Don't Move'm

JohnnyVegas

This is a request of new and some vetran cachers. When you find a cache, please put it back were you found it. I spent part of my cache day today looking for a cache without any luck. Another cacher found it with the lid off and the log missing, they then place it in another location, two big problems with this practice

#1 When loading waypoints with easy GPS the coordinates will not be correct

#2 The cache owner has to maintian His/Hers caches, if you move them that creates a problem re maintaince (This has happened to one of mine)

If it is not your cache, do not move it to another location.

I had a similar thing happen with one of my own caches. I check on it almost every day, because it has already been missing once. After I knew a couple cachers had found it yesterday, I went to check on it and it was not in its original hiding spot. It was a micro which meant that it could have easily rolled onto the ground or been blown away by a strong gust of wind (which is what I think happened to the original cache). Its proper hiding spot lets it be wedged into a tight hiding space where it would be very unlikely that it could be blown away.

I almost posted a note to my cache page about it, but didn't want to embarrass whoever had found it previously and not put it back in its original hiding spot, so I just updated the cache description.

Jim

I don't know what makes people decide to move caches...or leave them out in the open, which is nearly as bad. I've seen log entries from people who moved caches "closer" to the coordinates, moved them to a better hiding spot and even a "better" part of a park.

I had a cache that was moved almost 30 feet. I went back for a maint visit and it was not under the rock where I hid it. I went home to disable it and saw a "found it" log from the day I was there. When the finder described the hiding spot to me, it was an area that I recalled was about 30 feet away...among some thorn bushes that I had purposely avoided. Why?

An even bigger mystery is why people leave the caches exposed. They are hidden a certain way for a reason. Maybe because the owner wants it to be difficult, or to conceal it from muggles. Yet people take the cache from its hiding spot and leave it out. Is it to make it easier for the next finder? Do they think they are so smart and the rest of us are so stupid that we can't find it without their help?

Then there are the people who flag routes to caches, or build cairns next to it, or make arrows out of rocks, or sticks pointing to the cache. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but often enough to make you wonder what goes through these people's heads. :blink:

Then there are the people who flag routes to caches, or build cairns next to it, or make arrows out of rocks, or sticks pointing to the cache. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but often enough to make you wonder what goes through these people's heads. :blink:

THis I have not seen, but I have heard of this happening. Just makes you wonder what some cachers are thinking.

Two big problems with this practice:

#1 When loading waypoints with easy GPS the coordinates will not be correct

#2 The cache owner has to maintian His/Hers caches, if you move them that creates a problem re maintaince (This has happened to one of mine)

If it is not your cache, do not move it to another location.

I agree, it's been happening around here as well. I've been helping to maintain someon'e caches and I'm finding that they are either wide open to view by mugglers, or in a different spot from where the owner had origionally had placed it. :blink: The last micro was a DNF 5-6X's, so I went and checked on it, it was moved about 10 inche and hidden in a more difficult rated spot. :lol:;)

I can only assume, that people forget where they pick it up from, -- just leave a marker -- if it's too hard to remember where it came from, then after placing back the cache, take your marker. I've used my gps, hat or another item to mark the exact spot.

Or they decide to make it easier for others to find it by leaving it exposed!

If they even attempt to read the pages, they state, not to move or leave exposed in any way. I can't figure it out! :lol:

I've even had to re-hunt the area, because things were not placed back where they should have been! Too bad I can't re-log the find because of being in a different spot.

Now I just assume, I'll have to look for them again, as not to ever have found it prior! SF1 ;):):D ps: I usually don't post :D emicolens, this is an exception!

I spent part of my cache day today looking for a cache without any luck. Another cacher found it with the lid off and the log missing, they then place it in another location, two big problems with this practice

I fully agree that people should pay attention to where the cache was and return it to the same spot. This is why our rule is "the person who gets it out of the spot, also puts it back".

However....What you describe sounds more like a case of the cache being muggled and the next cacher "taking a guess" as to where it was supposed to be hidden. I have had one case just like this. I didnt know where it was supposed to be so I hid it in a rating-appropriate place near the coords and emailed the owner with pictures and an explanation.

I spent part of my cache day today looking for a cache without any luck. Another cacher found it with the lid off and the log missing, they then place it in another location, two big problems with this practice

I fully agree that people should pay attention to where the cache was and return it to the same spot. This is why our rule is "the person who gets it out of the spot, also puts it back".

However....What you describe sounds more like a case of the cache being muggled and the next cacher "taking a guess" as to where it was supposed to be hidden. I have had one case just like this. I didnt know where it was supposed to be so I hid it in a rating-appropriate place near the coords and emailed the owner with pictures and an explanation.

No it was not a muggle, it was a cacher, he found the cache muggeld and decided to move it to another location. then the cache owner did not check on it or change the coordinates to reflect the now location. Of course I did not post a DNF, but I did post a note regearding my thoughts.

One of my caches ( Bushwacking with the Beave ) was found out in the open twice. The third time, I contacted the last finder and was assured that he placed it back where it belonged, under the root bole of a live tree. When I went to check on it, it was apparent that a good sized mammal (perhaps a groundhog, or one of the resident beavers) had decided to move in to that hole, and he kept evicting the cache container. The cache was relocated above ground.

I've seen this happen on another cache, where an animal (squirrel, perhaps?) kept ejecting the micro cache from a knot hole in a tree. The point is: it's not always a thoughtless human inconveniencing the cachers.