Annoying Logs

Curious to know how you folks deal with annoying cache page logs. For example, a new cacher who apparently believes your cache was placed specifically for them, and should therefore adhere to their own ideas of what a cache should be, and what info the cache page should contain. Then when it doesn't match their pre-conceived ideas, posting an annoying critical log along with their DNF.

I'm not even talking about the folks that assume the cache isn't there or the coords must be waaay off when they search their own GPS GZ for a few minutes and can't turn up the cache. Thats a separate topic, and not necessarily flagrant to me, since it doesn't really mean they're being critical or have some sort of attitude, they're most likely just a new cacher going through growing pains. I'm talking about the first notion I mentioned.

Maybe its this god-awful heat tonight, but the nerve of it gets me hot. I remember when I was a new cacher (I found my first a few years ago now). I assumed if I didn't find a cache I must have done something wrong. I enjoyed the different varieties of caches and didn't expect them to have all the same makeup and give the same information, and was certainly not critical of someone's own ideas. I appreciated the fact that the cache was there for me to find in the first place.

What do you folks think?

Agreed, I definitely had no intention of removing the log. I was going to send a unicast mail, kindly explaining the "different strokes ..." theory, even though its probably fruitless. I'm actually in a unique position to easily FTF the first cache just approved by said user. I of course have no intention of returning the "favor", but thought it interesting the opportunity presented itself. I'm sure my log will be simple and apathetic.

Maybe post a follow-up note on the cache page briefly addressing the issues other cachers might be concerned with. Though I don't feel complaining in a log is appropriate (and I've only done it once on a cache I thought was inappropriately placed) if the cacher had issues you might want to respond, as they did, publicly for all to see.

I'd just send them a nice email (privately). Being new, they may not know some of the conventions (ie. be nice to cache hiders or there'd be no sport!). :(

Worst case - they ignore your email, but you just might find you get back a nice response (and they'll edit their log) once they realize the faux paux. I wouldn't debate any issues in the cache log - it's not really worth it. Sitting behind a keyboard, some folks forget their manners (since some folks who seem particularly nasty online seem to be the same people who are nice as pie when you meet them in person).

Besides, all the different personalities and perspectives are what makes this game so much fun!

Edited by HartClimbs

I did end up sending an email. As for addressing the log, in the log, I highly doubt any avid cacher would be deterred as it stands. Although my strong affinity for sarcasm is really pressing me to add something to the effect of " You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. I better archive this before I offend anyone else ".

Really the whole thing caught me off-guard since everyone else praised the chosen hiding spot. Far too often in this world, we let a few negatives overpower all the positives, sort of like how a bit of mold will take over a whole loaf of good bread. </end weird yet thoughtful rant>.

The guy is newbie and newbies often do have ideas on what they think a cache should be.

To be honest I find it amusing when they complain the coordinates were off by 20', or when they are frustrated for trying to find a cache I've rated 3.5 stars for find difficulty (I email them and tell them that is is a hard cache...)

This guy may tone it down and be one the the ones that tells it like it is, which is useful to a cache owner. "Log is soggy, ground is muddy, 2' deep, and the bridge in is out."

My guess is that someone who is that disgusted after only 2 dozen cache hunts, won't be around very long anyway. I've found a few of your caches and plan on going after that one as soon as I get to the neighborhood. Try not to let it get you down and just keep on hiding them. :(

There's not much you can do about newbie posts. Probably just fustration. I get all kinds of nasty logs (and e-mails) conerning some of my more 'creatively' placed caches where people are expecting a quick drive up... not going to happen!

I usually send a polite email stating the reason for not giving the whole container identification etc. away because it may be something different and giving too much away ruins the fun. Although the ammo can hidden in a crevass... Hint: under a rock... is always a good approach!

We have a cacher around here that hates micros, and yet he continues to do them and posts annoying notes about how he hates them. He especially hates my camouflaged caches, but he keeps on looking for them, knowing full well who placed it. I think he does it because it feels so good when he stops, I don't know! But he wrote in my log book on a cache that everyone seems to like "I hate these Bast***s!!!" I saw that and went back and got a sharpie marker and edited his physical log, and wrote "No swearing in log books allowed!" I grit my teeth with him, because he's a member of our caching community and shows up at every event and alway tries to beat certain others to FTF. His caches are confusing multis, one is a three GC# multi, that should be all on one page, and yet my logs on his caches are more funny haha, than "I hate these!!!" It bothers me that he writes insulting logs, but I leave them. He does it on other's caches too, and some will come out with a "unicast" log stating as mentions, different strokes for different folks. As long as he isn't giving away too much info about the hide, or swearing in logs on my caches his logs can stay, the first foul word out of his keyboard and I'm going to delete it, and tell him he can re-log when he can keep it family friendly. Funny thing is he placed a camouflaged cache, which I got FTF on, and thought of me when he made the camo. He pulled up behind me as I was getting in my car afterwards and we had a laugh about it. So maybe he really just likes saying he hates them and really, in fact, enjoys them.

Spray him with cheap cologne and send him into find Ruins of Heyerdahl with no deet. The mosquitoes will have him for lunch then carry him away to their mosquito HQ to share him with the others. That'll teach em.

Seriously, I would just chalk it up to him being a n00b for now. If he continues with logs like that it won't be long before someone blasts him. It could be worse, he could have pulled the old "protest non-log". :( Those really hurt. :D:D

Email him and tell him how dare he post such a log on your cache page, that you are extremely offended and that if he doesn't change it, you're going to hunt him down and beat him with a big stick.

Just kidding. :(

I'd permanently encrypt the log, that way only you can encrypt it to read it unless someone wants to hand decode it (i doubt it). Geocaching is fun, no one wants to read someone's whine. They could have at least taken the good parts of their caching adventure and made up a story to entertain the rest of us. :D

Good ideas all around, can I borrow your "Ramble" cologne JM?

I'll probably leave the log as is, sort of like free advertisement.

No problem, you want my pink panties too? :blink:

edit: Geez, there is really something wrong with me tonight.

Edited by JMBella

Hmm. After reading the posts in this thread, I was expecting the log entry to be pretty bad.

But after reading it, I don't see where it is that bad. They couldn't find it, and basically asked for some more info to help them narrow down their search.

If this was a log for a cache I owned, I don't think I would take it to heart. Just my .02

Hmm. After reading the posts in this thread, I was expecting the log entry to be pretty bad.

Well he left an ok DNF for another of my caches the same day, but the one I'm speaking of, the way I read it, he's telling me I should have placed a larger container (even though he doesn't even know what or where mine is), should have left clues (and he goes as far to suggest specific ones which make no sense), and should have described the container (which in this case wouldn't mean much to most people), all things I didn't do on purpose. Then complains that he doesn't want to get his hands dirty searching.

Personally I wouldn't publicly criticize someone's cache choice or what information they chose to impart. Even if I only had questions after a DNF, I would privately email the owner with said questions. But hey, thats just me, I could be wrong. :lol:

No problem, you want my pink panties too?

Scary. :blink: