Geocashing Apparel

Don't know if it's been suggested or discussed (probably has). But my wife and I just got into Geocaching and we purchased two perfectly suitable safari vests for our Geocaching adventures. They come with dozens of pockets to hold everything from bug dope, to our GPS, to water bottles, to "booty stash" (for dropping off or from other caches) etc. They really work GREAT. Just thought I'd mention our discovery. We bought ours from vestmate.com (less than 40 bucks and they are extremely well made). I would highly recommend them to any geocachers as the perfect apparel when hunting down those caches. We're 17 for 17 so far and always having a GREAT time. :anitongue:

Robb & Mary

Northern Minnesota

Don't know if it's been suggested or discussed (probably has). But my wife and I just got into Geocaching and we purchased two perfectly suitable safari vests for our Geocaching adventures. They come with dozens of pockets to hold everything from bug dope, to our GPS, to water bottles, to "booty stash" (for dropping off or from other caches) etc. They really work GREAT. Just thought I'd mention our discovery. We bought ours from vestmate.com (less than 40 bucks and they are extremely well made). I would highly recommend them to any geocachers as the perfect apparel when hunting down those caches. We're 17 for 17 so far and always having a GREAT time. :anitongue:

Robb & Mary

Northern Minnesota

A lot of people seem to use photographers vests and other similar vests for carrying their gear. I prefer my daypack, or if I don't have a lot to carry, I just stuff whatever I need in my pockets.

I do know however that Groundspeak/Sunrise Identity is currently working on getting some kind of blaze orange vests made, possibly embroidered with the GC.com logo and possibly with pockets. There's not much information about them, but it was suggested, and Jeremy said that they're working on it, and it's on a list of about 15 new products that they'll be putting out in the future...

Love mine, tho I don't use it when it's hotter than 80* out. Here's a link to a great vest, and it's only $39!

Vestmate

the vestmate people are really nice and easy to deal with and also very appreciative of your business -

got my receipt with a hand written note on their business card "Thank you"

great vest too -

:anitongue:

Edited by CompuCash

Love my vest for doing parks and urban caches where the hike is too short or not difficult to warrant wearing my pack. It is also a great place to sew those interesting and geo related patches that I find in caches along with pins! It holds everything that I need and of course I wear cargo shorts that have more pockets and room for more trade items!

Darkmoon

I have considered getting a safari vest...many pockets...very marsupial...I like. The problem is that there are many caches here in the DC/Northern VA area that require a good amount of stealth. Walking around with one of those things on you will only draw eyeballs towards you. People might even point! I shiver at the thought. I think internal pockets are the better way to go.

I use a military surplus chest harness out in the woods. It's really comfortable to wear, and it has various pouches and places to strap any number of things -- GPS, survival gear, trade items, etc. The hip belt has more pouches, including a larger fanny-pack style one that is great for a jacket and other extra clothing. The whole system is modular -- I can add and removes pouches as I need them.

It cost me about $60 CAD ( ~$45 USD) at the local surplus dealer.

Granted, I wouldn't take it to the local park, but then again, the local park doesn't have any geocaches. <_<

Regards,

Anthony

I have considered getting a safari vest...many pockets...very marsupial...I like. The problem is that there are many caches here in the DC/Northern VA area that require a good amount of stealth. Walking around with one of those things on you will only draw eyeballs towards you. People might even point! I shiver at the thought. I think internal pockets are the better way to go.

Too bad you don't live in Washington State. No one would notice you in a vest. In fact, you would tend to fit right in. :huh:

I use a belt-pack that also came with two pouches for water bottles, and the bottles. The pack has two compartments that hold pretty much whatever I need to carry. $20 at Wal-Mart. I have been thinking about a vest, though.

I do know however that Groundspeak/Sunrise Identity is currently working on getting some kind of blaze orange vests made, possibly embroidered with the GC.com logo and possibly with pockets. There's not much information about them, but it was suggested, and Jeremy said that they're working on it, and it's on a list of about 15 new products that they'll be putting out in the future...

Blaze orange??? Now that would get you noticed. Someone may take you for a hunter and shoot you! :rolleyes: