Identify Mystery Rodent

So sorry that Bob didn't make it. I was hoping he would grow up and we would be able to see pictures of him as he grew. :smile:

If it makes you feel any better, I found a bird on Thursday that needed help but he is going to be okay.

I was outside and I saw a big crow in the grass with his wings out and he was squalking and picking at something. I went over and chased the crow away and saw the tiniest bird I have ever seen. He let me pick him up and I didn't see any cuts or injuries on him from the crow.

I called Alameda East Vet (right down the road from me) and I asked them what to do with this baby bird. They got me in touch with a wild bird rescue that was (convienently) also right down the road from me. I called them and they said to bring the little guy in.

I took him there and they said he was a healthy american tree sparrow. They said he must have fallen out of his nest and he was still too young to fly. Luckily, I saved him before he could become a crow dinner. They said he had to be fed every 40 minutes! I have no idea how long he was out there in the yard, the poor guy was probably starving! They said they will keep him inside for 8-10 days. After that, they will put him in a flight with other american tree sparrows they have for 1-2 weeks. Then he will be set free. I told him he could come back to my house any time and have some chow from our bird feeders. :ph34r:

I have so much admiration for people that help injured wildlife and the less fortunate animals in our world. I volunteer at a no-kill cat shelter and it is a wonderful feeling knowing that you are helping improve the lives of these poor animals. Not all of them make it but at least we tried. Thanks for trying Auntie. At least Bob's few weeks of life were made better because you cared.

treesp2.jpg

Well ain't that a b****. I"m so sorry the little guy didn't make it.

I tried to save a stray kitten a few weeks ago that had become stuck in a bush in my yard. He was hanging upside down when I tracked him down by following his tiny cries. He didn't even make it an hour after I found him, but I sure did try. At least he died someplace warm and soft rather than hanging in that bush.

And the little mystery rodent had lots of TLC from you too. I was hoping to watch him grow up into a .......well, whatever he was supposed to grow up into.

I like the idea of a cache in his name. The Bob Cache.

Bless you for trying so hard to save him.

Poor little Bob...I'm so very sad he didn't make it. I've adopted handicapped companions in the past (a blind dog, a three-legged cat, etc.), and always root for the underdog (no pun intended). Bob seemed to have such a fighting spirit, but maybe the fight was just bigger than he was. Thanks for making his days here the best they could be, Auntie Weasel, and for sharing your experience with us.

El Diablo struck a chord in me...the next time I make a trip for critter food for my own zoo (five cats, a German Shepherd, and an English Lop), I'll buy extra and donate it to the animal shelter in Bob's name.

Rest in peace in your Heavenly Habitat, Bob.

Good thought El Diablo! Nice way to turn this into something quite positive.

This advise is too late for good ol' Bob, but I have some info for future critter rescuers. To get a very young animal to poop often times you need to stimulate them like mama woould. The easiest way is to take a cotton ball, moisten it with warm water and gentley rub it's hiney. This emulates when mama cleans them and helps them go. But if they are too sick or dehydrated/malnuished it is not surprising for them to be constipated.

I realized this thought might seem pretty random but Weasel mentioned this was one of Bob's issues.

Seeing what nature has to offer us has to be one of the coolest things about geocaching.

I had wrapped Bob in a bit of cloth, and I put it in my bag this morning on my way out caching. Gorgeous day in New England, more like Spring than Summer. Found a funny little tree standing by itself in a big meadow. Underneath it was a large rock. I tucked him under the edge and covered it with a smaller rock, like a proper micro. That little dab of organic matter won't bother anyone out there, and nothing out there will bother him.

bobField.jpg

I'm definitely scouting around for a location and mouse-related swag for a Bob Memorial Cache (good suggestion). Thanks again, everyone, for the help and condolences.

Looks like a fitting final resting place for man or mouse(?); if I were going to be "planted", that's the type of place I'd request. Please post when you have your tribute cache placed...it would make a lovely locationless for those of us who followed Bob's all-too-short saga. On the other hand, maybe some of us can send you Bob-related swag for your cache? If you're interested, please let us know.

I have definitively solved what animal Bob is:

Bob's body will disappear and the small rock will be pushed to the side. The only question will be whether Auntie will see the face of Bob in the shroud...

Bob is quite obviously the son of doG.

That means Bob is a puppy.

I have definitively solved what animal Bob is:

Bob's body will disappear and the small rock will be pushed to the side. The only question will be whether Auntie will see the face of Bob in the shroud...

Bob is quite obviously the son of doG.

That means Bob is a puppy.

Nope...wasn't a puppy. His front feet were hand like.

Great spot for the burial Auntie.

El Diablo