Anyone Want To Go Above The Clouds With Me?

Bull Moose

Earlier this year I applied for and got 8 permits for climbing Mt. St. Helens on Saturday 9/11/04. At the time I had 8 people who wanted to go.

Well, my wife got pregnant, others decided not to come, etc, etc.

Point is, I'm going to be sitting on a few extra permits. I'm not sure how many yet. I'm trying to determine that over the next two weeks.

Do any geocachers want to accompany me to find EraSeek's Above The Clouds?

The only thing I know about the climb is what I have read here, that it is non-technical and suitable for anyone in good shape. Maybe EraSeek or someone else who has done it can fill us in a little more.

If there are more cachers that want to go than I have permits, I will do a random drawing - except for Criminal, whom I promised a long time ago could have an extra if one became available.

Everyone will have to pay their own $15 permit fee.

If you're worried that you could do it, but slowly, don't. I plan on taking 12-15 hours. (Bring that headlamp.)

Edited by Bull Moose
If you're worried that you could do it, but slowly, don't. I plan on taking 12-15 hours. (Bring that headlamp.)

I should add, don't let that scare any of you speed demons off. Just because I reserved the permits doesn't mean I have to anchor you down. As far as I'm concerened everyone can go at their own pace.

I was going to do it again this year with my kid but something got in the way (bad colds or something I think). Anyway, the drive down is about 4 1/2 hours from Mill Creek. It is best to hit the trail about 8:30 or 9 am. You'll reach the top about 12:30 to 1:30 that way. Bring water (2 litters), sunglasses, sunscreen, extra clothes (wind and cold protection), a bit of food, footwear with good tread, and an ice axe is not a bad idea.

It is often windy on top. Views can be great or you may be enveloped in clouds. You may see the dome and spirit lake, steam fumerals (sp?), landslides inside the crater, Rainier, Adams, Hood, the sisters, Olympics...

Stick to the line of posts on the way down so as not to get lost. You'll need to cross back over the ridge at the lowest point. Enjoy!

yep pretty much what Jim said. It really is just a long hike. But the rocks are a pain...slows you down. Good boots are a must. Let's see...I got a late start...sometime after 10 am and got to the top about 2 pm give or take..about 4 hours. Luckily it wasn't windy for me up there,but be prepared for that! I think it's about 12 miles RT and about 4500 feet elevation gain to the rim. MOre of a steady up then real steep. Near the crater it gets steep, you'll be traversing up so it's not that bad.

Mount_Saint_Helens_s.jpg

The others have pretty accurately described the route. No technical climbing is necessary, but I like to take an ice axe anyway just in case I get to slipping on the snow-covered sections (less of a concern in September than it was in June when I went with EraSeek) or take a wrong step near a steep slope. My track data put the hike at just over 8 miles round-trip, although if you go for the summit after reaching the rim you will add a little distance to that. Conditions prevented us from trying that last year:

1591928_1200.jpg

Anyway, here are some maps and GPS data of the route we took in case they are of any use to anybody:

Large map of route

Small map of route

3D view of route

GPS data containing track and waypoints:

Any permits left?  Peace, Nolenator

I won't know for a week or two still. I'm waiting on one last couple from the original group to back out or confirm.

Here's what I have for interest:

Crimial

Shunra

Shunra's hiking/caching partner from Sequim who's name I forgotten momentarily

Travisl +2

CurmudgeonlyGal?

Nolenator?

That's 8 there, and I'm going and one from the original party is going, so there is a max of 6 available.

I'll sort it out when I get the final tally of available passes.

BTW, if anyone else is interested throw your name in. As I've seen both by the fact that I have 6 vacant permits and from the Col. Bob Thread, people like to think they can go hiking, but back out as the time gets near.

Edited by Bull Moose
Count me (and my dad, and my brother) in for up to three passes.  That's on my dad's birthday :-)

Wow. What an unfortunate birthday. There was an Onion article about that on the first anniversary of 9/11 about how a man's birthday was forever ruined.

I remember seeing that Onion article too. Funny stuff. The whole thing is no longer available for free, but it starts out:

"Second Birthday in a Row Ruined by Terrorism"

HOBOKEN, NJ -- In what threatens to be an annual ritual, Rob Bachman, born Sept. 11, 1973, braced himself Tuesday for yet another birthday ruined by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"My birthday's gonna suck for the rest of my life," Bachman said on the eve of his 29th birthday...

I know exactly what I was doing on the evening of September 11, 2001: chatting and laughing with my family at my dad's birthday party in the Tacoma Olive Garden. Life goes on.

Any permits left?  Peace, Nolenator

I won't know for a week or two still. I'm waiting on one last couple from the original group to back out or confirm.

Here's what I have for interest:

Crimial

Shunra

Shunra's hiking/caching partner from Sequim who's name I forgotten momentarily

Travisl +2

CurmudgeonlyGal?

Nolenator?

That's 8 there, and I'm going and one from the original party is going, so there is a max of 6 available.

I'll sort it out when I get the final tally of available passes.

BTW, if anyone else is interested throw your name in. As I've seen both by the fact that I have 6 vacant permits and from the Col. Bob Thread, people like to think they can go hiking, but back out as the time gets near.

I'm not going to back out, BM. I'll be happy to send you the $30 for myself and tolmaus by paypal right away.

Um, you don't know me but I have been lurking on your adventure threads regularly. I have wanted to join you, but I live 90 minutes south of Portland and with a family, I can only do long day trips for my geo-adventures.

I would love to join you for the Mt St Helens trip. Can you put me on the waiting list?

I am very fit, but I would have to negotiate mommy's day off ahead of time.

Sincerely yours, the cfm

Yah - I was just wondering what map program he's using for that.

I'd love if I could do everything with a single program. It's rare to find a single app that lets you customize everything to your personal liking. I merge the DEM data with the DRG data using Global Mapper and use OziExplorer with 3D add-on for creating the 3D views (the latest version of Global Mapper can now do this, but I haven't experimented with it yet). Finally, I enhance the maps using Photoshop.

I can go into more detail if you'd like. It sounds complicated, but it's really fairly easy.

Yah - I was just wondering what map program he's using for that.

I'd love if I could do everything with a single program. It's rare to find a single app that lets you customize everything to your personal liking. I merge the DEM data with the DRG data using Global Mapper and use OziExplorer with 3D add-on for creating the 3D views (the latest version of Global Mapper can now do this, but I haven't experimented with it yet). Finally, I enhance the maps using Photoshop.

I can go into more detail if you'd like. It sounds complicated, but it's really fairly easy.

You answered my curiosity quite well and confirmed some assumptions. Thanks!

For what it's worth, according to http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount...mit-dates.shtml, they issue 100 permits a day, and the 60 reserved permits have already been issued for that day. But...

Climbers may obtain unreserved permits for the next day's climb from May 15 through October 31 at Jack's Restaurant and Grill in Cougar, Washington.  There are unreserved permits for at least 50 climbers issued daily at 6:00 pm for individuals wishing to climb the following day.  Climbers may sign up for the unreserved climbing permits starting at 5:30 pm at Jack's.  Four climbers are allowed to climb on each unreserved permit.  If there are more people wishing to climb than there are permits available, a lottery is held to distribute the permits.  Most evenings Jack's does not need to implement a lottery because less than 50 people show up to climb.  However, some weekends in the summer tend to get more competetive.  Climbers should expect a lottery on all holiday weekends, a few weekends in late July and most weekends in August.

So even if we end up with more cachers than permits, there's a good chance someone can show up in Cougar the day before and get a 4-person permit or two.

For what it's worth, according to http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/mount...mit-dates.shtml, they issue 100 permits a day, and the 60 reserved permits have already been issued for that day. But...
Climbers may obtain unreserved permits for the next day's climb from May 15 through October 31 at Jack's Restaurant and Grill in Cougar, Washington.  There are unreserved permits for at least 50 climbers issued daily at 6:00 pm for individuals wishing to climb the following day.  Climbers may sign up for the unreserved climbing permits starting at 5:30 pm at Jack's.  Four climbers are allowed to climb on each unreserved permit.  If there are more people wishing to climb than there are permits available, a lottery is held to distribute the permits.  Most evenings Jack's does not need to implement a lottery because less than 50 people show up to climb.  However, some weekends in the summer tend to get more competetive.  Climbers should expect a lottery on all holiday weekends, a few weekends in late July and most weekends in August.

So even if we end up with more cachers than permits, there's a good chance someone can show up in Cougar the day before and get a 4-person permit or two.

Thanks, travisl, I was just about to post that.

Hey that is great news about the possibility of extra permits.

I have succeeded in securing that day for the climb, so please count me in.

However, I can't come the night before. As the time gets closer, i will try to persuade someone who might be doing this to add me onto their permit if possible.

I will be hitting as much steep stuff as possible in the meantime to prepare!

I am looking forward to this trip, and I hope I can be included with the permits somehow.

One of my students just came back from a trip to the summit ( on 8/14) via the same route.They got to the lottery just in time on Friday night and got the last permit. She did the hike in sneakers, shorts and a T-shirt! She does run a bit in town, but is not used to elevation gain at all. Ah, carefree youth! She said it was very challenging, but was doable. She regretted not having goggles, pants, a jacket, gaiters, hiking boots, a hat, and more food and water. She and her group of OSU dormitory RAs completed the trip in 5 hours.

Could a noobie get on that list, Bull Moose? Much like 9/11, I remember precisely where I was when St. Helens blew her top - white-water canoeing on the (fabulous) John Day river in E. Oregon.

Sure.

But even if you don't get one of my reserved ones, remember some people may try to get some of the 40 lottery permits.

Could a noobie get on that list, Bull Moose? Much like 9/11, I remember precisely where I was when St. Helens blew her top - white-water canoeing on the (fabulous) John Day river in E. Oregon.

Me I was sleeping out on the deck and had just gotten up. I heard a loud boom and yep it was the volcano! My mom thought it was just a sonic boom. Seattle area. Anyay, I did St. Helens last year....totally awesome hike/climb!

1. Criminal

2. Curmudgeonly Gal

3. Nolenator

4. Shunra

5. Tolmaus

I hope some of the others are able to get together to try for the lottery.

Mmmm, once again... me (and Tolmaus) and all these manly men.

Luck?

QUITE looking forward to the trip, Bull Moose!

-=-

michelle

[edited for clarification on who the guys were here...]

Edited by CurmudgeonlyGal
1. Criminal

2. Curmudgeonly Gal

3. Nolenator

4. Shunra

5. Tolmaus

I hope some of the others are able to get together to try for the lottery.

Luck?

[edited for clarification on who the guys were here...]

I was just going to say that you'll be sharing us with Tolmaus this time...

Luck?

That's not even counting my brother who is like me only thinner, taller, and with a more outgoing, pleasant personality.

Wait a minute, he's nothing like me...

And my friend Jarod, who is a brother, just not my brother, if you understand. I'm worried about him making it. I promised to clip an FRS and a bottle of water to him and roll him back down the hill if he can't go on.

CGal, I will wear a tutu if it will make you more comfortable. Peace, Nolenator

I want to see you wear a tutu up that mountain.

I'm not sure what the plan is yet. That Friday, I have to pick up the permits and set up camp at Climber's Bivouac.

I may just wait down there a little early and then just meet people as they trickel in, since I doubt it'd be kosher for me to enter the lottery anyway.

I'm planning on getting started by 7 AM so I can go s-l-o-w if need be, so if anyone is getting there after that, we'll have to figure out how to get permits in hands. (I'm thinking a temp cache.)

Well that's a bummer for me. I have really been looking forward to this trip. But I don't blame you, Bull Moose- you don't even know me, and i was a bit late on the response.

Unfortunately I can't go the night before to do the lottery. Hey, If anyone else is planning on doing the lottery, could you can include me on your permit?

Since I have been planning this, I think I 'm going to come anyhow and perhpas I'll help send you off at the trailhead on the possible chance that someone bails at the last minute. If everyone does show,then I will just go do my own adventure on the other trails.