Map Vs Goto

Boggie3

I was hoping someone could help me with an answer. I'm pretty new to this and haven't used my gps much. I bought it second hand, and I don't have a manual. It's a Garmin unit using emap. I've checked their website but can't find an answer to my question. Here goes: When I enter a waypoint, I have the option to press OK, Map or Goto. If someone would explain the different between Map and Goto, I would really appreciate it!

I was hoping someone could help me with an answer. I'm pretty new to this and haven't used my gps much. I bought it second hand, and I don't have a manual. It's a Garmin unit using emap. I've checked their website but can't find an answer to my question. Here goes: When I enter a waypoint, I have the option to press OK, Map or Goto. If someone would explain the different between Map and Goto, I would really appreciate it!

If you click on "map", you will see the waypoint centered on the map (in other words, the unit is showing you where the waypoint is, on the map)....

If you click on "Goto", you can then see the compass screen with an arrow pointing you to the waypoint from your current location, and the distance you are away from it. (in other words, the unit is showing you which way to go and how far you have to go).

Hope this helps,

JayBee

First off, welcome to the sport and/or maddness.

I have a Garmin Legend so I'll try to explain the difference. Wtih the GOTO you will get an arrow pointing to the cache location and a distance. Depending on the model and software you have, the map shows you the road or highway system. BTW, go ahead and purchase the mapping software if you have a mapping GPSr.

Roadway57

Wow .. quick replies. I have several locations I want to go tonight so was hoping for a quick answer, and I got several. As far as the particular model, I see nothing on the unit that identifies it as anything other than a Garmin emap. I will also look into the mapping software for the unit. And thanks for the map/goto answers. I believe I understand and will test my knowledge tonight. Thanks for all the help!

Boggie3: The Emap is a good GPS. One thing to keep in mind is when you select GOTO it shows the distance from your current location to the waypoint using the shortest possible distance. It does not take into account that you may have to drive down three blocks before you can turn left to get towards the waypoint.

Zack