WOO HOO

AuntGiGi

mea culpa...sorry, moose...she is a real live gal...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

quote:
Originally posted by mrmnjewel:

mea culpa...sorry, moose...she is a real live gal...

_The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field._---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=mrmnjewel

_I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)_

You are forgiven my son. icon_biggrin.gif

Looking at the pictures, it appears that AuntGiGi has a wedding ring on.

Anybody want to ask if there is an Uncle GiGi?

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

"Let me see if I got this right... you have to buy an expensive GPSr to find a box of junk?" - T-Mac's Son

"There's happy meal toys in the boxes? Let's go" - T-Mac's Son again

quote:
Originally posted by T-Mac GH:

Looking at the pictures, it appears that AuntGiGi has a wedding ring on.

Anybody want to ask if there is an Uncle GiGi?

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

"Let me see if I got this right... you have to buy an expensive GPSr to find a box of junk?" - T-Mac's Son

...might not be a problem if they were in Utah icon_wink.gif but I suspect it explains her avatar pic being torn in half. icon_smile.gif

Before we all mutually decide to let this one float away...

In the entire history of the Getting Started Forum...

Excluding the first two threads, of course...

This is the 2nd most viewed thread.

(1st is "Caches filled with trash")

This is the 3rd most posted to thread.

(1st is "What's the general age of people who geocache?";

2nd is "How did you hear about Geocaching?")

The 1st & 2nd most posted to threads are just general survey threads and don't count IMO.

I was bored and looked through all 66 pages of threads...

It's also interesting looking all the way back you can see the exponential growth of the forum in recent months.

So congratulations to AuntGiGi for being such a spark!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Before we all mutually decide to let this one float away...

This is the 3rd most posted to thread.

(1st is "What's the general age of people who geocache?";

2nd is "How did you hear about Geocaching?")

The 1st & 2nd most posted to threads are just general survey threads and don't count IMO.

I was bored and looked through all 66 pages of threads...

It's also interesting looking all the way back you can see the exponential growth of the forum in recent months.

So congratulations to AuntGiGi for being such a spark!

It was probably all the male geocachers checking out the photos of AG's scarred knee.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

And, why let it end? This is a nice, fun, relatively unoffensive thread. I agree...The whole Aunt Gigi saga has been a neat little diversion/soap opera. Hadn't noticed the wedding ring...need to go check the pics...

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

quote:
posted August 04, 2003 12:16 PM

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/0803/AuntGiGi1/?&sort=ascending&multi=2&start=0

These are various pics of me. Beware I have no makeup on today~ The second pic is of my right knee which is why I have not been geo-ing. The others are me on a medical mission trip to Haiti (I am a surgical technologist), with my dog, Rebel, my neice Jessie, In Los Angeles, NYC, Etc.

Funny thing, I can't get this site to come up at all??? Anyone else having the same problem? I am still not convinced.

The Cache Couple

East TN

You know, I gave you guys pics...I held up you little idea "the sign" and still am sick of this crap of "I still can't get the page to come up" etc. Sorry if I offended anyone or caused so much drama on "your" board. This is an international site and you let one old member taint your perception of me. I understand the scepticisim at first, but had I not come in here to show my pictures the flaming and outright rude posts would have continued. I felt it was worth doing because I liked this board. And about the married issue, yes I am and proud of it. Didn't stop married members from flooding my PM's with their messages. It was all in good fun, but I am sure it will be my fault yet again, and not the other married members who acted the way they did. I am up to having fun on boards but it stops at just that..FUN..There were some funny posts and I responded with what I thought was humor. I did what you asked because I am getting into this hobby and wanted very much to talk to people who knew more about it than I did. I did not start this nonsense. I put my avitar up (The same one I use on all sites) and other members started this crap. I was simply looking for advice on caching and finding hunts. I will continue to get hunts off this site but since "I" cause so much drama, I will not post anymore in here. I think I have went beyond what I usually do in proving to people I have been posting with for a few weeks that I am who I am. I hope you all have fun on this board....It is very nice. But a note for the future....If you want new posters and fellow cachers to feel welcome here and like they are part of this forum, I suggest you embrace the fact that they want to be a part of your community instead of alienating them. We're all grown, but I feel like I am in middle school the way some of these posts have went. This is simply not worth my time to participate in a 3 ring circus that other members created. Thanks for the warm welcome at first and be safe when you are out. Maybe I will see you on the trail.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

Amen, AuntGiGi.

Most boards on most sites are the same, they tend to have two major issues.

One, they tend to be controlled by a small group of 'insiders' who think they own it and know everything. When newbies come along and ask questions, they get flamed for not knowing the answer already.

The other problem is that a lot of the posters are either pimply-faced computer geeks who never had a date, or old guys married to fat ugly ladies. So, whenever someone gives of the impression that they are a young attractive female, all hell breaks loose. I think this is why most ladies do not post pictures; it’s just not worth it. My wife will not post on message boards for this very same reason.

I too just started with this, and have been checking out the 'getting started' boards for help and ideas. I was reading this thread because it started off kind of funny and you were playing along with it. I laughed when I saw the picture about being too lazy to get the USA Today. I pointed out the fact that you were married to stop the proposals I guess. I know that in the process I dashed the dreams of many geocachers (maybe that should be geogeeks?). So, I apologize if I offended you in any way.

I commend you on the start in this hobby and hope you stick with it and enjoy it for what it is meant to be.

Of course, now I will get flamed for this post.

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

Sorry, just what this thread needed, another change in thread direction...

Animated_MiGO_A88.gif

Gentlemen… there is a “lesson here”… unfortunately the ones that need to heed it the most will probably heed it the least… never suspecting that THEY are the ones that require introspection.

AuntGiGi… don’t loose your enthusiasm for this new hobby you have discovered because of this… the ‘field’ Geocaching experience is where it’s at… enjoy.

"Remember... nothing is completly worthless!!... it can always be used as a bad example"!

quote:
So, whenever someone gives of the impression that they are a young attractive female, all hell breaks loose. I think this is why most ladies do not post pictures; it’s just not worth it. My wife will not post on message boards for this very same reason.

I had the very same problem when I used my photo as an icon. All those married women filling my in-box icon_rolleyes.gif.

But seriously, there is something about an atractive femlale that sets things off.

Either people believe its too good to be true (hence the Mitsuko reference...and I apologize for being the one to start that), or the guys start acting like starry-eyed teens. I think T-Mac is correct in that this behavior isn't limited to the GC.COM forums.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

You know...my comment requesting photographic proof of AuntGiGi's reality with the USA Today was completely sarcastic.

I was trying to point out how ridiculous it was that anyone had to prove anything in a forum. Especially whether or not they were real. She came back so fast with the photos that I was sure she was enjoying the farce.

It makes me sick in the stomach that AuntGiGi felt harrassed and made fun of. I thought we were _all_ having fun...I came here today because I wanted to smile and giggle. Now I'm just upset.

AG, I can't quite find which post finally made you mad...

I know I have a very sarcastic and dry humor, and my wife has told me that it is nearly impossible to tell when I am joking or not in email because she can't hear the tone in my voice (which is often the only thing that gives away my jokes). This is why I wrote "SARK HAHA" at the end of my post (SARK=sarcasm; HAHA=joke)

I think that is probably what happened here. I doubt that anyone said anything to be intentionally rude or hurtful. And I think that it is easy to forget there is a real living breathing human being behind the avatar (ironic that this lesson is being learned in this thread).

We all need a reminder from time to time. We should post to each other the same way we would talk to each other if we were face to face.

AuntGiGi, I'm sorry. I really am.

Please come back. Everyone really likes you!

Wow! Some pretty pi**ed off people in here. I can't believe people actually sent AG e-mails or pm'd her. I assure you I wasn't one of them. What started out as a harmless joke really balooned into something else. I said I meant no offence way back early in this thread and I also said that its time for this thread to die. Come back AG...we miss you! icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

I can't believe people actually sent AG e-mails or pm'd her. I assure you I wasn't one of them.

that is pretty lame to do that. come on, people.

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

quote:
Originally posted by AuntGiGi:

You know, I gave you guys pics...I held up you little idea "the sign" and still am sick of this crap of "I still can't get the page to come up" etc. Sorry if I offended anyone or caused so much drama on "your" board. This is an international site and you let one old member taint your perception of me. I understand the scepticisim at first, but had I not come in here to show my pictures the flaming and outright rude posts would have continued. I felt it was worth doing because I liked this board. And about the married issue, yes I am and proud of it. Didn't stop married members from flooding my PM's with their messages. It was all in good fun, but I am sure it will be my fault yet again, and not the other married members who acted the way they did. I am up to having fun on boards but it stops at just that..FUN..There were some funny posts and I responded with what I thought was humor. I did what you asked because I am getting into this hobby and wanted very much to talk to people who knew more about it than I did. I did not start this nonsense. I put my avitar up (The same one I use on all sites) and other members started this crap. I was simply looking for advice on caching and finding hunts. I will continue to get hunts off this site but since "I" cause so much drama, I will not post anymore in here. I think I have went beyond what I usually do in proving to people I have been posting with for a few weeks that I am who I am. I hope you all have fun on this board....It is very nice. But a note for the future....If you want new posters and fellow cachers to feel welcome here and like they are part of this forum, I suggest you embrace the fact that they want to be a part of your community instead of alienating them. We're all grown, but I feel like I am in middle school the way some of these posts have went. This is simply not worth my time to participate in a 3 ring circus that other members created. Thanks for the warm welcome at first and be safe when you are out. Maybe I will see you on the trail.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today"-James Dean

icon_biggrin.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

N38 49.027 W120 01.064

Garmin GPS III+

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

quote:

I can't believe people actually sent AG e-mails or pm'd her. I assure you I wasn't one of them.

~robert

_Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache._

Maybe I'm a jacka@@...Why is it so lame and awful to have sent AG a PM?

I assure you I was one of them.

I saw AG posting on an unrelated forum that I also read. It was such an odd coincidence that I almost couldn't believe it. Just thought it would be interesting to know how she came to be on both of my favorite forums. So I sent her a PM. She seemed absolutely fine with it and even told me to feel free to PM her anytime.

What the H@ll is the big deal with that?!?

quote:
Originally posted by MtnLion:

quote:
Originally posted by mrkablooey:

quote:

~robert

_Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache._

Maybe I'm a jacka@@...Why is it so lame and awful to have sent AG a PM?

I assure you I was one of them.

I saw AG posting on an unrelated forum that I also read. It was such an odd coincidence that I almost couldn't believe it. Just thought it would be interesting to know how she came to be on both of my favorite forums. So I sent her a PM. She seemed absolutely fine with it and even told me to feel free to PM her anytime.

What the H@ll is the big deal with that?!?

I think it matters what the content is. I suspect someone sent her a crude im or e-mail which is why she's probably pissed. Maybe her husband saw it and they got into an arguement! Who knows?

This thread took on it's own life. Others died off like all threads do. So will this one. Left turns are good for forums. They bring out a little personality. "Buy a Garmin GPS V" doesn't leave much room for that.

Still, you posted photo's, on line, accepted a marriage proposal and the like. You flirted, got flirted with and then didn't like it? It's a hard line to walk online. I'm suprised it hasn't come your way before with the other forums you are involved in.

Lesson learned. BrianSnat has an avitar you can borrow. Only slightly used and guranteed to stop all unwelcome advances in it's tracks.

None of this changes that your mom has a cool car.

quote:

I think it matters what the content is. I suspect someone sent her a crude im or e-mail which is why she's probably pissed. Maybe her husband saw it and they got into an arguement! Who knows?

that's where I was heading. while I know the PUBLIC comments were meant to be funny, I can only imagine some of the PRIVATE comments she may have received. if you were just making conversation, then I see nothing wrong with that.

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

I was also among the group who did not PM AG. I am happily married to the most wonderful woman on the planet, my wife (and caching partner) Julia. I hopped briefly on the AG is a sockpuppet bandwagon, but that was more for the purpose of busting Moose's chops. When AG revealed herself to be real, I apologized and have left it at that, just enjoying the thread for what it is/was, a breath of fresh air, and a shot of humor in a sea of "this GPSr is better than that one because..." I was unaware of the dark underbelly of what was going on here. If anyone sent something really crass and offensive to our friend Gigi, I think an apology is in order. AG, if I offended you in anyway, I apologize. Please come back and join us again. Those who care about you as a fellow cacher have your back. At the very least, email me and let me know if I did anything to **** you off.

Matt & Julia

And I thought that I've been involved in some interesting discussions on these boards.

I don't usually read the Getting Started forums but wow, what a bizarre thread. icon_eek.gif

quote:
Renegade Knight wrote:

Still, you posted photo's, on line, accepted a marriage proposal and the like. You flirted, got flirted with and then didn't like it? It's a hard line to walk online. I'm suprised it hasn't come your way before with the other forums you are involved in.

What's the deal Gigi, why the sudden change in attitude, hubby reading your e-mail?

I agree with RK. Seems to me that AuntGiGi encouraged a lot of this and then cowers and pouts when the heat gets turned up (whether it was something in these forums or in a private coorespondence). If it was an offline coorespondence that was disturbing, perhaps you should report it to the proper authorities and/or learn from this experience.

This is one very weird thread. I would recommend that this thread be closed. It's just a little bit creepy.

quote:

This is one very weird thread. I would recommend that this thread be closed. It's just a little bit creepy.

Agreed. Kill this please!!

Agreed, I sent an email to admin/Jeremy to see if they/he will help close or archive the thread.

agreed...things took a very psychotic turn...time to end it...

Matt & Julia

quote:
Originally posted by AuntGiGi:

It was all in good fun, but I am sure it will be my fault yet again, and not the other married members who acted the way they did.

I did not start this nonsense.

I put my avitar up (The same one I use on all sites) and other members started this crap.

"I" cause so much drama, I will not post anymore in here.

We're all grown, but I feel like I am in middle school the way some of these posts have went.

Seems like AuntGigi was out in the bush too long and forget to take her medication! ;-)

quote:
Stunod wrote:

Why close the thread? I was really hoping Gigi would post a copy of the emails she got along with the transcripts of the PM's. That would be entertaining.

Actually, I think you're right. I recant my request to close the thread. Let's take it to an all new level of silliness.

Bring it on, GiGi. Give us the dirt.

quote:
MtnLion wrote:

Must be getting closer to the top record by now huh?

Nobody said anything rude or obnoxious in the posts I read. One or two people proposed to you, boy it's a curse to be born beautiful is'nt it icon_rolleyes.gif

If the attention you receive is getting you in trouble, might I suggest you change your avitar. This cannot be the first time you have had problems with strange guys PM'ing you in hopes that a spark may ignite.

And my last bit of advice would be to stop beating around the bush. I bet two to one that if you had mentioned you were married after the first proposal, this would have never gotten this far.

But I doubt we will hear from you ever again.

Kar

quote:
Lesson learned. BrianSnat has an avitar you can borrow. Only slightly used and guranteed to stop all unwelcome advances in it's tracks.

You mean this one?

Trailerpark3.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
MtnLion wrote:

Must be getting closer to the top record by now huh?

Yeah, this is now the most viewed thread in the history of the Getting Started forum.

It's the second most posted to behind the poll question thread "What's the general age of people who geocache?". Which, still, in my opinion doesn't count.

So, pretty much, yeah, this is the most viewed, most posted to conversational thread in the history of this forum.

We only need 108 more posts to pass the poll question thread as officially "most posted to". Anyone up for the challenge? icon_smile.gif

Would it really count if it's boosted by people posting just trying to get the count up?

107 to go! icon_cool.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

"A noble spirit embiggins the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield

----------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Mushtang:

Would it really count if it's boosted by people posting just trying to get the count up?

107 to go! icon_cool.gif

You know, that's a really good question...I don't know...does anyone else have an opinion?

106 to go! icon_biggrin.gif