Cache Contents Depletion.

<_< Has anyone else found that after a while the contents of their caches diminish to practically nothing?

At least one of ours that originally had lots of items in it is now down to just three junk items.

Is it possible that some cachers are taking something in exchange for a TB and thus inadvertently helping to deplete the cache contents?

What do you all find / think ?

HAve seen this in some caches and have to watch my kids really closely as they like pretty stones and used to think they were good swaps!!. Personally we never swap for TB's ie if we put one in we dont take anything out and if we drop one off we dont take anything, we do always try to trade up with swaps as the kids have soo many toys how many trade items have BK or Mc on the back??

I guess the problem is that cachers will do it one of 2 ways, thus creating a shortage. I always swap, so if taking a TB I leave a swap if I don't have a TB to leave. I don't always take a swap if dropping of a TB, but do sometimes. I guess if the next person to collect the TB does the opposite, you could have a shortage.

Maybe the answer is always leave a swap when collecting a TB, but never take one when dropping one off, that way the caches get filled up rather than depleted

In one of my duller moments I have looked at the original contents of a cache and followed through a log of what was taken/left and can't find anybody admitting to taking a high value item and leaving the contents of a cheap christmas cracker.

But somehow the contents do seem to mutate.

I got to only taking items worth a few quid with me, but one day found a fairly new cache and was amazed at the quality, and did not actually trade as I could not match the worth of any one item.

We have been delighted to find books we would never have bought and a DVD which we will watch and the pass on to another cache.

What's the best item you have ever taken from a cache then?

A TB doesn't constitute part of the contents of a cache so the movement of a TB should have no effect on the cache contents. In the past we have mistakenly taken a TB and left a cache swap but now we do the swap and then deal with the TB as a separate entity.

A TB doesn't constitute part of the contents of a cache so the movement of a TB should have no effect on the cache contents. In the past we have mistakenly taken a TB and left a cache swap but now we do the swap and then deal with the TB as a separate entity.

Thats exactly how I see it <_< however if the cache contents are low I would consider leaving something just to boost it up a little.

I've been to several caches recently where there was only a couple of small plastic Xmas cracker toys in them. I more then usually leave a couple of items, sometimes 3 and not take anything away to help try and top up a cache.

Most of the bits I put in are samples and free bees from my wifes work but are still pretty good exchanges and better than a lot I've found in caches.

A TB doesn't constitute part of the contents of a cache so the movement of a TB should have no effect on the cache contents.  In the past we have mistakenly taken a TB and left a cache swap but now we do the swap and then deal with the TB as a separate entity.

Thats exactly how I see it <_< however if the cache contents are low I would consider leaving something just to boost it up a little.

Thats what we do and the other thing is what do you swap for a TB as its not a trade item you can keep.

I find the same.....

There seems to be two items to discuss here, firstly items depleting as previously mentioned and secondly, the box generally turns into junk.

The taking of TB's should not make an impact. If you leave a TB, you are increasing the box contents, or at the worst, you take an item, so the number of contents stays the same. Therefore cachers must be taking TB's without leaving something ! That is the only scenario that works !

Solution : Take TB, leave TB or a trade item !

Secondly:

In all my caches I start with a good supply of new items. For example my next series of Yorkshire Town caches is due to be released soon (watch this space) and In the last couple of weeks I have visited numerous shops. I generally spend £1 to £2 on the items. When you release 5 boxes at a time, this has cost me say 35 items anywhere upwards of £35 and up to £70. I do not mind this, but am annoyed when I have to do the same, 6 months later.

Over a period of lets say 30-40 visits, I find the contents deplorable.

Geocache rules state if you take something then replace with something of at least the same value. By these rules our boxes should go up in value, not down. Whats happening ? Do cachers not know the rules ?

I released a cache recently Forest and More.... and I had these comments from the first to visit "Cache contents are high quality" and "As we had nothing suitable TNLN."

Good example Fewston Finders.... I wish more geocachers were the same.....

A good stocked box makes the finding of a box more of a fun find !

The idea of dropping a TB when taking one is fine, if you are a regular TB hunter but at some point you wouldn`t have a TB unless you started one.

A bit like the chicken and the egg <_<

I had a FTF this week and one of the items in the cache caught my eye so I left 3 of my normal cache stash, hopefully people see this as fair.

Last weekend we had a family day caching and the girls were told the they had to take turns taking an item, is was fine until the last one when they both wanted something so I left 2 item plus a TB.

I did take a TB out of a cache without replacing another one but when I drop this one there is no guarantee that I will pick up another one.

If I`m on my own normally I just sign the log but sometimes I drop one of my keyrings in.

gecko.jpg

Gecko Keyring

Geo

I always try to put a good selection of goodies out when I hide a new cache so that there is something for kids and adults. But last year I saw a log for a new cache of mine and it stated "at last good cache goodies". They had been working the way round the north and found most of my other older caches so I take it from that they thought all my other cache contents were not so good, Considering that they would all of started from a similar base point then all my caches have degraded in quality <_< .

As a cache owner I always try to trade up or even and hope that others would do the same. I also tend to leave more than one item in caches that I think are a bit sparse. Saying that if I were to go and restock all my caches back to the start quality it would cost me £150 so I dont think I should have to shell that out every year to restore the quality after the busy caching period is done. Cachers as a whole should not raid all the good stuff and leave crap in its place. I would rather a took nothing left nothing log than for someone to lower the quality of the contents.

In my mind TBs are separate from normal goodies they have a mission to travel and I will go to a cache to retreive a TB and leave nothing in its place as I am forwarding the TB on its travels. They are not swaps in my opinion

I must agree with the Birders Here-

TBs don't count so if you have a TB to put in the cache then leave it by all means but if you want something out of the cache that is not a TB then it is a separate issue. There are a lot of TBs in circulation these days and my guess is the same as other comments here. I recon people must be counting them as swaps. If I see s depleted cache I will add a few items to help restore it but this can become rather expensive. These days I leave my callign card and may take or leave a TB but only swap items if there is something I want.

I would suggest you examine the cache logs to see if you can identify the culprits.

thanks

Chris

I found a cache the other day on a family picnic, along with several nieces and a nephew. When we found the 'treasure', they all wanted to take something. The only trouble was that the cache was a spur of the moment thing, so nobody had any swaps. The girls were all for taking good items and just leaving the bobble or scrunchy that they all had in their hair. They didn't seem to understand the concept of leaving something worth the same. As far as they were concerned they had found treasure and it was up for grabs.

In the end, after some heated debate thay all had to just sign the log, as I would not let them do what they wanted. We had a few sulks on the walk back, but most of them (the older ones) finally understood my reasoning.

I wonder if this is the reasoning that cache vultures use when taking the good stuff, as in 'I found it so it's I'll take what I like', possibly more likely with kids or newbies.

Tigger

As I see it, a TB isn't a swap item as you'll be recaching it later. Personally I'd take one from a cache and leave nothing. On the other hand, I'd not put one in a cache and take something, so it all balances out. People who do leave a TB and take something in exchange are doing no harm providing that when they take a TB that they leave something!

I recently recovered a cache that had been found by a muggle and was delighted by the contents. They were way better than I'd set the cache up with. Result! When I rehid it I needed to use a new, smaller box and I've recached all the cool stuff that wouldn't fit elsewhere.

Anyway, it's a shame that cache contents seem to demising over time, or get spoilt by water getting into the box. Or get pinched by Muggles. Or eaten by animals... Still what can you do eh? <_<

SP

People who do leave a TB and take something in exchange are doing no harm providing that when they take a TB that they leave something!

That's not quite true as if we are doing something different, such as if I place a TB and take a swap and then the next person takes the TB and doesn't leave a swap, then that cache is one item down.

Multiply that by several TB's and then there is no contents.

Given all the discussion here, I thing the best policy is to not swap with the TB, but if you see something you (Or your geokids) like, then do a seperate swap foir it.

(That reminds me, must make a note to post about geokid due next week if I find the cache on time <_< )

That's not quite true as if we are doing something different, such as if I place a TB and take a swap and then the next person takes the TB and doesn't leave a swap, then that cache is one item down.

Ok, ok. That individual cache might be an item down, but another one, elsewhere, would be one up. I agree this is bad news for one cache but it's good news for the other...

The vast majority of items I take from other folks caches end up in new ones of my own so I feel a little isolated from the issue. As a serial setter I already feel I'm putting as much into the sport as I take out. I would say my personal experiences of cache swaps have all been good so perhaps I just happen to live in an area of very trustworthy and generous cachers! When out and about I tend to TNLN unless there's something I *really* fancy in which case I'll make a swap. Also, if I especially enjoy a cache or find one looking a bit empty I'll drop something small off. It's nice to be nice :huh:

SP

One of the most exciting bits for me (NES) is finding the "treasure" and swapping ! YEAH YEAH I know ......I am a grown up (and quite and old one at that too) BUT ....ITS GREAT FUN ;) However,every so often I go on a "cache pressie" buying trip,so that when we do take something,we have something acceptable to put in its place. And always make sure I have a selection of "goodies" with me when caching.

I even made GAZ go to a particular cache one day because I had seen what someone had left previousley and desperately wanted it !!!!(A carphone wharehouse mobley keyring). :P Mind you,he loved the cache and I got mobley so all was well .

With TBs we never use them as a trade,we treat them seperately.

So,for me......I LOVE well stocked caches,it totally makes my day :huh:

NES ......(From Gaz,Nes and Layla) xx

In my mind TBs are separate from normal goodies they have a mission to travel and I will go to a cache to retreive a TB and leave nothing in its place as I am forwarding the TB on its travels. They are not swaps in my opinion

I agree with this - I thought the whole point of TBs is to move them on, so I might take one from a cache and not leave a swap for it. I see the swap side as separate from TBs - and really it should be quite simple -if you take something you should leave something/s of at least equivalent value to that which you have removed. Also I think that if you take two things you should leave at least two things and so on.

One of the most exciting bits for me (NES) is finding the "treasure" and swapping ! YEAH YEAH I know ......I am a grown up (and quite and old one at that too) BUT ....ITS GREAT FUN  :blink:  However,every so often I go on a "cache pressie" buying trip,so that when we do take something,we have something acceptable to put in its place. And always make sure I have a selection of "goodies" with me when caching.

With TBs we never use them as a trade,we treat them seperately.

So,for me......I LOVE well stocked caches,it totally makes my day  :ph34r:

NES ......(From Gaz,Nes and Layla) xx

That is the same attitude that the majority of cachers have us included. I will not lay a new cache unless I have filled it with new items it makes going to find the cache a special treat but It is really annoying when a "taker" comes along you don't mind a TNLN but when something is taken without any thought of leaving something, it really does get my goat. We would never dream of taking something without leaving something of similar value in its place. Which is the norm among all the cachers we know. Like with everything in life though you always get "takers". So I suppose we will have to learn to live with them in the caching world as well as in general life.

Joan :unsure:B):wacko::mellow:

Maybe we're over fussy but we've found that we need to make maintenance visits to our caches at least every couple of months to remove all the tat that's been left. We've come to accept that most people trade down but we don't really mind if they're appreciative or if they write a log that's more than one line! What we do mind is when people trade down and put the item they've taken straight into another cache! If they're not interested in the contents we wish they'd leave them for people who are.

Gary & Jane

I too have come to realize most folks trade down. That's simply the way it is. As cache owners it's up to us to re-stock the box. Without cache owners there would be no game. I believe people should be obligated to hide at least one cache within a year of starting this sport or risk being ruled "unqualified". Look at most peoples' find-to-hide- ratios and you'll wonder how the game keeps going, mathmatically that is. A couple of times a year I'll re-stock with "good stuff" and people love it.

Edited by GeoVet

Sue & I go along with the general trend - swap or don't, TB separate issue however, we do take issue with GeoVet's idea of having to place a cache as a condition of membership. While we applaud the thoughts behind the suggestion, it is based on the closed idea that everyone lives a static existance at a fixed location! For most people, this is obviously true...

....but not for us! I am in the military and we live a fairly nomadic lifestyle. While we could place caches and then continuously look for people to adopt 'em, we are actually waiting until we finally place roots (I retire in 2 years), before we start placing caches.

I have already accumulated a dozen ammo boxes (perk of the trade) and have had them painted and marked up ready for the off. When the time comes, we will pay back the efforts of others.

....so, a little more lateral thinking before sallying forth chaps (and chapesses).

Cheers!

I concur with Sue & Bernie. We, too, are also constantly on the move due to hubby being in the Army and rarely stay in one place for more than a year or two.

Of the two caches I have placed in N Yorks whilst I have been here, one I have archived and the other I have asked friends to look after for me once we have moved down south.

We will be at our next posting for two years and so I hope to be able to place some new caches in the Oxfordshire/Wiltshire area once we are settled.

There are many ways to give back to the sport/hobby besides placing new caches.

In our opinion, swap items are there to be swapped, like for like. After all, we're here for the sport of the game, not to put a price on the contents of a box! If we costed time, petrol etc., we would never go caching!

TBs should definitely be a separate entity, and not classed as a swap item - they're there to be moved on as swiftly as possible and you are still playing the game fair and square.

Well in theory, if taking a TB, they should also leave a TB or a Swap, that way contents stay the same, but I have seen some logs where they show TNLN and took TB which is taking something isn't it :huh:

That works, if you consider (and treat) travelers as trade items, vs. being nothing some that isn't traded, merely picked up and moved. Not traded at anypoint.

As for depletion, could be bad trading / unequal trading. Plain taking something or taking something and 'i forgot my trade items at home, but ill be back, really'. How about muggles finding it and raiding items..... Its all just one of those things that hard to pin point, if we could do that it would be addressed. :lol:

Most caches seem to contain tat :huh: . My 8 year old has even stopped swapping things as yet another McD plastic-thingy just isn't worth it. I used to leave key rings either Lego ones or ones from places I'd viited but to swap something like that for some broken sea shells (true!) it stops the kids wanting to find more treasure. 'er indoors isn't too impressed either when we open the contents. Maybe there are too many TNLN cachers who could, with a little effort try, to stock up caches. Moving content on isn't helpful either. It usually involves getting someone elses tat to lower the quality of your own. I've recently had one cache trashed and have removed another. Both of which I consider to have not only been in interesting places but had a pretty good level of decent contents.

Considereing the number of 100+ UK cachers you'd think there'd be all sorts of interesting things to be left and found.

The other thread was about TB's. I don't see these as being cache content nor geocoins or any other type of "move me on" stuff.

Personally, if I find a cache which is low on swaps I do one of two things...if I take something I leave two in it's place....if I take nothing I at least leave something.

Also, if I wish to take what appears to be a reasonably expensive item and I have no swap which is comparable ... I refrain from taking anything. I always attempt to swap like for like.

Having said that I often wonder what the trade was with some of the very trivial items I have discovered in caches!? And the mentality of those who left them !?

Ullium.

Edited by Ullium

I agree with Team S-J. I'm nearly always a LNTN person. But I do take some stuff to swap with me when I geocache, just incase I do find something out there that I really want. I'm in this game for the joy of the hunt and to visit places I wouldn't normally go.

I can see why treasurer hunting has an appeal, especially to the younger ones amongst us.

I don't put much of any graet value in my caches, mainly as I think there is a link between the' higher value of the cache contents' the 'more likely it has of being trashed and never seen of again'.

The item of most value to me in any cache is always the logbook. To the owner it's priceless.

Well its all very interesting so how come the caches contents get depleted. As I have read through this thread nobody trades down we all trade up. That is obviously not the case is it. Of course not. I went to a nameless cache and it was quite bear. In the log book there was a list of things taken by a previous cacher. It was a shame that one person should take so much. This was not put in the log on the cache site page on GC.com. We however did not fair much better as we had only one thing to leave. We took a 20 pence piece and left a fancy rubber which unfortunately was probably not worth 20p. There I admit it we traded down. :huh:

We will try to do better next time.

I've been setting a lot of micros recently and wonder what the feelings on these are. No contents to be run down but no room for TBs either... Obviously they need a good clue and get used where it'd be hard/impossible to place a larger cache, but do people feel 'cheated' by micros? Are they a second-class cache?

SP

I've been setting a lot of micros recently and wonder what the feelings on these are. No contents to be run down but no room for TBs either... Obviously they need a good clue and get used where it'd be hard/impossible to place a larger cache, but do people feel 'cheated' by micros? Are they a second-class cache?

SP

Micro's I love them :D:D As any of the Scottish cachers that come to Edinburgh will tell you. :P:D