Vancouver

Two Geeks and a GPS

We are coming from Michigan for a vacation and would like to attend an event! Are there any?

Also, seeing that the Vancouver appears to be very cache high, we are having trouble picking ones to do. Any suggestions would be welcome. The best 1/1's and the best harder ones. We are taking the mother-in-law so 1/1's are important but we'd do harder ones ourselves if we get some good ones!

Any input would be great.

We are coming from Michigan for a vacation and would like to attend an event! Are there any?

Also, seeing that the Vancouver appears to be very cache high, we are having trouble picking ones to do. Any suggestions would be welcome. The best 1/1's and the best harder ones. We are taking the mother-in-law so 1/1's are important but we'd do harder ones ourselves if we get some good ones!

Any input would be great.

Thanks  :blink:  <_<

Unfortunately, the only event scheduled is for the 18th. However, if you pop over to the good ole BCGA you might be able to find a local or two who could direct you to some of the nicer caches. Heck, you may even find someone to volunteer themselves as a tour guide.

Seeing as you folks are premium members, have you done a Pocket Query? You could use the coordinates: N 49 15.707 123 06.811, which is downtown Vancouver. I'm not sure where you'll be exactly, but it's a start. Here are a few caches from the above coordinates. A Pocket Query will let you input the level of difficulty and the area you want to focus on. Hope that helps!

Vancouver caches

Edited by Cacherunner
Unfortunately, the only event scheduled is for the 18th. However, if you pop over to the good ole BCGA you might be able to find a local or two who could direct you to some of the nicer caches. Heck, you may even find someone to volunteer themselves as a tour guide.

The 18th!!!???!!! RATS-A-FRATS!! An entourage of 7 (6 from Texas and 1 from Bothell, WA) are starting to Vancouver the afternoon of the 18th, but won't be across til the 19th!! Two things we'd LOVE would be 1) to meet up with some caching folks, just to chat, or as "geo-tour guides" (with an event, of course, being THE BEST), and 2) to see if someone would possibly let us download some (MapSource) maps for our 2-day visit (just doesn't seem cost-effective to buy $100-plus maps for 48 hours). I doubt you can postpone the event, but are you against the establishment of another one?

Maybe in cahoots with GroundClutter, we could set up a "Y'all Come Cache Now, Eh?" EVENT on the 19th?? Even if that doesn't work out, we plan to be the FIRST to do BOTH ENDS of this multi-national cache series, and I'm working feverishly to get a hold of Texas-Gal, the owner of the south cache, in order to check on transferral of cache swag to Canada (and back) when we come up. She has been so busy with work (she's the low end of the totem pole in a corporate law firm) that her mailbox has actually filled beyond capacity more than once in recent weeks. In the meantime, if there are Canucks that have been unable to "trade" coords on that cache that would like to get that smiley with us while we're up there ... it might just be possible! ;)

hmm ... one more request ... we're sure to do one overnight in Vancouver. Anyone know a nicely priced hotel (suite would be best since there are 7 of us) that has high-speed internet access? :huh:

Thanks, and Happy Trails!

Candy

We were thinking more along the lines of any must see caches. The pocket query list is so long, and the map is so cluttered it is impossible to go through all of them! :huh:

Which is why I suggested asking over at the local geocaching association website. Here it is again The BCGA or, you could try the sandbox which is actually the most used geocaching site in BC.. You'll find more locals at those two site (as opposed to here) who can tell you the must see caches.

I'd try to help you out myself, but caching in the city is not my cup of tea.

I tried to log onto the BCGA but never got an email confirmation. Guess we will be left to our own devices! OH NO!!!!! B):mellow::unsure:

Try The Sandbox forums if you cannot get access to the BCGA site. I'll contact the admins at the BCGA site and let them know that you are having problems with your user registration.

I just went to take a look at the BCGA website.

Now, first off, I mean no personal offense to anyone here who is a member or maintainer of the site. That said, I'm not going to register for a site -- and then be counted as one of the members of the organization -- that won't even let me view their "About the BCGA" page.

Why would anyone restrict basic information like this? It sure isn't going to help people get interested in who the BCGA is or what they do.

Why would anyone restrict basic information like this? It sure isn't going to help people get interested in who the BCGA is or what they do.

The operation of the site was moved to a newly elected directorship recently. Having always been logged on, I did not notice that link was available to registered users only.

This has now been changed. There are some functions that do require a user to be logged on, but that section is now opened up.

Also, registering for the website is not joining the association. It allows some access to more personalized features.

Most of my favourite caches have come in Burnaby, which is a suburb right next to Vancouver.

The ones I would put on the "must see" list are:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a4-23d449f6f014

(While you are in the area, you could check out this one too: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e8-5ba5aecb1dc4 )

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f8-f92ce4dda532

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&decrypt=y&log=

The last one is in an area where you can also hit two others:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4c-3a4c39a6599d

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e1-b4d3f6010650

FYI, I notice a couple of them are flagged as having a "railway problem" - I have no idea what that might be about, save that the train doesn't run to either one of them! :lol:

I hope you enjoy your trip up here!