Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert_Warrior

Latest Purchase?

Just stirring up more topics in this area. Anybody get anything new lately for ham and/or caching?

Since Desert_Kid (Heidi) got her license - KE5BHT, I have bought the programming cable and software for my ICOM IC-W32A. I am shopping for an second IC-W32A to give to Heidi. This way we can just read my radio, then dump it to hers. May get a similar one for my XYL soon. Then I will be selling a fully loaded Alinco DJ-F1T - if anyone is interested........ E-mail.

I also ordered a new copy of Travel-Plus from the ARRL. This is the program that will give you a list of repeaters for any city on your travel route.

So much for this hamshack - how about yours???

Greetings DW!

Well, lets see here, a Heathkit 4 way antenna switch - the old silver connector type, and a dual antenna switch - MFJ make.

I love buying stuff from hams on eBay! It's nice to deal with honest people.

I'm looking at purchasing a MFJ-269 and have read some reviews.

Does anyone out here have any experience with the MFJ SWR meters? I know this is a bit more than just a SWR meter, but had to ask...

Todd - K7PKT

Just stirring up more topics in this area.  Anybody get anything new lately for ham and/or caching?

Yup.

I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-7800r dual-band mobile transceiver for use at the home station. This is to be my main 2-meter radio, also allowing me to operate 440 from home.

I'll still be using my old radio, an 8-year-old Radio Shack HTX-212, for APRS (callsign W4TQI) as well as for our local slow-scan television net and any other "sound card" modes I want to play around with on VHF.

I've also made a lot of little "pieces parts" purchases in order to construct the PC-to-radio interface for said "sound card" modes.

One word (okay, maybe a few more) about the MFJ equipment: Check it carefully before putting it into service! I admit to owning three pieces of MFJ equipment - two HF antenna tuners and a dummy load - but only because I could not afford better. All three pieces of equipment came to me with major quality control flaws.

The dummy load had a loose screw rattling around inside, as did one of the tuners. Both of these had the potential for lodging somewhere that would short the output of the radio.

In the other tuner, one of the uninsulated flying leads that connects the wafer switch to the inductor was in contact with the body of one of the tuning capacitors - another short which could have destroyed my radio's finals had I put power to it without checking first. This tuner also had a cross-needle meter movement, one of which was stuck when I received it new from the factory.

All I can really say about MFJ is that they make pretty good kits (hi, hi), but as complete products, they leave MUCH to be desired. Open up and check ALL MFJ equipment before connecting your RF gear to it in any way!

I picked up Ham University. Using it to learn code and it has the general, question pool once I'm ready to start that.

I just bought a Rascal. It is a soundcard to radio interface.

Packetradio.com

Neat little gadget. Can buy as a ready made unit or the kit. Got onto the local BBS and am trying to figure out the world of packet now.

Just got a Yaesu 8800 which will be mobile. Would appreciate comments about install to battery versus install to fuse panel.

Will keep using my HT and will probably try to do some cross-band repeat while caching.

Just got a Yaesu 8800 which will be mobile. Would appreciate comments about install to battery versus install to fuse panel.

Will keep using my HT and will probably try to do some cross-band repeat while caching.

Go straight to the battery (the only way to do it and avoid odd noises & glitches and to keep Xmit power where it should be).

I just installed the FT-8900R in the Jeep a couple of weeks ago, and I love it :huh: . Programming it with the PC is a snap; I put in a ton of frequencies based on data from TravelPlus and other sources. Within the next week, I will re-program it with some updated data to include stuff I forgot about the first time around. The radio takes some time to become accustomed to all the features, but that is actually quite easy to accomplish.

The Kenwood TM-741A that was in my Jeep is now in the house and working well, too.

I listen more than I ever talk on the Ham bands. Recently picked up the new Icom R20. It's a handy little receiver that covers about anything I care to listen to. Not too hot an am broadcast band with the internal antenna but performs well on most all other frequencies.

New 76CS has been added as well. I'm now able to view the maps in color as well as know the barometric pressure. Nice features. Now if it could only have radar and be able to route me around traffic !!!

73's to all.

not just yet, but im considering it...

i want either a new palm, a nice color one with bluetooth, im thinking a slightly older tungsten t2. im currently using a visor edge...

or

a new HT, i love my kenwood TH-79A dual band HT, its served me well for 5-6 years now, but i bought a tm-d700a, so im thinking it would be cool to get a th-d7ag to do aprs on the go and maybe play on some mobile packet...however theres also the pocket tracker from byonics...

decisions, decisions, can i really justify any of them?!

Byonics - http://www.byonics.com/pockettracker/

Kenwood/TM-D700a - http://kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=Pro...ID=5017&Group=5

Kenwood/th-d7ag - http://kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=Pro...ID=5018&Group=5

bd_chris - KF6JAX

not just yet, but im considering it...

i want either a new palm, a nice color one with bluetooth, im thinking a slightly older tungsten t2. im currently using a visor edge...

or

a new HT, i love my kenwood TH-79A dual band HT, its served me well for 5-6 years now, but i bought a tm-d700a, so im thinking it would be cool to get a th-d7ag to do aprs on the go and maybe play on some mobile packet...however theres also the pocket tracker from byonics...

decisions, decisions, can i really justify any of them?!

Byonics - http://www.byonics.com/pockettracker/

Kenwood/TM-D700a - http://kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=Pro...ID=5017&Group=5

Kenwood/th-d7ag - http://kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=Pro...ID=5018&Group=5

bd_chris - KF6JAX

to make things a bit easier (or maybe not) the TinyTrak3 can be had used at hamfests for around $20-30

As the conversation has turned towards the pixie tracker, etc. How hard are these to build if you are not very experienced in electronics? These would be good for getting around the need for APRS and the need to use both bands in a skywarn setting.

As the conversation has turned towards the pixie tracker, etc. How hard are these to build if you are not very experienced in electronics? These would be good for getting around the need for APRS and the need to use both bands in a skywarn setting.

Admittedly, I've done a bit of building, but mine went from "packet of parts" to "final checkout" in about 15 minutes. Another 20 or so and I was on the air.

You can download the full instruction manual from the website - actually, you must... it doesn't come with printed instructions.

The whole thing goes together quickly and painlessly (as long as you don't accidentally grab the wrong end of the soldering iron).

I can't complain.

I am sorely tempted by the $399 Icom IC-703 at HRO, but I need to pass my General first.

Code is not my native language! :rolleyes:

I just came from HRO in Sunnyvale. They are having "Icom Days" on Saturday, the 14th, with the following discounts:

$5 off HTs

$10 off mobiles

$25 off bases.

Enjoy!

JoeyBob