Everyone Else Has An Ettiquette Discussion

fly46

I've noticed a few cachers will either leave a note for every bug they saw (ie, went to abc event saw bug xyz) - whether or not they really did.

I've noticed a few cachers who will log a bug out and back into whatever cache it's in because they 'saw' it at an event or something.

I don't understand how they can do this... First of all, a lot of the time, they don't even really see all the bugs.. You go to an event, throw the bugs onto a table, they get the bug #s from if they're signed in, but they might not check the table of bugs out until someone's already taken it. They just know it's at the event they're at.

I can almost justify the note, because it doesn't add to your bug amount, but logging it out and back in *will* add to your find count...

How can this be justified? Discuss....

How can this be justified?  Discuss....

Why the heck does it NEED to be justified?

Are they handing out gold bars for the most tb finds?

I don't need to ask your, or anyone's, approval for how I play this game.

Where travel bugs are concerned, I see them as a game within THE GAME.

A TB is a game piece in that game and if I come in contact with it (Meaning physically TOUCH it.) then I will log it as found (counting coup) regardless of whether I move it or not. That is how I play MY game and I don't need your permission/approval to play my way.

"Everyone plays their own game. There is no sense in trying to police another's mindset as long as it falls within the general parameters of the game." Me (quoting myself from the poll that I posted on 10/23/03.) The thread was Counting Coup. Look it up.

Here's another quote for good measure:

Great wisdom from a master TB finder:

"It's a web of life, in my opinion, and absolutely any movement is the next step in reaching it's goal. That weird side trip to Florida, may be the next step to Canada. And a side trip may have saved it from going MIA by pilferage in Pennsylvania."

bthomas on the subject of TB movement 10/27/2003

People,

These (TBs) are little pieces of metal and plastic, etc. NOT your children; NOT your hopes and dreams; NOT anything worth forming a negative emotion over. CERTAINLY NOT a reason to sit in judgement over a fellow human being....... :o

SNOOG5.jpg

Edited by Snoogans
How can this be justified? Discuss....

Are you a school teacher by chance? <_<

Snoogans makes some good points, especially the great wisdom quote. I felt bad about a bug I moved not too long ago because it was tryng to go west. Well I ended up moving it west about 25 miles, but that came along with a move south of about 150 miles :blink:.

I'm with you fly46, unless I physically pick up the bug and move it to another cache I will not log it as a find. That's the way I have chosen to play this game.

I'm am a TB Mover, not a log-it-because-I-saw-it-on-a-table-at-an-eventer :o

Zack

Sorry, snoogans, perhaps I chose too difficult of a word for you to work with.

You think it's alright to pad your finds with bugs you never placed anywhere? You'd be madder then hell if someone was logging your cache without ever leaving their house.

As for your movement quote, it's about MOVEMENT. Not about Joe in Kansas saw a TB at an event in Topeka, someone else took it, it went through four people by the time he got around to saying something, and decided to pick it up and drop it back off into the cache it's in over somewhere in the Florida Keys, nevermind that he's never been to florida and Alligators scare him, so he'll not be going to the keys any time soon, just so that he can make a note about it. Isn't that what the note feature is for?

While he's at it, should he log the cache, too? I mean, I know he's never been to it, but he did see an ammo box at the Outdoor Store the day he bought his new GPS, so that's the same thing, right? And of course, lets not forget that he never touched the bugs, so why should he have to touch the cache. Oh, but wait, he logged the bug that was in the cache, so he must have been there?

I don't really 'get' the part where cachers log mass bugs at events, either.

I wouldn't mind it happening to one of MY bugs, though. I'm always happy

to see postings/pics/movement of any of my bugs.

Maybe cachers who log mass bugs at events are looking to rack up

a high-score? (Even tho none of us are counting, right?)

Or maybe those cachers just like the logging and posting notes alot?

Hey...the WEEKEND is upon us! Time to quit posting & go CACHING!

Hey...the WEEKEND is upon us! Time to quit posting & go CACHING!

Cache a couple for me, too! Unfortunately I have to spend the weekend at a wedding and a party at my aunt's hosue.... Although maybe her parties are just what I need to relax from the forums! B)

I won't and haven't logged any TB that I haven't found and/or moved either. The TB owners have spend some money and maybe sacrificed a dear item for their TB, so IMO it's appropriate to play THEIR game and not MY number padding game. It's not necessarily fun for TB owners to receive 46 emails about people grabbing and dropping their bug without anyone actually doing anything to help them with their goal.

ive got over 50 tb's floating around and can't tell you how many times i get an email about someone seeing it at an event. to me, it just doesnt matter because they are not effecting the movement. the fact that they chose my bug to log and watch makes me feel proud. i cant say that i've never done the same.

and yes, i am a school teacher. school starts monday august 9, 2004. *sigh*

-TP

The Great American Football Stadium Travel Bug Race

This might be considered a little OT, but I will add it anyway. I just started a TB called: HandOff , it's goal is to NOT be put into caches, but instead be handed off to another geocacher, who would then post the coords of the handoff in their log. If HandOff went to an event, and was logged by 40 cachers, that would be applicable to its goal. They could all use the same coords, it wouldn't matter.

JayBee

This might be considered a little OT, but I will add it anyway. I just started a TB called: HandOff , it's goal is to NOT be put into caches, but instead be handed off to another geocacher, who would then post the coords of the handoff in their log. If HandOff went to an event, and was logged by 40 cachers, that would be applicable to its goal. They could all use the same coords, it wouldn't matter.

JayBee

That's entirely different..

There's a bug entitled BIND that is supposed to be worn until someone asks about it (is bound to it), at which point, you're supposed to hand it to the next person.....

I found it slightly off it's instructions at the TB table at GW2. I wore it to the cache n dash, AbbysGrammy took it from me, JoGPS took it from her, Southpaw got it next, then SerenityNow got it from him.. The first three trades all happened within 10 minutes.

TB's are like everything else. The owner sets the rules but once it's out in the field, the only real control is deleting logs and pleading emails.

Thus cachers may only log the physical log and never online, and TB finders may all dance in a circle around a TB each touching it in a ritual fashion until GI Joe is rubbed bald, and Barbie's makup is smudged.

We all have pet peeves and things we wish were different. We can discuss them in the forums until certain members wish they could puke from reading about them ad nausium. In the end our pet peeves change very little...and yet there is a larger body of knowledge that we all have developed about what good sportsmanship in this game is from these very discussions.

Personally I don't get any thrill out of counting coup on a TB. At a coup party I would hope that my one and only TB at least goes home with the one person who can help it along. Most of TB's are blind luck anyway. While you can't say that a random move won't help it along, you also can't say that a random move won't keep it from the one person who could have got the bug to it's goal.

Enough rambling.

I agree, unless a TB is physically moved, why log it? Why are they called TRAVEL BUGS? :lol:

It is obvious that most folks who log TRAVEL BUGS that have not traveled anywhere, are really only looking to up their own numbers. :o

I find much humor in that as really none of the numbers matter, and really who cares anyway. If it were up to me, I'd quit keeping track. It just makes the diehards kind of "Whacky". :o

The counting of finds is a Groundspeak thing, it is not like you get anything for logging these things, If at all, you only become a Legend in your own mind. Woo Woo. :lol:

Nobody really cares how many finds I have..............and I don't really care how many anybody else has, really it is just.......

"THE THRILL OF THE HUNT" that I enjoy about geocaching. :lol:

happy caching :lol:

The big problem with Snoogan's approach isn't his right to log it, its our right not to be deluged with 50 emails from GC about our travel bug being "found" 50 times at some geocaching meeting.

When you log the bug, you generate an email to the owner and to anyone that has that bug on their watch list. The flow of email for this can at times be prolific.

The garbage content of these blasts is very high. When I get an email about a bug of mine that has moved, I get to see where it goes, as I have bugs scattered from Alaska to Denmark to South Africa, its fun to see them go places that I never will. When I get 10 emails from these travelers, and they are all moving, its exciting. When I get 10 from the same one, there are only two that matter (the bug bringer and the bug takers emails), ther rest is just alot of garbage to clean out of my inbox.

Sorry, Snoogans. I don't accept as fate the need for my email box to be held captive to your desire to inflate your find count. The things are called TRAVEL bugs, not "email everyone at GC" bugs.

I don't like this "logthetboutanddirectlogitbackintothecache" with my bugs because

- I get a lot of useless mails

- The TB history gets messed up

- If the TB is logged in such a way at an event it might get lost

Therfore you can find the following text on my TB pages:

Additional Hint:

In order to keep the Travel Bug History clear, logs which do not help XYZ (e.g. log-out and log-in in the very same cache) will be deleted without notice. If you meet XYZ and you want to tell the world about it, write a note. Help all the TBs out there and not your own stats.

The big problem with Snoogan's approach isn't his right to log it, its our right not to be deluged with 50 emails from GC about our travel bug being "found" 50 times at some geocaching meeting.

To quote the great Super Chicken (no, not you, Stunod..or you today, CO Admin):

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred!"

Anyone who gets access to your TB tag to retrieve the number has the right to log it in and out of wherever they like that they took it. You'll get an e-mail every time they do. That's the assumed responsibility of having put a TB tag out into the world. If they took it to the same place they picked it up, oh well.

Your answer should be to determine whether you want these logs to stand as records of your TB's movement (even if said movement is 0 feet, 0 inches). Your right is to delete the entries on your TB that you don't want kept active.

Etiquette says that if the TB has a specific goal, each movement will help the goal. Etiquette says that if you're going to delete a log, you should state up front your intention to filter those logs you disagree with.

You don't have a right not to receive e-mail notices of your TB log activity. You have a responsibility.

You don't have a right not to receive e-mail notices of your TB log activity. You have a responsibility.

So, then, by that logic, you're saying we have a responsibility to have our inboxes filled? So if I had a dozen bugs out and got fifty two emails about them and missed out on other emails that I truely had a responsiblity to you're saying tough crap because I have a responsibility to the fifty two emails that said "saw this bug at an event just wanted to say so"?

This isn't something that happens occationally.

One person (who actually placed one of my bugs, but whom I've seen doing this) shows 350+ TB finds because of "saw this one" logs. One person who's done this to my bugs is up to 160 TB 'finds'

I agree wholeheartedly with what bigredmed said. The e-mails from something like the ile of bugs at the GW2 can be overwhelming. I think it's silly to log bugs you did not drop off and have no intention of taking with you, but it has been going on for so long now, that it's kind of moot. it won't stop, so to add my own words of wisdom here - Don't sweat the small stuff!

Let's see, economy, war in Iraq, Korea, South Africa, Aids epidemic, West Nile disease, Lyme's disease, Mad Cows, mowing down the rainforest, yeah .... there are bigger things to worry about.

Let's go out and play!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::o

Why be lazy? If you want to log a TB then TAKE IT WITH YOU TO THE NEXT CACHE!!!!! What is so hard about that?

What you see as lazy, others see as considerate. :lol:

Not very many others, or can't you read? I really don't care what you do. I just think (and I'm not alone) its really lame!

If you are worried about email space, get a bigger email inbox. I am afraid of getting into an accident on the road. I wear a seatbelt and have airbags in my car. I don't ask everyone else to stop driving. I bought a safer car in case of an accident.

Why be lazy? If you want to log a TB then TAKE IT WITH YOU TO THE NEXT CACHE!!!!! What is so hard about that?

What you see as lazy, others see as considerate. :lol:

Not very many others, or can't you read? I really don't care what you do. I just think (and I'm not alone) its really lame!

You are entitled to your opinion. I'll even agree to disagree, but the small number of people on this thread do not constitute a majority and you, dear fellow geocacher, have no business speaking for anyone but yourself.

I wish the results of my old "Counting Coup" poll were still available. As I recall a slight majority was IN FAVOR. The greater majority couldn't give a flip one way or the other.

Sadly, the poll function is deactivated in these new forums and the voting graph has disappeared. Wayyy more people voted than responded.

SNOOGAV.jpg

how 'bout this? i find a cache with a bug in it. i already have some bugs in my posession and i know some other people would like to find the bug.sometimes i log it and leave it where it is so i'm not piggy.

or if i find it WITH another cacher, we both log it so we don't have to fight over it. i don't care how many i've had. i like to have a few in my inventory all the time because they make nice items to leave, especially at low-traffic caches.

or maybe i find a bug that i like and for one reason or another i want its history to reflect that it went to a particular cache even though i didn't leave it there.

boosting my find count? that's funny. are there people who think that's an important number?that's just weird.

who cares

Ummm...all the people in the thread above having a discussion about it?

ROFL.

The who cares type slam is a frequent assault of the "we don't need more rules" crowd. Nice response.

You know, the best thing is that

1. I never asked for a rule, I just wanted to start a discussion on the matter.

2. Obviously the person cared enough to open the post and reply to it. Chances are even that they read enough of it to decide that their answer should be "who cares"

With that said, I always love responses that don't take the effort of rubbing two brain cells together. :rolleyes: