Caches That Make You Go...hummm...

Yes, I've found a few that make me say hmmmmmm (or doh!). One was a hollowed out 2X4 (weathered) lying on the ground next to an old cemetery groundkeepers building.

BTW, El Diablo, there will be some photos of caches exactly like that in the Aug. edition of Today's Cacher (to go live in just a few short days). :P:D

One cache I had visited use an army mortar tube. Basically a long tube that looks sort of like a drain pipe... Anyway, the cacher skinned a dead tree and put the bark on the tube, and then put the cache, (which looked incredibly like a tree limb) into a giant pile of dead wood...

No, but I once found a cache that made me go 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv'

Was it in a shrubbery?

You must be a true Monty Python fan. I didn't think anybody would get that.

Well, isn't searching for a tough cache similar to searching for the Holy Grail ala Monty Python? :anitongue:

No, but I once found a cache that made me go 'Ecky-ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang-zoop-boing-goodem-zoo-owli-zhiv'

Was it in a shrubbery?

Of Course it was hidden Shrubbery, you English Pig Dogs!! And only the Nights of Ni can say these words!!!

And Yes I'm a Monty Python Fan too!

Edited by IronMaiden

Was it in a shrubbery?

Of Course it was hidden Shrubbery, you English Pig Dogs!! And only the Nights of Ni can say these words!!!

And Yes I'm a Monty Python Fan too!

Fechez la vache! :D Huh? :P I said-get the Cow.! B)

Now go away or I shall taunt you some more. B):anitongue:

Did anyone else see them perform live in NYC back in '77 or '78? They said and did things you couldn't say and do on TV back then. :D

Does anyone else own a vinyl copy of Matching Tie and Handkercheif? It was a three sided record.

Back OT- I was emailed a picture of me gently moving the X of branches containing the cache aside to look for it. The description read' the container is between two pine branches, It is in plain view, mostly. B)

Wasn't things that make you go hmmm. an Arsenio Hall thang, made even more popular by the one hit wonders-C&C Music Factory though, and not python? B)

Edited by wimseyguy

This one is mine. It is a really small blood vial placed in a drilled hole in a hollow log. The cache was then shot wtih a white paintball so that when the paint stained the stump it would be the same color as the vial with the logbook. Oh did I mention you can only see it if you are laying on your stomach.

edited because of unintentional pun

Edited by kayaker22589

I had one of those. A 1980 RX-7 SE It was a very dangerous car for a foolish young man to drive but boyo did I have fun with it. B)B):P

On the way into work this morning I heard a remake of the Streisand/Diamond duet "you don't bring me flowers any more." It was slick willy and monica singing you don't give me hmm hmm any more. :anitongue::D

I found one that was a 2 ft long 4 inch PVC tube with caps at both ends. the person had painted it green and brown and then used foam insulation to attach pieces of bark. the foam turned orange and matched the color of the rotting wood around it. It was simply laying on the ground with between a couple of downed trees. I stood right over it and didn't see it. I came another away and looked down and found it.

The best (most different) one we found was inside a metal handrail pole. First you had to remove the cap from the pole, then you had to hold your finger over a hole near the bottom, then you had to pour water into the pipe. Lo and behold - a little water-tight container floated to the top.

PVC pipe that was against a small retail store front. (owner gets a kick out of watching people look for it)

It looked like plumbing coming out of the side of the building and going into

the ground.

Not obvious at all until you're hunting the cache and you look at it

and go.... hmmmm.

The best (most different) one we found was inside a metal handrail pole. First you had to remove the cap from the pole, then you had to hold your finger over a hole near the bottom, then you had to pour water into the pipe. Lo and behold - a little water-tight container floated to the top.

Now that's a cool idea. How did you know you had to pour water in?

El Diablo

I might get shot if I reveal the secrets, so i'll just link to the cache page where you can read everyones log entries.

Mark this waypoint, Val

One of my personal favorites, see the picture gallery.

Hold the Line

Promises in the dark

Best urban camo!

The fun zone

It doesn't get any greener than this one. The Nano returns

My personal favorite style for hiding a cache:

The invisible touch

The use of decoys and mis-direction makes caching that much more fun. The use of an old fire extinguisher to hide a micro inside was neat.

Here is a cool containers thread

Edited by Kit Fox

There is a cache in Georgia where you have to pour several tennis ball cans of water into the top and ta da the cache. The hint says something about tennis balls cans, etc. Also there was a topic about a year ago mon this technique.

There is also a cache in GA that is an electrical box magnetically attached to some electrical boes on the back of a building.

There is also one around here that is a drainage valve control box buried in the ground. when you tke the lid off you see a valve on a piece of pvc pipe. You have to wiggle out the pvc pipe and unscrew the cap and tada.

I know several people have been critical of this one, but we found a cache that was disquised as a Sprinkly head in a park. It took several tries before we wer able to find it. The only way we knew it was a cache was that it was a yard type sprinkly hear while the park had those large commercial types.

Now that's a cool idea. How did you know you had to pour water in?

El Diablo

The description of the cache gave a couple of hints. The cache is archived now, but here's the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f5-1b5eeffa37ca

This is the part that sort of gave it away - "This is no pipe dream, it really is there somewhere and you will need 64 parts of something in order to find it. Fill up on the info here before you go and your journey wont end up all wet."

The 64 parts of something was meant to be ounces of water.

I just completed one of those today. It was rated a 1/1, but even though it was a 1 for terrain I think it was better hidden than a 1 for difficulty. Someone had created a bush and permanently attached it to the lid of the cache. The cache itself was buried (I know that digging a hole is a no no, but in this area I don't think anyone would know the difference). I walked by it several times before I noticed that there was a wing nut sticking out of the ground. Actually there turned out to be 4, and when you undid them the lid and bush came off and there was the cache. A very imaginative cache. :blink:

Was it in a shrubbery?

You must be a true Monty Python fan. I didn't think anybody would get that.

Consult the Book of Armaments, Chapter 4, Verses 16 to 20.

Personally I thought it was 'Icky icky......' but that's just me :o

Thorin

Every time I find a micro in a light pole cover I go hmmmm trying to think why someone thought there should be a cache there.

I agree completely. But it's more along the lines of "caches that make you go...huh?" :o I don't understand those at all. I'll usually hunt them once I'm there, but I prefer to avoid them.

PVC pipe that was against a small retail store front. (owner gets a kick out of watching people look for it)

It looked like plumbing coming out of the side of the building and going into

the ground.

Not obvious at all until you're hunting the cache and you look at it

and go.... hmmmm.

Would you have found this one in a certain town in MO? We found one like that....very clever! :huh:

There was one where you had to lift up the latch for a fire alarm and there was the cache amidst all the wires. There was another where you had to go to the fifth story of a library, and there was a book the hider had placed that was entirely hollowed out, with an Altoids Tin inside.

Both of these were hidden by the incredible, daring OtisPug.

Another local hider hid one in a fake sprinkler in a blockbuster parking lot. And in a planted pipe behind an office building. And and and....

I'm like a wealth of fantastic stories.

One of our locals took a 2x6 inch piece of magnetic tape, added some adhesive-backed numbers to the front, a piece of paper (for the log) to the back, and stuck the thing on a telephone junction box. He can check the cache from 500 feet away, because it's in plain view, but it takes most people quite a while to figure it out. As a hint, the numbers on the tape are the GC.com waypoint... :P

Another area cacher owns/runs a business that provides voice mail to other companies. Finding the final stage requires calling the voice mail and getting messages about the next stage. The final is right outside the buildin where he works, so he can watch you look for it. :D