The Great Mctoy Debate

5¢

About 1 in every 5 threads ends up bashing Mctoys aka Mccrap. As I just traded for a beautiful Mcdonalds eraser, limited edition I think it has ronalds own picture on it, I realized something. Most of us cache alone but some cache with a team. We have been looking at this Mctoy debate all wrong. There must be a Mcdonalds team and we have been passing up the sig items of the biggest team in geocaching. I wish I could go back to all the caches I ever visited because all these sig item would look really good in my geocaching collection.

About 1 in every 5 threads ends up bashing Mctoys aka Mccrap. As I just traded for a beautiful Mcdonalds eraser, limited edition I think it has ronalds own picture on it, I realized something. Most of us cache alone but some cache with a team. We have been looking at this Mctoy debate all wrong. There must be a Mcdonalds team and we have been passing up the sig items of the biggest team in geocaching. I wish I could go back to all the caches I ever visited because all these sig item would look really good in my geocaching collection.

First of all, I disaggree with your "1 in 5 threads" statistic. :(

But I do have to agree that there are some awesome McToys, like those 101 Dalmation toys they put out when the movie came out, and the mini beanie babies...

1 out of 5 was concervative after counting every thread and dividing it by how many have the word mcsomething it is actually 1 out of 4.25 rounded to the second decimal place. I just talked to Jared from subway and we are starting a subway team, after all it should only take half the time the Mcdonalds team gets heavier by the day, with Jared as our leader we will be getting skinnier and be able to get to more caches quicker. :(

You know, I know everyone hates McToys, but just remember - they're not being put in a cache for the adults that are off finding the caches and signing logs without trade. They're being put in there for the children who want to trade and are caching with the adults that are off finding the caches and signing the logs without trade....

I'm just thankful that there's not an Arby's Caching team - their kids meal toys are either cool or completely crappy - there's not an in between.

I don't like a broken McToy but even unwrapped ones are okay, Especially if you can find some of the old toys that are now collectibles.

REmember the Muppet Babies set? I keep an eye on the miscellaneous bags at the local Goodwill for those.

You know, I know everyone hates McToys, but just remember - they're not being put in a cache for the adults that are off finding the caches and signing logs without trade.  They're being put in there for the children who want to trade....

Thank you!

Believe me, there is nothing worse than being in the woods, on a hot, humid day, having been attacked by mosquitos, gnats, strawberry flies and ticks and then having to explain to 3 hot, thirsty, tired kids that there is nothing in the cache they would be interested in.

You know, I know everyone hates McToys, but just remember - they're not being put in a cache for the adults that are off finding the caches and signing logs without trade.  They're being put in there for the children who want to trade....

Thank you!

Believe me, there is nothing worse than being in the woods, on a hot, humid day, having been attacked by mosquitos, gnats, strawberry flies and ticks and then having to explain to 3 hot, thirsty, tired kids that there is nothing in the cache they would be interested in.

You're very much welcome!

I'm about to take my sister and her soon to be stepsons out caching and show them what it's about, so I've got everything crossed that there'll be something in there that will attract them to the sport. (They really need to do something other than sitting on their hineys with a Game Boy) The oldest one might not want to find a McToy, but the youngest one is 7 (i think) and so he might enjoy it still.

Thank you!

I'm about to take my sister and her soon to be stepsons out caching and show them what it's about, so I've got everything crossed that there'll be something in there that will attract them to the sport. (They really need to do something other than sitting on their hineys with a Game Boy) The oldest one might not want to find a McToy, but the youngest one is 7 (i think) and so he might enjoy it still.

Yes, kids are happy to trade for a new, unbroken McToy. Even after 1,000 caches, Little Lep will trade for one if it catches her eye.

A tip for caching with young kids: Carry a few extra trade items in your pack. As you approach ground zero, pull out these "safety trades" and hide them in your hand or an outside pocket. When the cache is found, explain that the grownup has to open the container (this is a good idea in any event). In three seconds, you can tell if there aren't any cool trade items. If that's the case, drop your emergency items into the cache.

Thank you!

Yes, kids are happy to trade for a new, unbroken McToy. Even after 1,000 caches, Little Lep will trade for one if it catches her eye.

A tip for caching with young kids: Carry a few extra trade items in your pack. As you approach ground zero, pull out these "safety trades" and hide them in your hand or an outside pocket. When the cache is found, explain that the grownup has to open the container (this is a good idea in any event). In three seconds, you can tell if there aren't any cool trade items. If that's the case, drop your emergency items into the cache.

Dang, I wanna go caching with you!! What a nice daddy!!!! :blink:

Okay so I haven't made it to the cache that had the Leatherman Tool knife in it, like i really need a nother knife. Or the member's only outdoor gear cache that contained junk by the time I got to it. But the toys are wonder prizes for my son and daughters. It is enought to sign the log book but the kids want booty. They will drop the whistle, compass etc.... on the ground to grab a grubby piece of plastic, /sigh. Ol well I am greatful for the toys for it will keep the kids interested.

cheers

If you've got kids, then you've most likely already got all the stupid McToys you could ever need. My daughter doesn't find one that she doesn't already have very often. Not that we eat there all that much, but my family and friends that eat there save them for her when they come to visit.

or solo army man

Or the plastic horse with two broken legs... although my niece *really likes* horses and would have taken it in trade immediately.

I've been trying to leave "kid friendly" loot whenever I find a cache (only found less than 10 so far).

I've seen some neat 'wallet kits' that are made by the Tandy leather company. You can get 8 in a package for $20 or so. I plan on getting some of those for the camping area/state park caches. Something that will occupy the little ones for a while after the cache has been found.

I've got a stash of comic books (like 'the farside' and 'garfield', etc.) that fit neatly into the typical tupperware container, maybe I'll leave some of those too.

Edited by Zoptrop

We usually cache with Hetland Zookeepers and their 2-year-old daughter. Let me tell you how delighted both mother and daughter were this weekend when finding toys for trade in the cache. Granted, it was not a McDonald's toy, but I know one would have been welcome. You know those multi-paks of plastic dinosaurs, horses, etc that you can get at Wal-Mart? That's what the 2-year-old is interested in right now, but she loves McDonald's toys too. They litter the car!

OK, no more McToys. Yesterday my youngest wanted to leave a beer bottle cap he thought was cool. It's all relative I guess  :o

:o Umm.....how'd he like the beer? :o

We wanted to take a picture one day but figured child welfare would be after us... My best friend had drunk a beer, and the bottle was sitting empty on the couchside table.. 2 year old son gets it, walks around carrying it, won't let go of it... Climbs up in the recliner and passes out asleep with his thumb in the bottle.

Perhaps he tasted the beer for mini roveron?

A tip for caching with young kids:  Carry a few extra trade items in your pack.  As you approach ground zero, pull out these "safety trades" and hide them in your hand or an outside pocket. When the cache is found, explain that the grownup has to open the container (this is a good idea in any event).  In three seconds, you can tell if there aren't any cool trade items.  If that's the case, drop your emergency items into the cache.

We've done something similar on a few occasions! Except we just hand over our swag bag and tell 'em to pick something out of it. We don't even attempt to pretend it came from the cache (the oldest 2 are just too smart for that!)

Our Chicks are interested in all kinds of toys, dollar store stuff, carabiners and flashlights (it doesn't even matter if something is broken). It really is a rare occurrence for the kids not to find something they like. Before we do a micro, we warn them first (and usually end up handing over the swag bag to mollify them) or promise that the next cache will be a regular one.

McToys and other assorted kids stuff are important. It makes kids feel like they are a part of something. Mine don't look for caches online, plug in coordinates, handle the GPS, find the trail or enjoy the hunt (very much). Being able to make the trade is what they get to do. They get to pick and choose what they want and what they leave. When you take that away from them, they lose interest pretty quickly.

OK, no more McToys. Yesterday my youngest wanted to leave a beer bottle cap he thought was cool. It's all relative I guess  :D

<_< Umm.....how'd he like the beer? :blink:

We wanted to take a picture one day but figured child welfare would be after us... My best friend had drunk a beer, and the bottle was sitting empty on the couchside table.. 2 year old son gets it, walks around carrying it, won't let go of it... Climbs up in the recliner and passes out asleep with his thumb in the bottle.

Now with digital cameras, you don't have to worry about the film developers calling child welfare. When my oldest was about two, he loved to crawl into the cat's travel box and pull the wire door shut. We thought he looked hilarious in it and I took a picture. My wife got all nervous and pulled the roll of film out. :o

I'm of the philosophy that if you tell kids how bad something is and forbid them to take part, as soon as they are out of sight, they will do it anyway. If it isn't something that will really hurt them, I try to let them experience it themselves with me present. So if they ask, they can have a sip of my beer or wine. One sip, just to taste. So far the reaction is "Ewwww". But I do explain to them that more than that isn't good for children, and they accept it and don't question why I drink it when they can't.

And no, that was my beer he had the bottle cap from. :D

By the way, I told him he couldn't leave a bottle cap. :D

Edited by roveron
OK, no more McToys. Yesterday my youngest wanted to leave a beer bottle cap he thought was cool. It's all relative I guess  :D

<_< Umm.....how'd he like the beer? :blink:

Now with digital cameras, you don't have to worry about the film developers calling child welfare. When my oldest was about two, he loved to crawl into the cat's travel box and pull the wire door shut. We thought he looked hilarious in it and I took a picture. My wife got all nervous and pulled the roll of film out. :o

I'm of the philosophy that if you tell kids how bad something is and forbid them to take part, as soon as they are out of sight, they will do it anyway. If it isn't something that will really hurt them, I try to let them experience it themselves with me present. So if they ask, they can have a sip of my beer or wine. One sip, just to taste. So far the reaction is "Ewwww". But I do explain to them that more than that isn't good for children, and they accept it and don't question why I drink it when they can't.

And no, that was my beer he had the bottle cap from. :D

By the way, I told him he couldn't leave a bottle cap. :D

Good teaching!! Also good that you explained that a bottle cap isn't a good trade. I was beginning to wonder if you'd been around this area, judging from the number of bottlecaps I find in caches. :D