Major Rehaul of WSGA Web Site Underway

Moun10Bike

We are beginning a long-overdue and major rehaul of the WSGA website (http://geocachingwa.org) and are looking for ideas and opinions. Here are some of the ideas that we've been floating so far:

• A comprehensive list of links to helpful utilities and downloads.
  • A comprehensive list of links to other geocaching organizations and entities.
  • Lists of "cache routes", which will be "tour guides" for geocaching in various places around the region (similar to Cache Machines but on a variety of scales). These will be maintained by individuals familiar with the caching scene in those areas so that they are always up-to-date.
  • Downloads of trail maps and GPS data (similar to what you have seen me post in the various hiking threads).
  • Order forms for the new Washington State geocoins.
  • The tracking database for the new Washington State geocoins, including maps to show current coin locations.
  • An updated list of upcoming geocaching events in the region.
  • Forums (with links to these forums and back to keep fragmentation of the community from occurring).
  • Member photo galleries
  • A list of caches needing to be rescued/adopted

Any other suggestions? We will begin implementing changes starting next week and will be working to keep the site a dynamic one of interest to geocachers in the state and beyond.

Remember, you are the WSGA! B)

Thanks!

Edited by Moun10Bike

Personal Opinion:

I would like to see a section for Cache Rescue Missions.

Things like, some cacher from Germany drops a box in Mt. Rainer National Park then leaves town. We don't want geolitter, the cacher is gone so they can no longer pick it up. If the Owner cannot or will not take responsibility I think that the responsibility falls on us the local geocaching community.

Hydee--great suggestion. We'll do that.

The web site was just updated, bringing it to a 'current' status. The features that Moun10Bike mentioned—as well as ones yet to be proposed—will be implemented as soon as possible.

This will be a team effort, so if you have skills that you would like to contribute toward our goal of a Great Web Site, please let me know.

- Seth!

WSGA VP

The Texas geocaching association website has some good stuff on it. Don't recall the URL at the moment (I'm currently at the PDX La Quinta). Stash docs and preformatted micro-logs, instruction page for how to add images to your cache page, local park policies, stuff like that. I'll try and check it out again shortly and offer some concrete content suggestions (things that have helped me in placing caches in particular).

Food for thot

Here is a list I shamlessly copied from the Alabama site. B)

Geocaching In Washington

Home

WSGA Info

Geocaching Info

Newest Geocaches

Top Rated Geocaches (Cache rating system) :mellow:

WSGA Geocoins

Geocache Map

Downloads

Event Caches

Feedback

Forums

Chat

Journal

Logos

Members List

Merchandise

Newspaper Stories

News Videos

Photo Galleries

Promote the WSGA

Search

Statistics

Stories Archive

Surveys

Web Links

Your Account

The list looks good so far! Will the members' location map be updated?

The answer to that is yes, but...

I need someone to help me develop a 'user account interface' and other, similar, web-based database control features. I know that -somewhere- out there we have some members with more skill in database development than I have.

If that person is reading this post, please send me a note!

Seth!

(We use MS Access for the db.)

The list looks good so far! Will the members' location map be updated?

The answer to that is yes, but...

I need someone to help me develop a 'user account interface' and other, similar, web-based database control features. I know that -somewhere- out there we have some members with more skill in database development than I have.

If that person is reading this post, please send me a note!

Seth!

(We use MS Access for the db.)

I have done database Queries from an asp script in a web page, but never updates. It should be somewhat trivial to make the updates... (just change the select to an update), but......

.NET on the other hand (Which is what I think you need for logons) is something I have yet to play with.