North East Caches Rule!

avroair

Just wanted to let you guys know that I prefer North East caches to everywhere else I have cached. They are generally well thought out and there is a variety.

I have just finished a day of caching in Northern California, and they were all lame micros... 3 within 200 feet of one another and one actually in a store. Hmmm... guess the guidelines are really guidelines!!!

Thanks and keep the Northeast a cool place to cache!

I agree. When I read about places with hundreds caches, 90 percent of which are log only, Hide-A-Key micros stuck to dumpsters and light posts, I feel thankful that we live in this region.

The geocaching pioneers in this region, people like Cache Ninja, Lucien, Ttepee, Team Excession, The Artful Dodger, Marty621, Kernbob, Team Magster and some others set the bar pretty high.

I've often said that people tend to hide the kind of caches they find and this first generation of geocachers set a great example for those of us who came along later.

I'm in Oklahoma city right now. There's a micro you can do without leaving the car. All said I'm still going to try it. I brought 6 TB's with me it's going to take a while to find caches big enough. The puzzle caches require college algerbra. I perfer Perfect Tommy's Thomas the tank engine. Then again I have three weeks of no house, pets and family obligations to go caching

We DO have great caches in the North East, but we do have some lame ones too. There are drive up micros in the N.NJ/NYC area, and even one or 2 inside a store.

Same as the rest of the country. When we were in California last month, we passed by hundreds of those lame sounding caches you're talking about, and spent a day hiking the beautiful Santa Monica mountains overlooking Los Angeles.

In Vegas there are dozens virts. Some are good; most are lame. Yet just a few miles away Red Rock Canyon is one of the nicest areas I've cached so far, and contains one of my all-time favorite caches..

I've now cached in 14 states I think. I've found it really helps to contact a local that seems to enjoy the same types of caches you do and get some recommendations. The nice thing about caching is the variety. Almost anywhere you go, you can grab a quick cache, or a 3 mile hike. Just gotta look.

i've cached in north carolina and florida and was somewhat surprised to find most of the caches sitting on the ground, barely covered. many within feet of an active trail or path. most were covered with some pine needles or a single branch, but i can only remember one or two that were actually hidden or concealed. ( i know this happens all over, but it seems common in fla, or nc.)

i found one in nc that was sitting on the ground at the base of a pine tree with some leaves sprinkled on it. about 20' away was a large tree that had fallen over. it had dozens of cracks and hollows and places to hide a sizable cache, but this one was sitting there in the open. i searched the fallen tree for a while then stood up and spotted the ammo box from about 30' away.

we are lucky to have some good cache hiders/caches in this area. i wouldn't have retained interest if they were all sitting on the ground.

We DO have great caches in the North East, but we do have some lame ones too. There are drive up micros in the N.NJ/NYC area, and even one or 2 inside a store.

I don't think that anybody thinks that every cache is great here, but in many areas these lame drive up micros are the rule. Yeah, we have them too, but they seem to be the exception around here...at least in northern NJ and southern NY.

My experience in Florida and California has been a drive up micro or a long hike in the mountains (CA) or a swamp (FL).

The puzzle caches involve you having to watch a movie or read a book?!? :(

(Which is counter-intuitive to a nearly blind illiterate such as myself!).

Edited by avroair

I don't think that anybody thinks that every cache is great here, but in many areas these lame drive up micros are the rule. Yeah, we have them too, but they seem to be the exception around here...at least in northern NJ and southern NY.

I think the drive by caches are so rare around here that I don't mind them when they do pop up. On Long Island credit goes mostly to Bayonets4u. He's pretty much the father of geocaching around here.

Although we love caching in the Northeast, we have also had wonderful caching experiences elsewhere. Mopar metioned the caches in the Vegas area. Those Red Rock Canyon caches are absolutely amazing. We also found some incredible locations in the Florida Keys as well. The Northeast does have great caches...but there are so many other places that we also look forward to seeing through geocaching eyes! :blink:

Edited by M&M_NY

Placing drive up micros in a Wal-Mart, Home Depot or any other large store parking lot is against Groundspeak guidelines per say. ;)

It is on private property (that's why you can't get a speeding ticket in a parking lot! :lol: ) so shouldn't it not adhere to the guidelines unless permission is sought by the landowner? :blink:

Actually you can be ticketed in a parking lot.

No you can't! :o

You can be ticketed leaving a lot or entering a lot illegally, but technically you can't on a private lot. That's like getting a ticket while you are in your driveway! :o

Then how do they ticket people illegally parked in handicap spots, or for not parking within the lines...or in a fire lane? Believe me, I've received tickets in private parking lots.

Edited by briansnat
Actually you can be ticketed in a parking lot.

No you can't! :o

You can be ticketed leaving a lot or entering a lot illegally, but technically you can't on a private lot. That's like getting a ticket while you are in your driveway! :o

Then how do they ticket people illegally parked in handicap spots, or for not parking within the lines...or in a fire lane? Believe me, I've received tickets in private parking lots.

You can be ticketed for parking illegally but if you go through a stop sign in a parking lot you're cool.

Placing drive up micros in a Wal-Mart, Home Depot or any other large store parking lot is against Groundspeak guidelines per say. :o

It is on private property (that's why you can't get a speeding ticket in a parking lot! ;) ) so shouldn't it not adhere to the guidelines unless permission is sought by the landowner? :o

Those large store parking lots may be private property but they're considered places of public accommodation so certain laws like the ADA apply. What I'm still doubtful of is whether it is public enough that geocachers don't need to ask permission to place a micro there. Apparently, most of the private parking lot micros operate under the don't ask permission and hope they don't find out rule.

Incidentally, there's a micro hidden on the premises of a mall somewhere in Pennsylvania. Online logs from cachers state that they have been questioned by mall security when they searched for the cache and that the mall does not approve of that kind of activity. And yet, the micro remains and is still an active listing?

Incidentally, there's a micro hidden on the premises of a mall somewhere in Pennsylvania. Online logs from cachers state that they have been questioned by mall security when they searched for the cache and that the mall does not approve of that kind of activity. And yet, the micro remains and is still an active listing?

How many Should Be Archived logs are there on it? With over 112,000 active caches, and more then 10,000 new cache logs a day, the only way someone is going to know this one cache should be archived is if someone actually actually hits the button.

All those are parking violations not tickets! Tickets are moving violations! :o

All those are parking violations not tickets! Tickets are moving violations! :o

You friggin' brits think you're soooo smart with your fancy accents. "Look at me I'm so smart and I'm going to have a spot of tea with crumpets." :o

Okay I'll put my 2 cents in. You CAN recieve a ticket for a moving violation on private property. Even if you are on your own property. You cant bet the law because there are too many laws which apply is one does not. Speeding is considered careless and a careless driving summons can be issued. Technically you can even be issued a ticket or arrested for cutting your grass if operating a ride on grass mower and your license is suspended/revoked. Oh and forget about drinking and driving on you own property also, your not safe.

Oh and forget about drinking and driving on you own property also, your not safe.

Also, try driving drunk in the Pathmark parking lot and see how fast you get a moving violation.

ANYWAY... I like the caches we have here in the northeast. You can have your Cachevilles (a.k.a. Nashville).

Edited by briansnat
How many Should Be Archived logs are there on it? With over 112,000 active caches, and more then 10,000 new cache logs a day, the only way someone is going to know this one cache should be archived is if someone actually actually hits the button.

None at all. Those who have had run-ins with the mall security have not posted SBA logs. I'm loathe to do that myself since I didn't have any problems while I was there. And so it remains.

I'm going to have a spot of tea

I have often wondered how much a spot of tea is? :o

Anyhoo... I still feel we are blessed with the variety of caches around here:

urban micro caches

suburban park caches

themed puzzle caches

loop trail caches

swamp caches

overlook and vista caches

historical reference caches

well thoughtout multis

specialized equipment caches - boat, night or climbing