Garmin 60c Firmware 3.50 Out

jj3

Just got the email and downloaded. Unfortunately I'm at work and haven't nor will have a chance to play around with it tonight.

I'm curious, one update it mentions is being to show maps independently or hide entire maps...makes me wonder if my wish was answered: being able to see both City Select and TOPO maps simultaneously.

If anyone gets to play with it please post your thoughts.

thanks!

Jim

Nope, I'm sorry to say that the new version 3.50 firmware is just a finalized release of the beta 3.43 firmware version as far as I can see. It appears that all they've done is rename the beta to version 3.50.

As far as the ability to show/hide the individual maps goes, this just refers to the menu item they added to quickly access the maps setup page where you can show or hide all of the different maps loaded on the GPS. It's not much to tout about IMHO. Heck, the least they could have done is made the new menu item take you right to the popup menu that shows the map info instead of taking you to the map setup page and then making you select the popper tab and hit the menu button again in order to see the popup you really need to use. Oy!

I wouldn't hold my breath over being able to see multiple maps displayed over the top of one another as that would be very difficult (if not impossible) to do. As others have mentioned in this forum, each of the maps are a bit different from one another in accuracy and detail and so doing things that way would cause the maps to appear as if they had multiple roads running right next to each other, etc.

Edited by TheOfficeMaven
I thought the ximage support was new, fwiw.

I believe that what Garmin is referring to as xImage support is the addition of the 24 customizable waypoint symbols. If so, then those customizable waypoint symbols have been in the firmware since at least beta version 3.42 (and more than likely since beta 3.41). However, they only just released the xImage program itself right around the time that the beta 3.43 firmware became available.

So, while it is "new", it isn't new to firmware version 3.50 as it already existed in the prior beta firmware versions. However, as someone else pointed out, it now means that the feature is now "supported" by Garmin since it is now available in an actual release version of the firmware.

I did, same thing.

My download of firmware version 3.50 is exactly 1.67 MB (1,761,280 bytes). If your's isn't that same exact size (as shown by right-clicking on the file in the Windows Explorer and selecting "Poperties" from the popup menu that appears, and then by looking at the file's size on the "General" tab of the Properties dialog box that appears), then you still don't have a valid/complete donwload. If it is that exact size, then I don't know what's wrong as mine extracted and loaded onto my GPS just fine.

I've seen a lot of my downloads from Garmin come down incomplete! It happens so often that I now pay very close attention to the listed file size, how much gets downloaded and how long it takes every time I do a download. Sometimes I have to try 3 or 4 times.

I bet it's because everybody is starting to download from all over the world and it taxes the server too much.

Couple questions please!

I'm on firmware version 3.3. Can I upgrade directly to 3.5 or must I install 3.4 first?

The download page mentions ~ that the POI database may/will be deleted if I upload Mapsource data? What/how does this work? Meaning: every time I load Mapsource data I also need to upload the POI again? Only during firmware updates...? :huh: (When do I need to reload the POI?)

The ximage software sounds cool. I'd like to get screen shots of routes and such! I will also use the "record pressure trend data while power is off " feature - even tho it probably will use more battery - cool feature - now I can predict weather! ;)

Thanks to all,

Pat

Couple questions please!

I'm on firmware version 3.3. Can I upgrade directly to 3.5 or must I install 3.4 first?

The download page mentions ~ that the POI database may/will be deleted if I upload Mapsource data? What/how does this work? Meaning: every time I load Mapsource data I also need to upload the POI again? Only during firmware updates...? :huh: (When do I need to reload the POI?)

The ximage software sounds cool. I'd like to get screen shots of routes and such! I will also use the "record pressure trend data while power is off " feature - even tho it probably will use more battery - cool feature - now I can predict weather! ;)

Thanks to all,

Pat

3.4x is no longer an option. You can load the latest from the earliest if you wanted.

Whenever you load new MapSource data (i.e. City Select) to your unit it will erase what was previously loaded in the 56 megs of memory. When you buy the unit, Garmin has placed about 3.8 megs of POI info for the base map. It is very thin, as it covers the whole county. That POI information is erased when you load your own selected map quadrants. This should not be a problem, because the map quadrants that you are loading will include the POI info for those quadrants.

The main/only reason that you would want to re-load Garmin's default POI data, is if you are removing all local maps, and will just be relying on the base map; which is not the best for travel.

Note: the base map is never effected by loading new maps. It is stored in another area of the memory, and will remain throughout the life of the unit.

The generic PoI data included with the GPSMap60C is superceeded by the Points of Interest included with any other map product. You'd only want the POI download from the Garmin page if you weren't planning on loading any other maps into the unit.

You people are simply the best! ;) Thanks for all the help!

Now, can anyone tell me where I put my DC power cable? :huh: I thought it was in my camping trailer, but have quickly looked twice. It's not in the truck, so I guess I'll have to tear apart my trailer! Need it for our Oregon trip this month.

Thanks again,

Pat

Might it be the one you're missing?

Only if you've been to the land of Zion recently! :D

I turned on the "Always on" baromic reading last night. It has usually always read 29.xx" every time I have looked at it - which never gave me much info - kinda static. A pretty decent, but short, thunderstorm went thru last night.

The pressure graph was actually dynamic and lenghty! Pretty impressive! It got down to 25" or so. I like it! :D

Pat

I just downloaded firmware version 3.5 and had the same result as some of you when it failed. It wanted me to save the error file to clipboard and send it off to Garmin. I was getting really nervous because it looked like my new GPS was going to turn into an expensive doorstop, but I shut it off, turned it back on and it uploaded the file. Whew!!!! I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but tomorrow Renegade Knight and I are going to do a caching day since our wives are away. I should get plenty of chances to see how it works. :D