Calgary

Larry.s

Cool. I just stashed another one today and it's waiting approval. I hope it will be up to par. I'm still pretty new at this and my first three were pretty easy to find although I did want the Kidding Around one to be kid friendly and easy.

After stashing the one today we went out and found the Officer TB in a cache in the SW. I knew what it's goal was so the wife and I decided to have a little fun and went to the District 3 police station to get some photos. It was closed for the holiday but we did find one obliging officer there.

Hey.. while all of the Calgary cachers are looking.. I am going to be flying into Calgary on August 15th and wondered if there were a few decent quick caches to do in and around the airport to do before we depart for Banff?? We are headed to Banff on our Honeymoon, and naturally expect to geocache the entire week!! haha!

Yesterday, my friend and I went looking for the haunted woods cache and were unsecsesfull. Is it just because it was getting dark or did somone snatch it? B)

It would be best to look for this one in the light. It look like it is hidden very "soldly" but it only look that way and I found it slightly west of the cords.

Hey there all you Calgary and southern Alberta cachers. I've got a small favor I need to ask of just one of you. You see, I have this little cache called "VB2" down in the Lethbridge area and on July 10 I placed in it a small box with pirate flags all over it with a note inside which will lead the finder on a mini multi hunt to pirate treasure. Things have been kind of slow at my cache this summer and only three people (only one logged on the cache page) have visited since then and none of them has gone after the pirate treasure, instead opting for the usual stuff in the cache, don't ask me why.

Anywho, if you are going to be in the Lethbridge area this weekend, maybe you could come around for the Air Show even, please feel free to stop by my cache and do a little pirate treasure hunt.

P.S. This particular pirate treasure I have not mentioned on the cache page as I am hoping someone who has not been to it yet will find it.

Hey.. while all of the Calgary cachers are looking.. I am going to be flying into Calgary on August 15th and wondered if there were a few decent quick caches to do in and around the airport to do before we depart for Banff??  We are headed to Banff on our Honeymoon, and naturally expect to geocache the entire week!! haha!

Depending on how much time you have you may want to check out these :

Clipper's Coulee

N 51° 07.901 W 114° 03.373

Waypoint: GCC6AF

Company's Leaving 28

N 51° 07.834 W 114° 02.978

Waypoint: GC62B1

On The Nose Too, Great Openings

N 51° 07.809 W 114° 02.918

Waypoint: GCH30N

They're all about 1/2 km from each other and about a 10 minute drive

from the airport. Should take you no more than an hour to find all three.

I'd recommend that you do them in the order listed above, but least do

"On The Nose Too, Great Openings" last.

Any Calgary cachers frequent this board?

I know I'm a bit late responding to this, but I have been out of the city for most of the month.

I frequent this group, and always check the Canada section first. However, as you can see from the number of posts I have, I don't usually have much to say. :P

It's easy to see who the active cachers are in the area as their names seem to appear in all the local logs.

I think my favourite cache so far was Fairview Mountain by reastick. Would anyone else like to add their favourite cache in the general area?

Chris.

Edited by Dog Knows

Well.. We did our Calgary trip with huge success, and enjoyed every last minute of it! You Albertans are sure hospitable!!

We got to do the caches in the immediate Airport vicinity "On Final 28" and "Layover". "Its a Guy Thing" appeared to be missing when we strolled through.

also cleaned up most of the Banff area caches minus a few. We were thrilled to have the time we did!

One quickie question.. When we found "Layover" we also found another box with some small envelopes in it. We didn't take one as we had no idea what they were for. Holding the envelopes up to the light we saw that they were regular playing cards. Can someone enlighten me as to what kind of fun you are having and not telling us!! :lol:

Wondering if anyone was interesting in hitting "Toys Galore" cache. This one requires 4WD, I have a Jeep TJ and could take 2 other people. I would like to do it but dont like 4x4ing alone. (need suckers to push just in case, lol kidding) If anyone is up for it let me know!!!

XRN95 (Dan)

Wondering if anyone was interesting in hitting "Toys Galore" cache.  This one requires 4WD, I have a Jeep TJ and could take 2 other people.  I would like to do it but dont like 4x4ing alone.  (need suckers to push just in case, lol kidding)  If anyone is up for it let me know!!!

XRN95 (Dan)

When are you planning on going? What's the waypoint name?

XRN95, you should have no trouble getting to Toys Galore in your Jeep TJ. I made it all the way to the site in a full-size GMC crewcab. I went via the road from the Bar C Ranch to the bottom of the big hill to gain the Ghost river valley. An easy, although time consuming drive due to rough roads. The other approach that heads west up the Ghost River, involves several river crossings, and definitely requires a companion for safety reasons.

You should try to find Devil's Gap while you are in the area. It is an easy 5 Km hike from the trailhead which is located west of Toys Galore. It is a beautiful hike through a wide valley bordered by high cliffs on either side. If you are interested, I can send you the track I recorded on Mapsource Topo.

Edited by Dog Knows

If anyone is interested in how the Toys Galore adventure turned out... it was a gang-caching by a party of 9. Great fun. We also found one of OFTH's Brass Cap caches along the way. Logs can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

This is my favorite picture of the ones posted from the adventure:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/cache/log/96442...406b9f0cf9f.jpg

Heading for California for a short trip.

From Nov. 18-22. I plan on doing a little geocaching in the LAX area before I head to Bakersfield for a couple of days of relative visiting, where I'll do some more geocaching.

If anyone has some travel bugs that they'd like me to take with me, let me know.

New site. Check it out. :D

Calgary Area Cachers Home Page.

Herein you will find various resources, articles, tips, opinions, helpful aids, etc, etc, related to the sport of Geocaching within the Calgary area. At present the page is still under development so changes are imminent and pieces will be added, rearranged, subtracted, changed or just generally fooled with on a regular basis.

Looking for a backup GPSr ...

... while I send my Garmin 76c in for some warranty work ( I need a new seal, doh! ).

Does anyone have a spare GPSr hanging around that they'd like to part with?

I'm looking for a Garmin, something that I can add waypoints via GSAK ( guess I can live without maps for a few weeks, humph ).

I don't want to spend too much, $200 max. If I need to spend more than that then I'll pop for a 60cs. Then which one would be the backup? I'd love to be in that position, what a dilemma!

Man, I want a 60cs so bad, even if my 76c has more map storage. It' such a cool-looking GPSr ... hmmm, Christmas is coming and shucks, I've had my 76c for almost four months now. And I AM buying my wife the Foretrex 201 for Christmas. Hmmm ... Karen, can I ...? Na, probably won't work.

Anyway, let me know what you're willing to part with and for how much - just contact me via geocaching.com or by my e-mail address directly if you know it.

Thanks folks. Off for WP #3 of Triangles in the Park - that's all I have time for tonight! Boo hoo! I did "Hockey Booty" in the dark last night ... yikes, what a walk down! Guess it's better than trying "The Boss" in the dark!!!

See ya!

Nicolo

I have a spare GPSr here right now. I just won it on eBay and was intending to give it as a gift to someone, but have changed strategies and now will be looking to sell it or give it to someone else. In the meantime, you are welcome to borrow it. It is an old Garmin 45 (8 channel reception only), but is in great condition. I live in Huntington Hills. Let me know.

Miles/.. :lol:

Nicolo

I have a spare GPSr here right now. ...

. I live in Huntington Hills. Let me know.

Miles/.. :lol:

Thanks for the offer Miles. I need a day or two to think about this because I'm dying to buy a 60cs and I'm in the throes of indecision : buy, borrow, buy, borrow. It's killing me!!!

I just hope that I can sleep tonight!

Thanks.

p.s. I didn't know that you live there! I lived in Huntington hills from 1988 until a couple of years ago when I moved to Panorama Hills ... we're neighbors!

I have a spare GPSr here right now ... Let me know.

Thanks Miles,

I lost some sleep but decided to buy a "backup" GPSr today ... the beloved 60cs!!

I haven't had much time to play with it yet but, as expected, it's very similar to my 70c, looks like the exact interface.

I lost some sleep but decided to buy a "backup" GPSr today ... the beloved 60cs!!

Ahhh excuses excuses. Gotta love em'. I just got a 60CS myself. Erwin chewed the rubber off the old legend, and the buttons on the side weren't really pressable anymore (without great effort), so off to spend way too much money on a new unit. Have you got the free street level Calgary map yet? Its pretty good, but not well layered (have to be zoomed right in to see anything), and a bit out of date, but what do you expect for free?

Played any of the games yet? I was goofing around with Gekoids last night, kind of fun.

...Have you got the free street level Calgary map yet? Its pretty good, but not well layered (have to be zoomed right in to see anything), and a bit out of date, but what do you expect for free?

Played any of the games yet? I was goofing around with Gekoids last night, kind of fun.

I bought "City Select North America" when I bought my 70c so I just had to unlock the map with my 60cs and, bingo, in it went.

I also bought TOPO Canada to celebrate my 200th cache find a while ago. I haven't really utilized it yet very much, maybe tomorrow when I either head west of Millarville for a few caches or around the Elbow Falls area for several. Probably be around Elbow Falls since I'm guessing the cell reception is better than west of Millarville, where it probably doesn't exist ( I'm carrying our support phone this week, ugh! ).

I've been jealous of the 60c(s) owners since I saw XRN95's when a group of us went to the Toys Galore trip but had been concerned about map storage capacity. Then the night before I bought the 60cs I played around with maps and found that as long as I just carry maps for the area that I'm currently in, then there's enough space on the 60cs. That clinched it for me!

I've only used it for BCP165 but that hardly counts - that brass cap is at the top of a little hill and the surveyor post is visible from far away.

A good test will be your "Puppy is Sleeping" this Sunday, since I DNF'd there earlier.