Idea For A Travel Bug

Wild Thing

I have a rather complicated travel bug in mind for my first release and would appreciate opinions from more experienced cachers.

The TB would include 2 boxes. Initially, one would be empty and the other full of hand-tied fishing flies. I would place it at or near one of my favorite trout streams.

Instructions would be that: 1) It be picked up only by fly fishers; 2) They remove one fly for themselves and place one in the second box for me; 3) They deposit it at a cache near their favorite fly fishing location; and 4) When the first box of flies is empty, it be mailed back to me. I would love it if the the TB made it to some of the famous streams in New England, but would also be happy to have it returned filled with new flies and great stories.

With all of the missing TBs, I'm concerned that this one would be awfully desirable and would disappear long before completing its mission.

What do you think?

I think that limiting who can pick up a bug would be detrimental to the bug's health... And a bug like that could only be placed in a large cache.

How about modifying it - ie, anyone can take the bug, but you can only take a lure if you trade one for it, and then just have one container.

Good suggestions! I am rethinking the idea a bit.

I did a couple of searches for caches using keywords "fishing" and "trout." There are quite a few caches out there, but not enough to get a TB across the country. Besides, many of them are here in the Rockies. :ph34r:

I could get at least 20 flies into a box of 3" diameter by 1" high or similar size but different dimensions, so I'd like to keep that part of the TB. I agree that anyone could pull the TB from a cache and move it along, while maintaing the goal of visiting flyfishing places. The flies in box #1 would still be available for trade, and when they are gone, I would like the TB returned to me.

Getting more practical? :smile: