Bored With Caching

travisl

Well dang it all Travisl… sorry that to hear that you are in a Geoslump. For me (Mr WD) the fun is a combination of Fox and Hound, competition and the ubiquitous ‘if it hadn’t been for geocaching I would never have seen this…’ log entry. And it’s true. We have gone places and seen things that we would never have enjoyed without the stimulus of a cache reward at the end of the trail. As for clearing out the local area or ‘lame’ caches it is the Fox and Hound. Someone took the time and trouble to hide a cache and we are going to take the time and make an effort to find it. Most of the time the Hound wins but the Fox is always ahead just enough to keep it interesting. Oh… did I mention fun? One of the most interesting aspects of Geocaching is the social interaction with other folks at caching events and the Cache Machines that you invented and put together! So thank you for many fun times Travisl and we hope you break out of your slump soon. I could ramble on longer but this is enough.

-30-

Sorry, I keep thinking of things to add. I think WD makes a good point here. There are so many approaches to Geocaching, and what it is to you. Anyone who hides a cache, in my experience, does it with the best of intentions. Ok, some are better than others, but most all has some merit, and should be respected for that.

The worst cache I have found required stepping over a dead rat next to the freeway to get to it. Yah, bad.

And yet one of the interesting ones (thumbs up ones) that I found was a micro next to a slaughterhouse and railroad tracks. It was sooo bad it was good! It didn't exactly hit my goal of spiritual renewal <_< , but I certainly enjoyed the uniqueness! :blink:

It really is tough to pin down what works and what doesn't! Follow your bliss.

Nice picture, EraSeek! <_<

I think the thing that keeps me interested in geocaching is twofold - a deep interest in the technology (I was involved with GPS and mapping long before geocaching was around), and mixing things up. I think having two "homes" - one here in Seattle and another in Eastern Washington/North Idaho - helps me to keep variety in my outings. Just about when I am full of urban micros (which is pretty much all of the time :blink:), we make a trip home across the state and I get to hike high into the Selkirks for a spectacular view and an ammo box. The weekend group hikes that started last summer and are going strong this summer are something that I really look forward to and they have really helped keep my interest high.

That is not to say that I don't have any geoslumps - I definitely do. I don't have much stomach for nastiness, and being an admin has made me a punching bag for a lot of ill-mannered people. I also wish that we admins could find a way to fairly implement a way to increase cache quality. However, that is such a subjective measure that it would only lead to more fighting and nastiness. Heck, whenever I jump into a thread stating my opinion that we've gone overboard with micros, there are as many people agreeing with me as those telling me to shut up. Who's to say who's right?

In the end, you need to follow what you enjoy. I think that my enjoyment of the outdoors and GPS technology will keep me interested in this activity for a long time to come and allow me to weather the other distractions and annoyances that come up.

Thanks Half-Canadian for reminding us why!

Time for some of us to go find a cache at the break of dawn :o Silly as it may sound, that's what I look for in Geocaching; spiritual renewal.

Half-Canadian I feel the exact same way.

Bored not yet, I wonder when and if?

I have other hobbies (one of which is dangerious <_< ) the other sewing which some how I always managed to wrap around caching. Ah well... when I go out and play I always expect to have fun and it's all about my attitude!

I'm not bothered by what I find and where only that I have successfully completed my hunt. It's all about the hunt not where I'm hunting or for what.

I guess I'm just easy to please.

Call me crazy (most of you probably do :blink: ), but I'm still hooked!

(Time for some of us to go find a cache at the break of dawn :D Silly as it may sound, that's what I look for in Geocaching; spiritual renewal.)

Funny you metion it ES I did just that morning, but I swear I'm in for the day.

Happy pepper

Hey TravisL: I remember, always, your first cache find. I, though, am done caching. I popped onto forums to post a note for a giveaway of goods, because I am really done. Caching for me has lost the fun it once was because for me it was a social thing too - getting out with a good friend to hit some newly planted caches, fighting to be the first ones for the first find. That fire is long gone, kids aren't so interested in caching now, and I'm not checking in even regularly for "cache hides". I don't know what to do with my inventory of travel bugs - they are out there, travelling. Caching no longer lights my spirit as it did in the beginning. For others I used to cache with, it must be the same - for I haven't cached with regulars for months, years - oh well, life goes on. Peace- CT

I'm not bored with caching, not by a dadgum sight. I'm way too new at this to get bored yet. But, I think it's time to slow down a bit. I really don't want to burn out on this, as it's about the most fun I've had sober and dressed since I was in the Navy back in the '70's.

I've only been in this since February, but I've been busy. The initial rush is starting to wear off, a little though. And that's fine. I've gone through the "gotta clean out my area" thing. In fact, when TriVans set 2 new ones recently, I shot over there as fast as I could to clear "my" area. When we got back home, I thought to myself, "huh????" I do have other things to do.....

There's the added advantage that my wife enjoys it too. If she didn't like it, I would probably quit. Not from boredom, but from lack of a caching buddy. I do go out alone, very rarely, and it's not as much fun. If you don't have someone to play with, you'll get bored to tears in a hurry.

Up in about the second post of this thread, Bull Moose mentioned the series of micros near his place, and how he has little to no interest in them. I think I know which ones he's talking about, and I have minimal interest in them, too. Mainly because the are urban micros. While UM's are fun, I do prefer a traditional cache.

Now, before someone goes and looks at my hides, yes, five of them are micros. One was converted from a traditional, due to damage to the original container. As soon as I get a chance, I want to try to convert it back, if I can find a good hiding place for the new container. Another may get changed to a traditional when some construction work is finished. And, the next one I have planned will be a traditional.

I've only been caching since Feb of this year. Like many others, when I first started would find 7-10 caches in a day. Since, then I have slowed down and now cache when I have the time. Now, I'm at 80 finds and some hunts are easier. I asked myself why? I think it is I'm used to parellel sticks, I know where to look, know what an ammo box is and how big it is. I still have great fun finding the cache. For me, it is the hunt. Knowing I found something, thay other people have walked by etc.

I've hidden one, and admit the coordinates I first posted were off. Before I submitted my find, I had checked my coordinates twice, just was not getting a good reading though. But thanks, to some of the first hunters, I was able to update the coordinates. In my many minds, I have had few ones that were dead one. Many are within 30 feet, which is fine with me. It is part of the game and in my opinion adds to the challenge.

Since I live in the Federal Way area, there are lots of caches in the area. Being new to the game, it is hard to find a good location. Everytime, I spot a cool spot and do a search for nearby caches, there is one or more too close. So I continue to look. I have some kewl ideas, I just have to find a good location.

So am I bored with caching? Nope! I've just slowed down a bit so I can enjoy my newest hobby. I always enjoy running into fellow cachers. I've met only a few, but everyone has been a pleasure to meet!

Hope to see you out hunting!

Steve (JavaDuck)

I seem to be having a slightly different problem, I'm not bored, but more frustrated. I can't seem to find anything lately, am now 1 for 6.

How do you keep interested when people post "jumped out and grabbed it" or "easy find" when I'm poking into bugs nests and sticking my hands in places that they shouldn't be ;) just to come up empty? Anybody know of any 0.25 star caches around to get back in the swing? :P

I do think I'll stick to more quality hikes out in nicer areas, and not just go for the numbers. (I know, 40 finds makes me a mear infant compared to others.) To me, what got me interested in GC in the first place was finding trails and camp grounds that I never knew about. Finding something stuck to a light post at the mall seems kinda silly (but is STILL bugs me not to find it :huh: )

Si

Anybody? What have you done to keep yourself motivated?

I guess I'm an Anybody. I love the outdoors, I love to hunt, and I like playing with computers and gadgets so geocaching was a good hobby for me to take up. What helps me stay motivated with geocaching is having a goal. In my first month of geocaching I found 50, so for my 1st year I decided 600 would be a good goal. That kept me motivated and I achieved it. For my second year I dropped back to 400 more as a goal, and it looks like I will reach 1000 before my second anniversary date. I've seen all kinds of caches, some good some bad, but its not the quality of someone else's cache that keep me in the game. As with any sport or hobby there are pluses and minuses. I may spend an entire day fishing and only catch one sucker fish, but that doesn't keep me from going out another day to fish. Sometimes I wonder why some caches were placed where they were. It may have required walking through a swamp with no view, or battling heavy brush and blackberry thorns, and I wonder ..Why? But I figure thats part of the game and I take the good with the bad. I also have the option to just not do some caches. A week ago I was in North Carolina and drove to a spot where my gps pointed 1/4 mile into dense forest (which I knew from previous locations in the south is infested with mosquitos, spiders, and snakes). And to top it all off, the cache was a micro...a film canister. So I moved on. I was a little disappointed I drove several miles to the location, and lost some time I could have used looking for better caches, but oh well, no need to lose sleep over it, just accept it as part of the game.

But I think having a goal will help alleviate the boredom problem. It works for me. Perhaps instead of a quantity goal, have a different goal, such as going to 2 or 3 geocaching weekend events with other geocachers this year, or finding only regular caches with views, or moving so many travel bugs, or finding a coveted Moun10bike geocoin, or a new WA state geocoin.

Travisl, Is it possible you are getting burnout due to the amount of work it takes to put together the cache machines? I've never been on one, but from what I hear they are great social events, and your efforts are really appreciated. But having future CMs scheduled, is it possible it has turned from a fun thing to do, to an obligation or a chore? If so, maybe you need to take a break from it for a while, or hand the baton to someone esle who may be willing to do it. Don't know, just thought I'd ask.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. So it's on to the next cache for me........

In short, I think I've just gotten bored with caching. ... What have you done to keep yourself motivated?

After experiencing a cache machine recently I'd say--and take this as a friendly jab--that anyone who could think of such a thing has a serious problem! ;) It is possible to get too much of a good thing and boredom is a natural defense to intense pleasure. Taking a break is healthy if you can do it without feeling guilty.

Fortunately, geocaching and GPS technology apply to many activities in different ways which help keep the game fresh. Add the socializing and competition and the problem then becomes how to keep it all in perspective. Can you say "addiction?" Some of the things I've done to keep out of a rut going on 3 years include:

* Placing caches--much harder than finding them! Sometimes I just go for a hike or ride and look for new spots.

* Playing other GPS games such as benchmarking, geodashing, hot potato, etc. (up to half of my geo-time is spent this way).

* Using the GPS in other activities like canoeing, mountain biking and hiking (how I started using it many years ago).

* Setting personal goals such as finding a cache and benchmark in each city I visit.

* Taking time to do the great caches first and leaving the others for when I'm in the mood.

* Learning more about the GPS and related technologies.

* Reading logs and looking at photos to see what others have experienced.

* Meeting the interesting people who play this fascinating game.

* Giving TPTB a hard time (oops, strike that!). :huh:

One way to look at it is that we can focus on geocaching's technology, the activity itself, the people behind it or the places it takes us. New software, interesting cache ideas, other people, other places--so many choices! It can get overwhelming and often the simple pleasure of just going on a short trip to someplace new with open eyes is enough to get me out of the house.

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Ellen Parr

pcnpixel2004261480729.gif

That is not to say that I don't have any geoslumps - I definitely do.  I don't have much stomach for nastiness, and being an admin has made me a punching bag for a lot of ill-mannered people.  I also wish that we admins could find a way to fairly implement a way to increase cache quality.

I guess nastiness had to happen as more people came onboard. The internet doesn't help either. Because I find your perspective and insight valuable, I encourage you to keep speaking up!

As you and others have mentioned, the decline in cache quality is troubling. Avoiding micros, neighborhood parks or urban caches is a popular response but I've visited just as many leaking containers under the random forest log or desert rock. We all need to encourage quality. Given the numbers it almost has to be done at the local level but people like yourself help set a good example. happy34.gif

Travisl, Is it possible you are getting burnout due to the amount of work it takes to put together the cache machines?  I've never been on one, but from what I hear they are great social events, and your efforts are really appreciated.

Thanks, but no, my enjoyment of planning cache machines has only waned a little tiny bit, while my enjoyment of finding film canisters in lampposts has waned a lot. They're really two unrelated aspects of the same thing.

This thread, and a search today, has led to an epiphany of sorts for me. I happened to be in Seattle today, near the ''CWB'' cache. The Center for Wooden Boats sounded interesting, so I went to search for the cache.

I got to see quite a few nice looking boats, some boats under construction, and talked to a cute girl working there. Two waypoints led me to a trash-strewn area in a spider-webby area in search of a CD-sized container. Five minutes of glancing around, and I realized something.

I'd already met my goal. It wasn't to find the cache. It was to check out a neat place.

This cache will get a DNF and a new acronym I expect to use a lot from now on: DBL (didn't bother looking). Now that I no longer am really looking for the cache, I found this cache hunt quite enjoyable. It was a successful geocaching trip.

A lot of you, including myself, have said ''don't search for caches in places that don't interest you,'' or ''don't search for lame caches,'' but often it's hard to tell from the cache description or comments whether a cache is lame or not. The stock response to the frequent question, ''why don't we implement a rating system'' is ''just read the logs,'' but often the logs are vague, misleading, or just too nice. Let this posting serve as notice to everyone that if you're cache is a yawner, I'll call it like I see it (or didn't see it, as the case may be.)

As I've said before, it's really all about going to neat spots. I just needed to remind myself of that.

Edited by travisl
This cache will get a DNF and a new acronym I expect to use a lot from now on: DBL (didn't bother looking). Now that I no longer am really looking for the cache, I found this cache hunt quite enjoyable. It was a successful geocaching trip.

I guess I never thought about it exactly like that but that's how I cache. I have a LOT of DNF's. While it would be nice to get the little smiley face on all of them, just to make things look good, it's typically not worth it to me. I look until it's no longer any fun to look. On caches that are rated higher on difficulty I last longer but on 1 difficulties if I can't find it pretty quickly I'm usually off to somewhere else or hopefully just done looking and enjoy the spot we're at.

DBL - Didn't bother to look. :unsure:

Or

DBL - Don't bother looking. B)

Works for me. Either way.

So a frowny face and DBL means one thing and a smiley face and DBL means another, right? :mellow:

Thanks for the idea and new acronym.

logscaler.

The acronym is new, but it changes nothing. We have always been able to leave negative feedback, and traditionally we don't do it. So this acronym won't stick either.

Leaving critical logs requires some diplomacy.

I admit, I'm frightened of the thought of people leaving honest logs.

I keep thinking of cool ideas for caches, yet though I have been caching for a year and a half I have placed only one, and it wasn't really all that cool. When all you hear in the forums is "Geojunk! Geojunk everywhere! I hate micros! I hate city parks! I hate things that are too easy! I hate things that are too hard!" -- I guess what I'm asking is this: how does one get over the fear that geocachers they respect will publicly tar-and-feather them in the logs?

I feel like I'm a pretty thick-skinned person, too, so I can't be alone.

I've placed only one cache, and within two weeks its name was brought up in a forum thread, and I'm trying very hard not to read too much into that. I'm honestly not trying to put anybody on the "spot," but it does make one wonder. I'm also wondering, however, if this might have some correlation with the slowed pace of caches placed in the south sound area...?

I like honesty, but maybe total honesty isn't always such a good thing?

Not trying to criticize anybody, just being randomly philosophical. I've like every cache I've hunted in its own way, even when it's one I can't find. B)

This cache will get a DNF and a new acronym I expect to use a lot from now on: DBL (didn't bother looking). ...

As I've said before, it's really all about going to neat spots. I just needed to remind myself of that.

Location is one thing that can make a cache attractive but not everyone lives in wonderful places. A cache can have other worthwhile features such as navigational challenge, physical effort (high or low), clever hide, historical or educational information, interesting theme, amusement, or just chance events that make the hunt memorable. True, some caches seem to have no redeeming value other than as a cache fix, but even then a critical log should explain what bothered you so the owner can take care of it if they choose; caches do get misplaced, the environment can change with the seasons, and owners sometimes upgrade their caches. A cryptic DBL is not very nice, as if it was too much trouble to even comment.

how about SLWIH = Sighed Log Wished I Hadn't

Sighed log. That's a good one.

I prefer to keep my logs positive, though. if a cache owner doesn't 'get it' when he reads something like this:

33/52 of my overnight marathon. I'm getting the hang of this... This also appears to have been my #400th cache, Thanks

Nothing will make him get it.

And anyway, what would we want to achieve? Do we care if other people go look for the lame cache? Do we want to piss him off? or do we want to stop him from hiding more caches like that? Only the latter, as far as I'm concerned.

I wish to raise a "hear! hear!" for NomadRaven's recent post. This is truly something to consider, and it is an issue that comes up in almost *every* activity. We all have to *train* the "youngsters" -- no matter their age.

So Moun10Bike has revealed that his skin is not mde of armored-plate steel. Good! I hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example. Now Moun10Bike has been at this sport for long enough that he's managed to hide over 60 caches. If somehow, God forbid, he makes a really miserable hide, then perhaps he would deserve a "YCS" comment. However, I still think it would be better to send such a comment via private e-mail first, and only resort to a public flogging if he's just recalcitrant. :D

On the other hand, Joe Newbie has found 1 cache and has decided to hide 10 in his first week of caching. (Jane Newbie, of course, wouldn't go overboard so quickly, right? :D ) If Joe has a really awful cache I would think it best to cut him (or her) a little slack and send a message to complain to him directly. Perhaps a little education and mentoring would be the best solution to the problem.

So what do we do if Joe doesn't learn or is "pig headed" about it? I'm not sure if there is a good solution here. I mean, perhaps The Approvers could develop relationship with "Trusted Cache Raters" who would help separate the wheat from the chaff, but then you might irk Joe Newbie so that he runs around trashing other caches.

I guess it gets back to a user rating system, where the users can rate the quality of each cache and also that of the cache hider. Simple, yeah? Someone could surely hack this out in, what, 3 hours? :D Not a chance!

Unlike E-bay ratings, though, negative feedback isn't a necessity for new players. I guess I would just say "take it easy". Maybe keep notes on whose caches *you* do/don't like, and manage your own problem yourself. *I'm* trying to do that, too.

I hear what everyone is saying.

I do alot of caching at night just to make that easy find kicked up a notch on the difficulty scale. And you aren't surrounded by howling coyotes during the day which gets the blood pumping too.

A way I can tell if a cache is worth it to me is to scan the logs. A TNLNSL TFTH will probably not do it for me, ( maybe I put that one on my night caches list. )

But logs from people I know and trust that go on and on and on I can be sure that's a cache worth going for. And the events in the PDX area are pretty dadgum good, ( insert factalsoup plug here )

After caching for 3 years I've grown tired of it and I take some breaks here and there. It isn't the micros in a lampost that turn me off. I enjoy most all caches and would never think of leaving some of the suggested logs mentioned in this thread. That just shows how petty some of you are.

I just have lots of things to do. We would rather scuba dive than cache any day of the week but last friday while in Santa Barbara we did find 13 local easy caches and had a great time doing that. A new area we have never visited made caching more fun again. Oh and many of you would have called several of them lame. They weren't, they were just easy.

I still believe that no cache truly sucks. They all have some purpose, however mundane that purpose may be. Telling someone his or her cache sucks would be a tad cruel. I have little interest in guardrail micros and anything to do with a bison tube, but someone obviously does or they wouldn't have gone there.

My "Ya Want any Fries With That" cache (magnetic altiods on a pole) was supposed to be easy, that was the funny part, you only had to roll down the window to get it. I know it was lame, but that was the point. I also learned a valuable lesson about judging someone's cache, in this case my own. There were logs from people who liked it! They had fun! I recall one guy who had just overcome an illness who appreciated being able to cache even though he couldn't hike very far. That cache got more hits in its first month then Julian's Leap Year Only has in the six or so it's been up.

My point, be tactful, recognize that to someone (especially a beginner) every cache has value. Now that we have much more experience to draw from it is only natural that the less challenging caches are not going to satisfy.

I think these last few posts on how good or lame a cache is proves that a rating system is an awful idea. There's too much subjectivity from cacher to cacher to make it effective. It isn't at all the same as the E-bay rating system because the rating system on E-bay is based on hard points, such as product, service, payment, and response to problems.

YOU cannot quantify a cache the same way and get total agreement by others. What works for you may not work for someone else. A disabled person may think hikes to caches suck. Where you think a park and grab is lame, it is superb to that same person.

I'm selective to the caches I seek out. They will be hidden by those cachers I know, or they will be caches in places I want to go to becuase I think it is an interesting location; and you just might not agree with my thinking it is interesting.

There are exceptions, such as caches where the error of placement is extremely high without notice, or the clues are useless. The comments already get logged about it when this occurs. But cruel comments just because you disagree the cache is interesting is just that and has no place in a community that purports to support a positive role. The reality of it is, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.

Nomad Raven asked:

I've placed only one cache, and within two weeks its name was brought up in a forum thread, and I'm trying very hard not to read too much into that.

No need -- your ''Because there *is* a CITO in 'procrastination!''' cache isn't lame - it's a good one. It just happened, by unfortunate coincidence, to be the last one I found before posting this thread. It was by no means the catalyst for this discussion. I enjoyed the stroll to it. It's very similar to most of my hides (walk 0.15 miles, look for ammo box under parallel sticks).

Patudles wrote:

When I have driven up (or walked) to an area I don't like and decide not to look for the cache I have never bothered to log a DNF. But maybe you have a point. Next time maybe I will use the note selection and log a DBF (with the appropriate smilie of course).

See, that's the problem with ''we don't need a rating system; just check the logs,'' because cachers as a group are really some of the nicest, kindest, most selfless folks you'd ever meet. Unfortunately, that means that a moldy tupperware container in a ditch on the side of a non-descript farm road either gets a ''Interesting area, thanks for the hunt'' log, or no log at all. While I agree that a rating system would cause probably more problems than it would solve -- which is why I'm not advocating such a system -- I think logs need to be more honest.

BigEddy commented:

some caches seem to have no redeeming value other than as a cache fix, but even then a critical log should explain what bothered you so the owner can take care of it if they choose... A cryptic DBL is not very nice, as if it was too much trouble to even comment.

I completely agree. I wouldn't list a DBL without explaining why.

Shunra, however, I disagree with:

I prefer to keep my logs positive, though. if a cache owner doesn't 'get it' when he reads something like this:

33/52 of my overnight marathon. I'm getting the hang of this... This also appears to have been my #400th cache, Thanks

Nothing will make him get it.

As a cache owner, this tells me nothing. My assumption would be that the cache finder had a lot of logs to get through, and is just cutting and pasting. This says nothing about the quality of the cache.

Criminal:

I still believe that no cache truly sucks

You're being too nice. Using myself as an example, my archived Jack In The Box Park cache was one of the suckiest caches ever. It was a non-waterproof plastic gumball machine prize bubble, wrapped in camo duct tape, shoved into tall grass in a nothing park on the side of I-5. Within a couple of weeks, the page was getting moldy.

Sure, it provided folks with a cache fix for a while, but if you think some caches are really good -- in your top 5% of finds -- then you almost have to think some caches are sucky (or ''not so good'', if you prefer to be kind) -- in your bottom 5% of finds.

TotemLake wrote:

But cruel comments just because you disagree the cache is interesting is just that and has no place in a community that purports to support a positive role. The reality of it is, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.

I'd never make cruel comments for the sake of being cruel. But if I'd searched for my Jack In The Box Park cache today, I'd certainly write something like " :D Got to the park and realized this was a small container hidden in a field of grass. Thanks for taking me to this park I never knew was here, but I didn't feel like searching through the mucky area too hard, so DBL." Or, if I'd actually found it, " :D Thanks for taking me to this park I never knew was here. I found the container quickly, but it's leaking and the logsheet is growing mold. For such a small container possibly hidden in so many places, I'm surprised I found it so fast."

Edited by travisl
But if I'd searched for my Jack In The Box Park cache today...

Did you miss my point? (OK, I know I can be a bit verbose)

That cache would have thrilled me back in the fall of 01. The condition of the log has nothing to do with the quality of the cache, thats a maint issue. We've grown, we've matured in our geocaching. I remember a time when you'd drive the bridge no matter how crappified a cache I hid... :D

What we all need is a sucky cache contest. :D Plant your worst! "EraSeek's Worst". Encourage all to log honestly on how bad it was :D Just to let everyone get it out of their systems :D

Boy, I think I could plant some really good "bad" ones!

It's funny. I planted one in a fountain in front of the sanitation department. Some people thought they were reaching into "used water" :D . I checked for sure. The sanitation guys got a laugh out of that.

Yes, Criminal, I'd gotten your point, but lost it again by the time I'd gotten to the end of my post. If I can paraphrase, your point is that any cache, whether it's an ammo can on a mountain or a virtual benchmark at Southcenter Mall, will appeal to someone. While I personally would think the the latter would be a sucky cache, I'd be kind enough not to say that, because, as I've said many times, to each his own. My log would most likely point out my lack of interest, however, if other logs hadn't been clear enough to let me know that I was about to go to a lame location.

And, as you've shown with ''Fries'', even a lame hide can be a fun cache hunt, if proper notice is given.

Edited by travisl
But if I'd searched for my Jack In The Box Park cache today...

Did you miss my point? (OK, I know I can be a bit verbose)

That cache would have thrilled me back in the fall of 01. The condition of the log has nothing to do with the quality of the cache, thats a maint issue. We've grown, we've matured in our geocaching. I remember a time when you'd drive the bridge no matter how crappified a cache I hid... :D

Exactally. When you get to 900-1000 caches you have pretty much seen it all. :D

Imagine having sex for every found log. Sooner or later it just aint no big deal anymore! :D

[...] cachers as a group are really some of the nicest, kindest, most selfless folks you'd ever meet. Unfortunately, that means that a moldy tupperware container in a ditch on the side of a non-descript farm road either gets a ''Interesting area, thanks for the hunt'' log, or no log at all. While I agree that a rating system would cause probably more problems than it would solve -- which is why I'm not advocating such a system -- I think logs need to be more honest.

Let me be clear on this, Travisl:

I'll try to avoid saying anything negative about the idea of a cache, the choice of location, etc. At the worst, I just won't comment on it at all. Somebody made the effort, thought it was worthwhile, and doesn't deserved to be stomped on, even if I think it is utterly lame and a waste of time. I'll think DBL, but won't say it.

However, I'll be scrupulously honest about cache conditions. A mouldy log in a tupperware box will get a comment from me, and likely an SBA as well, if imore people have commented and the owner isn't responsive for whatever reason. I have had some logs like that deleted by cache owners and I assume that some people out there don't like me for it, but this is what I do for the community.

Lame locations are in the eye of the beholder, but unmaintained caches are an affront to everyone. A cache owner who makes an effort to hide a cache deserves credit, even when in my subjective opinion his idea is utterly lame. A cache owner who neglects his cache, however, deserves to be outed, if not in public, than at least on his cache page.

In either of the two cases, I am not compromising my honesty, but separating my subjective opinion from my objective observations

TotemLake wrote:
But cruel comments just because you disagree the cache is interesting is just that and has no place in a community that purports to support a positive role. The reality of it is, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.

I'd never make cruel comments for the sake of being cruel. But if I'd searched for my Jack In The Box Park cache today, I'd certainly write something like " :D Got to the park and realized this was a small container hidden in a field of grass. Thanks for taking me to this park I never knew was here, but I didn't feel like searching through the mucky area too hard, so DBL." Or, if I'd actually found it, " :D Thanks for taking me to this park I never knew was here. I found the container quickly, but it's leaking and the logsheet is growing mold. For such a small container possibly hidden in so many places, I'm surprised I found it so fast."

Just for clarity's sake, that's the way I read you would do things, Travisl, and for the short time I've followed your history, figured that's what you meant. I hope one day to meet up with you with more than just a cursory howdy at a cache machine.

However, I did notice a vein of a brutal honesty starting to crop up in how to handle subjective feelings about caches. My note was merely a reminder to folks of that subjectiveness.

As an aside, y'all got me to thinking about my one and only hide, and I happen to have the day off from digging around trees today due to the rain, so figure this might be a good time for maintenance. :D

Imagine having sex for every found log. Sooner or later it just aint no big deal anymore!  :D

You mean you don't!? :D

Now if I could just find a geocaching partner.....since my last one popped. :D

Actually I do! :D Its just that on the days where we've done 30 caches we just dont have the energy to do it right :D:D:D

Imagine having sex for every found log. Sooner or later it just aint no big deal anymore!  :D

You mean you don't!? :D

Now if I could just find a geocaching partner.....since my last one popped. :D

Actually I do! :D Its just that on the days where we've done 30 caches we just dont have the energy to do it right :D:D:D

To stay on topic, I've always wondered about your handle, Ish. I obviously know what it means - see what I do for a living.

(or is it the Isha I'm talking to?) :D

Imagine having sex for every found log. Sooner or later it just aint no big deal anymore!  :P

You mean you don't!? :huh:

Now if I could just find a geocaching partner.....since my last one popped. ;)

Actually I do! :smile: Its just that on the days where we've done 30 caches we just dont have the energy to do it right ;):P:ph34r:

To stay on topic, I've always wondered about your handle, Ish. I obviously know what it means - see what I do for a living.

(or is it the Isha I'm talking to?) ;)

Ish,

Isha has been a very gracious companion but not what WAS the driving force. She has actually been enjoying going on trips and not having to hear every so often....."We just drove within 1000' of a cache!

(or is it the Isha I'm talking to?)    :smile:

Ish,

Isha has been a very gracious companion but not what WAS the driving force. She has actually been enjoying going on trips and not having to hear every so often....."We just drove within 1000' of a cache!

ishti oto-hadavar :ph34r:

tov, kshetagì'u laëzor shelànu, tihyu beqèsher!

( ;) to the rest of you)

That’s the right answer John!. It’s from Shakespeare … Julius Cæsar... Casca didn't know what was said 'cause he didn't understand the language. I will bet a buck this is Hebrew but what it says I know not.

Just innocent banter, in case Ish or Isha understands the language of the ishes and ishas.

If they don't, no damage done.

As to Greek - that's something I understand only once in a blue moon.