Best Caches In Monterey?

hammerjane

hey hammerjane,

A lot of the great caches in Monterey have been 'muggled' lately, but any cache by Touchstone, or the Plunketts or us B) are pretty safe bets. Have a great time in Monterey. If you go to the aquarium, do yourself a favor and go as early as possible...oh, there's also a small micro called MBA in front of the aquarium. It's temporarily out of order, but maybe it'll be back up.

I think it really depends on what kind of cache you like searching for. I really liked the short hikes with long views while doing a few of the Jack's Peak Park caches (I did Skyline Cache and Cache De Canyon that day). If you want more involved day-hiking or mountain biking, the Fort Ord area is a good bet. If you can't go that far for your workout, two caches accessible in/from Veteran's park (up in the foothills, but still in Monterey City) can get the heart beating and I found them difficult hides (I'll be your Huckleberry/Extra Credit, grab Maps and Manzanita on the way in/out of the parking area). Another physically challenging cache was Jack's Cache Revisited in Carmel, and that one doesn't involve mountains...

Within the city itself, I enjoyed doing Here It Is, Deer and while I've only posted a DNF on Gina's Grove, the area is neat and not an environment you get in other places. If you plan on taking a walk around the trail that goes from Monterey to Asilomar, there are several small/micro caches on the way to break up the walk. "Love is in the air" is one of those and can be a real challenge to get at times. Finally, also within the city but not around the trail, "Monterey Bay View" is well worth the visit.

I visited Monterey in early June and I started the day with a visit to the Aquarium, then found a couple of urban caches nearby. We then drove out towards Pacific Grove along the coast. I think there's about 5 or 6 caches, some traditional, some virtual, all with great views of the ocean and the wildlife, like seals and otters.

For some nice short hikes with spectacular views... you can try Point Lobos State Reserve. There is only one cache in the reserve (Wherewolf? GCC19). I haven't found that cache, but I've been in the area a lot and it is spectacular. There are several short (1-2 mile, mostly flat) loop trails that have great views. Nearby is Monastery Beach that has a couple of nice caches with short walks/hikes ("Musical Cross" and "Bunny Cache")

Also... just north of Lover's Cove ("Love is in the air" GCH2JK) in Pacific Grove, there are a couple of caches close together with nice views of the ocean with tidepools below. (search proximity of cache "Silver and Gold" waypoint GC5083)

Going a little ways north around the bay towards Santa Cruz, in Seaside, "Good Friday" is a fun cache, but there aren't too many others around it. Its on a nice wide beach that is ususally not crowded. Easy walk. Usually some pretty cool kites flying over the beach.

1847 is scheduled to be replaced after being muggled, but I'd visit the site anyway. We grew up in the Monterey area, and didn't know of this tucked away site. It's a great place to sit for a while, or to enjoy a sandwich (try Casa Bodega, just across the street from Pier 2, for takout sandwiches). Without giving too much away, take a look at the sidewalk nearby. Fascinating but a little icky!

I just got back from Monterey. It was my first time out there and I loved it! Very beautiful area! I stayed pretty busy my few days in CA, so I didn' t do a lot of caching. I wish I had had more time for the longer hikes, which are my favorite. There's my excuse to return. Anyway, thanks for all the info.