the purpose of geocaching.com.

DO YOU THINK THAT MAYBE THE INITIALS OF YOUR CACHE WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT.

Krispy Kreme Kache ?

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif