Gsak

mrsr71

While GSAK is not currently Garmin USB compatible (because GPSBabel, which underlies GSAK for communication to the GPSr isn't, but it is in work), it will export to MapSource from which you can upload to the GPSr. It works very well, at least until they release the Garmin USB update to CSAK/GPSBable.

BTW, there is a thread on this forum specifically for questions concerning GSAK which is monitored by the creator of GSAK, Clyde, see

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=75879

Cache Well

Edited by LordSaw
No, it's not USB compatible yet. But you can get a serial cable for the 60CS which will let you use GSAK to send the waypoints.

I don't understand why anyone would want to do this...

All you have to do is export your GSAK waypoints as a MapSource file, open the file in MapSource (by double clicking on the resulting file or by having GSAK open it automatically), and then send the waypoints to your GPSr via the USB port.

This is very easy to do and much faster than using a serial cable (and cheeper too since the USB cable and the MapSource software comes free with your GPSr).

Edited by TheOfficeMaven
  I don't understand why anyone would want to do this...

All you have to do is export your GSAK waypoints as a MapSource file, open the file in MapSource (by double clicking on the resulting file or by having GSAK open it automatically), and then send the waypoints to your GPSr via the USB port.

This is very easy to do and much faster than using a serial cable (and cheeper too since the USB cable and the MapSource software comes free with your GPSr).

This is exactly what I've done and it works perfectly. The question that I now have is: how do I configure GSAK to show the descriptions of the cache :(

MRSR71

The question that I now have is: how do I configure GSAK to show the descriptions of the cache :blink:

Which description are you referring to? The description on the cache page? Try hitting the F2 key and that will put GSAK into Split Screen mode. The bottom portion (you can adjust how much the bottom takes up) is an offline view of the cache page. Is that what you're looking for?

David

After you click on the "Mapsource File Generator" icon at the top of the GSAK window, (or whatever it's called) you get a window that lets you determine which icons will show for each type of cache, or whatever. The lower right part of this window allows you to customize the waypoint name and the description fields however you like. Click on HELP and it will give you the codes for each bit of info you may wish to have in that field. I have mine set up to include the FULL name of the cache, the GCXXXX waypoint name, (for easier searching in CacheMate) and the type of container, as well as the cache type. You can also set it to show terrain/difficulty ratings, which I have used in the past. I use the "smart name" for the waypoint name screen...I tried using the GCXXXX code, but I find the smart name conveys more information at a glance. Regarding the up load via mapsource...I recommend generating the MPS file and using your USB to load them. Besides being FASTER, it allows you to see all the caches in the file on a map. You gotta love that USB connection, esp when you are cramming 1000 cahes into a GPS. I think mine takes about 8 seconds. Sick, sick sick. :o

Let me take this opportunity to also say how much I LOVE this program. It is incredible to me the amount of work that must have gone into this. Knowing now what I do, I would gladly pay for this software. I can't believe how easy it is now to manage the waypoints. I get a new ZIP file from GC.com query generator each day, and if there are any new caches in my entire state, I know about them. Each week I get an updated ZIP of ALL the caches in my state, so that if any go archived or inactive, I know about that too. I can search by virtually ANY criteria I wish, and set it up so that my GPS holds any information I want. After a cache hunt, I just check the ones I have found, and everything else is automatic. It also makes my PDA files unbelievably easy to maintain. I have over 3000 caches in my PDA right now, and with the expandable memory, I can hold much more. Sure has come a long way since I used to copy and paste each new cache page into my Memo Pad, as well as copying and pasting each set of coordinates into Mapsend. I can now load 1000 caches at a time right into my 60CS, and it takes just moments to update it. This is the best waypoint manager I have seen, bar none, and I just would love to shake the hand of the person who was good enough to put it together. Thanks heaps! People like you are what makes this sport so great.