What's Your Signature Item?

Larry.s

Mine changes frequently but for a while I was using a JMBella magnet in a tiny a ziplock with 2 new AA batteries. They went over really well but they were a little too much work. Now I'm working on a JMB coin attached to a carabiner. I suspect after a while it will suffer the same fate as the mag/batteries.

Here's what turned up after a quick search of "Signature Items":

Sig items in geocaching forums

We have 2 sizes of wooden token, painted and stamped with our team name on one side, and a stamp of our choosing on the other side. The larger ones have an additional stamp in the team logo. These are then sealcoated to prevent the stamps from wearing off. They look rather cool and take some time to make. Plus each one is individualized to color and stamping.

I've been giving out neat old coins that aren't worth anything. You can buy them by the pound. The upside to this is that I have an excuse to buy and play with coins :blink:

Had another idea Saturday, though. I was sitting on the beach with my toes in the sand and I picked up a few little shells. I made a waypoint where I was sitting. And I thought...wouldn't it be cool to put this in a coin envelope and write something like "I picked this up at N 41°32.515 W 071°25.519. Do you know where that is?" I thought kids might enjoy looking it up and seeing the spot on the map.

I'd happily take something like that out of a cache, even if it was an ordinary object like an acorn or a pebble. Just, you know, marking the spot on the earth it was from and passing it on. Of course, the coolness increases in direct proportion to the distance from the coordinates. I think I'll keep these for long trips.

I drop off mini carabiners. In another thread on the forum there was a post with a link where you could get 250 business cards just by paying shipping so I ordered some of those. I now leave the carabiner with a business card attached with my name, date of find, cache find # and TB find number if there's one in the cache that I take.

Zack

For now I'm using Lance Armstron "LiveStrong" wristbands. I gave $1.00 each at his Lance Armstrong Foundation for cancer. The foundation either sold all or are temp out of stock, so Now the wristbands are selling on Ebay for $5.00 and up.

Cant believe what people will try to make a profit on.

If anyone wants one come to Central Il. there are quite a few in local caches.

Bronz

Usually, I sort of combine my trade and sig items. I make business card magnets with my name and picture of either my dog, or my jeep. I put them in plastic bags and include something small like a mini CITO kit or a couple batteries, or maybe a coin or something, whatever I can find...

Right now, we're looking at either carabiner keychains with our name and a pawprint engraved on it, or possibly custom printed rain ponchos with the GC logo... Probably leaning towards the carbainer though, cause we'd use a pawprint for it instead of the GC logo, and we wouldn't have to get authorizatin or whatever...

Edited by TeamK-9

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'm going to use rubber ducks. After all, who doesn't love rubber ducks and what bathtub is complete without one? :blink: I already have some normal sized ones left after trading 3 or 4 already and I have some bids placed on ebay for smaller ones including special police/fireman/etc ones.

ducks.jpg

Hamsters for full-size caches and mice for anything the size of a decon container or smaller. In the winter I will only leave a sig item if I'm traveling to a warm climate, or if it's a new cache that sees a lot of traffic, or if I'm in a bad mood.

Yeah, and I wish you would stop poking breathing holes in the lids of all my caches :blink:

If you feel strongly about this, I suggest that you place the hamster-free symbol on your cache pages, right next to the no pirates symbol. There are others who enjoy this variation on the game, and if you read the official website it says that new variations are encouraged. And since it's published on the internet, it must be true.

I am sorry that you come down at a different point on the continuum between sweet-smelling but damp caches and dry caches that smell like rotting rodents when you open them. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'm going to use rubber ducks. After all, who doesn't love rubber ducks and what bathtub is complete without one? :blink: I already have some normal sized ones left after trading 3 or 4 already and I have some bids placed on ebay for smaller ones including special police/fireman/etc ones.

ducks.jpg

I'm sure the ducks would be a big hit for people that cache with kids. :lol:

What kind of personal information, if any, will you attach to them to make them a signauter larry.s item?

http://www.usageocoins.com

http://www.travelbugraces.com

We give up. We tried engraving shot glasses with our avatar (coolest sig item on the planet - we thought - and then nobody took 'em). We engraved little hand mirrors with our team name. We made magnets... but so did everybody else. We laid out some dough for those "thirsty-stone" coasters with lizards on 'em. More people seem to like the coasters but at $5 a cache, our gas money is rapidly disappearing.

We bought travel packs of Band-Aids and covered the brand (I'm sure that's probably illegal) with a sticker showing our avatar and some pithy slogan like "The Leapin' Lizards cache crew hopes you never really need these." We tried a couple of pewter lizard charms. And we've launched a full-scale, interplanetary search for bandanas with lizards on 'em. (YOU WOULD THINK, wouldn't you, that lizard bandanas would be ridiculously easy to find, twelve for $10, on any one of dozens of Web sites.... nooooooooo, no, my friends. No lizards on bandanas for you, because I'd have to sew 'em, and there are some things I'm not willing to do, even for lovely critters like you.)

:o Grump. Grump. Grump.