Gay Cruising Areas

ka3mgh

<<SNIP>>

Where is gay cruising illegal?

Thsi statement alone makes me think you misunderstood the point. Gay "Cruising" is about looking for and having sex in a public place. That is an illegal act. Cruising is not about a place that gay men go to meet and make small talk with each other.

I equate this to placing a cache on 22nd street and 10th ave. Hookers openly work there at all hours of the day. Morning, noon and night. It's something you have to point out to the cache hider and anyone that may hunt this cache.

<<SNIP>>

Thsi statement alone makes me think you misunderstood the point. Gay "Cruising" is about looking for and having sex in a public place. That is an illegal act. Cruising is not about a place that gay men go to meet and make small talk with each other.

I equate this to placing a cache on 22nd street and 10th ave. Hookers openly work there at all hours of the day. Morning, noon and night. It's something you have to point out to the cache hider and anyone that may hunt this cache.

I have to admit I didn't necessarily think gay cruising meant it was always about doin the bangy bangy in the park. I thought the gay cruising part in and of itself was just guys cruising into parking areas to hook up. The bangy bangy in the park was the illegal part that followed. I thought of them as two separate things. That being the case I would have to say gay cruising is illegal.

cruise:v. 3 a : to search in (a public place) for a sexual partner b : to approach and suggest sexual relations to

Now that I read that definition I'm still not sure.

Searching for a sexual partner isn't illegal. To approach someone and suggest sexual relations could be sexual harassment. That's illegal.

Edited by JMBella
If you're a homophobe or intolerant, then I'm sure you'll find a reason to mention it, or take pictures, or write down license plate numbers.....

Not a homophobe here, but if writing down license plate numbers and reporting criminal activity to the police is considered intolerant, then I'm intolerant.

Intolerance isn't a bad thing, although in today's society, it sure seems to be. Why should I be asked to tolerate something I believe is wrong? And we're talking about the activity here being criminal, and it is, regardless of the gender of the participants - lewdness and public sex is against the law. We don't tolerate murder, theft, kidnapping, why should we tolerate people getting their jollies in a public park? It's illegal activity, and not something I want to be exposed to, frankly.

If I were going to seek that cache, I'd certainly want to know ahead of time of the type of behavior that goes on there, and we'd skip that one.

If I were going to seek that cache, I'd certainly want to know ahead of time of the type of behavior that goes on there, and we'd skip that one.

I agree. I wouldn't necessarily skip it, but I would go more prepared than I normally would. Maybe taking my husband with me instead of my daughter.

I agree. I wouldn't necessarily skip it, but I would go more prepared than I normally would. Maybe taking my husband with me instead of my daughter.

Are you sure you'd want to take your HUSBAND? :blink: I think he'd be in more danger than you.

Harrald,

Are you implying that ALL gay cruising encounters ALWAYS result in sexual relations. And, these sexual relations ALWAYS occur in public locations?

I think that that would be foolish to assume.

LOL.

My observations lead me to believe that hookers migrate to all areas of the city as a result of the police department's actions.

Anyway, no one is obligated to point anything out to others, including the cache's owner.

Are you sure you'd want to take your HUSBAND? :blink: I think he'd be in more danger than you.

HA! Actually, if you could see my husband, there would be no doubt in your mind as to whether he was gay or not. And if you decided to find out anyway, he would probably be quite happy to show you the quickest route to the closest emergency room.

He said if anyone ever finds a park where PlayBoy Bunnies participate in this kind of behavior, he'd like to know the coords ASAP......lol

I think that lep was saying that the reason the guy attacked him was because he was gay and wanted to sexually assault him.

I don't have very much tolerence for this kind of thing, either.  One of my very good male friends was sexually assaulted by another male, and when he tried to defend himself, the guy beat him to death with a baseball bat.

I'm sure you aren't saying it, but it almost sounds like a man sexually assulting another man is worse than a man sexually assulting a woman. As far as I am concerend, assault is assault, no matter who is doing it to whom. Gay, straight ot enuch, doesn't matter. Posting a warning that maybe you shouldn't go there because a guy might get assaulted by someone looking for "sex" is probably about like warning women they might get sexually assaulted alone in a park at night.

You are right, I wasn't saying that.

I was responding to Lep's experience with an experience that was close to me. I don't personally know a woman who was beat to death by a man after refusing sexual relations. I did, however, personally know a man who was beaten to death by another man after refusing sexual relations. This is a very emotional memory for me. It was very shocking to our fairly small, family oriented community.

It is just plain bad to be assaulted by anybody. If the place was bad for women, I sould say so. If the place were bad for men, I would say so. If the place were bad for children, I would say so.

Edited by Ambrosia
Are you implying that ALL gay cruising encounters ALWAYS result in sexual relations. And, these sexual relations ALWAYS occur in public locations?

That is, as I understand it, the whole purpose of the activity. Not to go all sociology on you, but many of the people involved have been quite frank about the attraction; it's not merely meeting up, it's the extra frisson of pleasure from having sex in public or forbidden places. And having it frequently, in quick succession, with a variety of partners, all of whom are complete strangers. If the point were something more social, why not go someplace comfortable, like a bar?

I confess I don't understand the attraction, but it has variants that are certainly not unknown to heterosexuals.

Do we really want to go here?

Intolerance isn't a bad thing [...] Why should I be asked to tolerate something I believe is wrong?

This sums it up pretty well, I think.

This is no longer about what is legal, or about what is prudent, but about what a specific cacher BELIEVES is wrong.

No wonder this thread is being derailed.

But his being gay is as irrelevant as his being male, or his being white (or black), or whatever.

The diffrence is that you cant choose to be male or female or black or white. The bottom line is, we make choices and I choose to call the authorities and let them know there are people in danger.

Yes!

Okey doke. Here's a UK heterosexual variant called dogging. Further google on the term will turn up more. Much more. More than you ever wanted to know. The BBC being what it is, they're all flexed about STD's...but I would so be unhappy if I ran across this creepy hobby in the wild.

I keep waiting for this thread to get shut down. You can stop me any time now...

Intolerance isn't a bad thing [...] Why should I be asked to tolerate something I believe is wrong?

This is no longer about what is legal, or about what is prudent, but about what a specific cacher BELIEVES is wrong.

Keep reading - I clearly stated that I was talking about the issue of criminal activity as it applies to this topic. Whether or not I believe that homosexuality is wrong or right has nothing to do with whether sexual activity in a public park is legal or not. Please do not put words into my mouth or take things out of context.

My whole point was that I will not tolerate illegal activity. And you don't have to just go with me saying I BELIEVE it's wrong or illegal - do I need to quote the exact law here? Do you think I'm just making this up? It's illegal and I won't tolerate it!

Edited by Pilgrim, Rhubarb, & Sweet Pea
Yes!

Okey doke. Here's a UK heterosexual variant called dogging. Further google on the term will turn up more. Much more. More than you ever wanted to know. The BBC being what it is, they're all flexed about STD's...but I would so be unhappy if I ran across this creepy hobby in the wild.

I keep waiting for this thread to get shut down. You can stop me any time now...

Where was stuff like this when I was, like, 19? :blink:

Edited by briansnat

Keep reading - I clearly stated that I was talking about the issue of criminal activity as it applies to this topic. Whether or not I believe that homosexuality is wrong or right has nothing to do with whether sexual activity in a public park is legal or not. Please do not put words into my mouth or take things out of context.

My whole point was that I will not tolerate illegal activity. And you don't have to just go with me saying I BELIEVE it's wrong or illegal - do I need to quote the exact law here? Do you think I'm just making this up? It's illegal and I won't tolerate it!

I read your post, but there is no point commenting about the part that all of us, law abiding citizens, agree on anyway.

But the law is pretty clear, and has nothing to do with your beliefs. Nor does the law necessarily forbid the things you believe are wrong. I wish you wouldn't try to equate those things.

What struck me in your original message was your advocacy of intolerance for things that don't match your personal beliefs. That pretty much sums it up.

As I said, about being vigilant about illegal actiivities, we all agree. No need to repeat THAT in order to justify your intolerance of other persons' beliefs, which is quite something different.

As far as "gay cruising" this is not a something we have to be PC about. This is an illegal activity

"gay cruising" is generally associated with the illegal activity of having sex in a public place. That is why I put quotes around it.

The intentions of people who desire to meet at these locations is not a concern of mine. It is the actions of a few of them. Perhaps an example of a few people ruining it for the rest.

Definately worth a mention when logging the cache

To respond to the original question. Yes, I note anything worth mentioning. Everything from nice sunny days to garbage on the ground. Unfortunately you can't ask about reporting this particular activity and then ask that people not debate it. The real issue is whether or not "cruisers" are a concern for geocachers. That has to be discussed

Ultimately, you have every right to report any concern you have, founded or unfounded, without having to ask permission from the community. Obviously you'll find so many opposing opinions here, you'll do just as well listening to your own conscience.

Edited by Elf Danach

I read your post, but there is no point commenting about the part that all of us, law abiding citizens, agree on anyway.

But the law is pretty clear, and has nothing to do with your beliefs. Nor does the law necessarily forbid the things you believe are wrong. I wish you wouldn't try to equate those things.

What struck me in your original message was your advocacy of intolerance for things that don't match your personal beliefs. That pretty much sums it up.

As I said, about being vigilant about illegal actiivities, we all agree. No need to repeat THAT in order to justify your intolerance of other persons' beliefs, which is quite something different.

How am I being intolerant of other people's beliefs by stating that the sex in the park by anyone is wrong? When did I try to equate the law with my beliefs?

Nor does the law necessarily forbid the things you believe are wrong.

I belive sex in the park by ANYONE other than animals (and people routinely turn the hose on dogs engaged in such activity to stop it) is WRONG and it is ILLEGAL as well. In this case the law DOES NECESSARILY forbid things that I believe are wrong. That's what this topic is about after all, not a study in what Rhubarb believes is right or wrong and whether or not Shunra agrees with her.

As for my advocacy of intolerance to things that don't match my beliefs - what's the point of believing in anything if you're just going to tolerate anything that comes along that goes against it? Intolerance isn't a bad thing, and I'm not trying to justify it - I don't need to.

And this whole topic was about the illegal activities going on that park, and whether the owner or other cachers should post a note about such activies so that others would be aware of it.

If you're so tolerant, why do you keep butting heads with me for my personal beliefs? Tolerate me and my opinion that is different than yours! :blink:

Yes!

Buddy says: "Woof"

Same here, although I'd be more likely to just avoid it altogether. I don't need ANY kind of this sort of stuff when I'm geocaching. Heterosexual or homosexual.

Would you post a note on a cache about it being located in a published gay cruising area?

Wow. So much to comment here about this topic, but let me first answer the question. Yes, I would “post a note on a cache about it being located in a [published] gay cruising area” just I would post any other pertinent warnings on other, for lack of a better word, possible 'hazardous' situations. I think it is the responsibility of the owner of the cache to note such situations, if he/she is aware of them, and for each of us to do so if we observe them thereafter. When I created my first geocache site, Azucar Mine Offset (GCC2), I warned geocachers of the open mine shafts that were in the area. On my second site, Catalina Island Cache (GC18E), I first warned cachers of a wild pig problem that was under management on the island at the time.

I see no problem with gays cruising at a park. Public sex, however, is another matter. I think it must be said that if you are approached for sex in any location that a simple “No thank you” is all that is required; however, no one has the right to physically assault you and being stalked is another matter all together.

I think that it needs to be pointed out that there are plenty of locations where heterosexuals park, make out, and sometimes have sex. These places often go by the name ‘Lover’s Leap’ or ‘Lover’s Lane’. I certainly would warn other geocachers about this situation also.

It has been my observation that most men that cruise in parks are ‘closeted’ homosexuals that are unwilling to enter a gay bar and have few other options to find such encounters. I ask you to consider this matter the next time a gay marriage issue comes up in your state. Pushing gays and lesbians deeper into the closet hurts us all as a society.

Edited by GDannyboy

I dont have time to read all these posts tonight but two things

first i must admit that uperdooper had a point....flint has some not so wonderful neighbothoods....and i work IN detroit delivering narcotics so I know

second my friend luke and i were talking the other day (luke has a differant skin color than mine) we came to the conclusion that watching a black guy 'cruise' in the suburbs is virtually the same as watching a white guy 'cruise' in the city.....they are just looking for differant things dont read too much into it just an interesting point and a little off topic

Shunra, I understand your philosophical point, but its practical relevance to the discussion is rather insignificant.

Example: Do you oppose kidnapping because it is morally wrong or because it is against the law? Now, you can respond by claiming: A) "Who says I oppose kidnapping? Don't tell ME what to believe!" Doing so marks you as either insincere or some type of sociopath in the eyes of most. You can also respond :o "Because it's morally wrong (and God says so/ I just feel that way/ that's what our culture says/ etc.)" Another option: C) It's against the law and we have to obey the law (or the world will be lawless/ because I make the laws).

Happily, most of us oppose kidnapping because of a combination of B AND C. We don't conduct or condone it. Our laws evolve from moral precepts and the law is also a teacher of right & wrong as a particular society understands it.

Openly lewd and carnal acts in our public spaces are not consented to or condoned by the vast majority in our society and culture. They don't all agree as to WHY, but they do agree it should not be tolerated. The impetus is not as vital as the outcome (call me a pragmatist). Having sex atop a war memorial in the town square, urinating on the carpet in the periodicals room at the public library, littering on Main Street and swearing loudly in the supermarket are all viewed as wrong according to the vast majority and are also illegal. Violate these laws and your recompense is public scorn, shame, infamy AS WELL AS fines or imprisonment.

I could go on into lots of tangents, but I'll resist the temptation.

If you oppose open and lewd carnal acts in our public spaces, don't be afraid to say so. The parks are OURS TO SHARE, not theirs to degrade.

A while ago, I read a thread (can't find it now) about running across couples in compromising postions while cacheing. These couples were men and women, and the responses of the posters were completely different from what I'm reading on this thread. Most thought it was funny; Some were glad there children weren't with them; Yet NOT ONE suggested that this be noted on the cache's log or that police be called. Seems to be a more than a little contradictory.

Okay, you guys forced me to dig up an old post from a thread over a year ago related to this same topic. Because 'Will & Grace' is perhaps the funniest show on TV, I thought it only fair to hear what Jack McFarland has to say on the topic. This is the interview ...

GC.com: Jack how do you feel about the unappropriate behavior displayed in the park?

Jack: Jennifer Love Hewitt ... that is sooo wrong (where exactly is this park?)

GC.com: you do not appear as if this activity bothers you very much...

Jack: oh, I'm bothered alright! I can't believe they didn't invite me.

GC.com: don't you think such activity is looked down upon by society as a whole ...

Jack: hehehe, did you say hole?

GC.com: well, it is clear you are not taking this topic very serious, surely you have a sense of decency?

Jack: don't call me surely...

GC.com: what do you have to say to all the people who think this type of activity in the park is disturbing?

Jack: what's really disturbing is the color of that shirt you are wearing, does it come with a warning label?

GC.com: Seriously, what is the best thing that has happened to you and your life style in the last ten years?

Jack: Well, thats a toss-up between the men's thong and Hillary making the Senate party. I love that women she ran our country with diginity for 8 years.

GC.com: bye, Jack

Jack: bye, sweet cheeks.

A while ago, I read a thread (can't find it now) about running across couples in compromising postions while cacheing.  These couples were men and women, and the responses of the posters were completely different from what I'm reading on this thread.  Most thought it was funny; Some were glad there children weren't with them; Yet NOT ONE suggested that this be noted on the cache's log or that police be called.  Seems to be a more than a little contradictory.

That's because it wasn't a question about whether or not it should be logged.

Edited by Elf Danach
A while ago, I read a thread (can't find it now) about running across couples in compromising postions while cacheing.  These couples were men and women, and the responses of the posters were completely different from what I'm reading on this thread.  Most thought it was funny; Some were glad there children weren't with them; Yet NOT ONE suggested that this be noted on the cache's log or that police be called.  Seems to be a more than a little contradictory.

And it was about the occasional encounter, more of a random thing along the trail rather than a known 'cruising' area where it's liable to be encountered on a daily basis.

If I came across either situation while caching, I'd post it in the log as well.

Edited by Pilgrim, Rhubarb, & Sweet Pea

And it was about the occasional encounter, more of a random thing along the trail rather than a known 'cruising' area where it's liable to be encountered on a daily basis.

If I came across either situation while caching, I'd post it in the log as well.

And you can bet I'd take some pictures too. :o Just kidding. no i'm not

This has gone further off topic than this so I might as well mention it. Where does the nude cacher fit into all of this? It's not legal to walk around naked in public but no one seems to have a problem with this. At least I don't recall anyone ever saying so in the forums. I'm not debating his lifestyle, he's a nudist and that's all fine and dandy but what if you were with your 10 year old daughter and you came face to face with him on the trail? Would you call the cops? I'm not trying to open a new can of worms here just wondering what people think about that.

Yes, I would call the cops, at least if he didn;t put some clothes on in front of my (hypothetical) kid. There are areas specifically suited to that kind of lifestyle. Public parks are not one of those areas.

I'd have to agree if I was with my imaginary daughter. If I was alone I might shutter but I don't think I'd call the cops.

Curious to see what some others think...

Yes, I would call the cops, at least if he didn;t put some clothes on in front of my (hypothetical) kid. There are areas specifically suited to that kind of lifestyle. Public parks are not one of those areas.

I don't think the nude cacher carries clothes around in a backpack, so I doubt there would be anything to "put on". I guess the only cover he would have is his GPSr, question is, is it an eTrex Vista? Or a Magellan Meridian? :o

I probably wouldn't call the cops myself, I cache alone 99% of the time and wouldn't have anyone's eyes to cover up, except perhaps my own...

I would think that he has a way to put clothes on and off, cause at my cache, he was surrounded by apartments and houses, smack dab in the middle of downtown Bellevue. I would think he wouldn't get very far naked there.

He makes very certain there is nobody else about when he strips down for his shots.

Really? Did he make sure no one was looking out of their windows for this shot? :o

I have no problem with gay cruising. Personally, I don't much have a problem with two people having sex in a parked car. If I stumbled upon it, I'd be more likely to ask if I could watch than I would be to get mad at it (If you look in the windows, then You're responsible for what you see.)...... But I would put a note in my cache log about it, simply because while I might be 21 and not have a problem with it, I'm sure if I were caching with a five year old who stumbled upon that, I'd be a little peeved if I hadn't been warned.

Where does the nude cacher fit into all of this?

He makes very certain there is nobody else about when he strips down for his shots. I understand he really doesn't hike that way, but i got that through a 3rd party.

Well..I was at the first two parties and let me tell you...

Anyway--what does this thread have to do with caching?

I would mention that someone might be getting into a situation you don't normally expect when out caching.

Then I'd get on with my life.

I would think that he has a way to put clothes on and off, cause at my cache, he was surrounded by apartments and houses, smack dab in the middle of downtown Bellevue.  I would think he wouldn't get very far naked there.
He makes very certain there is nobody else about when he strips down for his shots.

Really? Did he make sure no one was looking out of their windows for this shot? :o

Hey!

You found my cache! :o

I noticed talk of Nudecacher brought up in this thread and don't understand how it relates to the original topic of this thread. I do not know nor have ever met Nudecacher. However, we were all born nude, and continue to be, underneath our clothing. He has nothing to hide and his photos are quite tasteful. I admire your gumption, Nudecacher! 'Nough said!

--laurak of dasein

I don't think it would hurt a child (or anyone) to see a naked person, so I definitely wouldn't call cops if I saw Nudecacher or a nude cacher during one of my hunting trips. But as said, that's off topic in many many ways. Being nude doesn't mean anything sexual per se. There are a number of things that can be done naked and some of them are even expected to done naked, and definitely not all are sex-related in any way.

Somebody mentioned thinking about closeted gay people and the effects of pushing people deeper in their closets the next time the gay marriage issue raises up in 'your state'. In this country gay marriages have been legal for couple of years. A friend of my family was deeply against the law because the society will collapse if it's legalized. So far it hasn't. :o On the contrary, life of thousands of people has become considerably easier, and the new law had no effect on the rest of us.

Not a homophobe here, but if writing down license plate numbers and reporting criminal activity to the police is considered intolerant, then I'm intolerant.

Reporting criminal activity (like crossing the road against red light) is naturally ok, but why should you write down licence plates in a parking lot? Or you mean you're writing down plate numbers from only those cars the owners of which are doing something illegal? You're sure you're not writing down anyone's plate number who doesn't find a partner and drives home alone? Or anyone's who gets a room? Or anyone's who takes the newfound partner to home?

Reporting criminal activity (like crossing the road against red light) is naturally ok, but why should you write down licence plates in a parking lot? Or you mean you're writing down plate numbers from only those cars the owners of which are doing something illegal? You're sure you're not writing down anyone's plate number who doesn't find a partner and drives home alone? Or anyone's who gets a room? Or anyone's who takes the newfound partner to home?

He is referencing a guy a while back who took a videocamera to the streets outside his home - they were a lot of prostitutes and finally he'd had enough. The police couldn't really do much, so he videotapes license plates and then the interior of the car and then mailed a copy to the 'johns' wife. Worked wonders - cleaned up his street.

And as far as the nude caching thing - Would you have a problem if I came up to you during a hike and pushed a religion on you? Then why should anyone else be allowed to push their belief system on me (or my nieces/nephews) should I be out there? There are accepted places to be nude in this country - the parks aren't one of them.

I have no problem with gay cruising. Personally, I don't much have a problem with two people having sex in a parked car. If I stumbled upon it, I'd be more likely to ask if I could watch than I would be to get mad at it (If you look in the windows, then You're responsible for what you see.)......

The problem is that it is on the trails, not in the cars. Several rest stops in Mass. were closed because people were using the bushes as desperate bathroom stops and men would come out them looking for.. well you can fill in the rest.