Geocaching Gender Confusion

Dr. Webe. Was very surprised to find out that he was a she. Had misconstrued gender because she once visited a desert cache of ours when the temperature was 127 degrees. That cache required a long hike up a steep hill. I used to think women were too smart for that. Plus she finds and hides lots of tough desert caches. Now we follow the adventures of Dr. Webe and the Ski Bum. They go places we can only dream of going.

the gender classifications of german are crazy (or other languages) .....my case in point.....(if i remember my german correctly) is that der Mann becomes die Manner when plural (der is masculine and die is feminine) the word for girl 'das Mädchen' uses the gender neutral "das" when even der Bleistiftspitzer gets a masculine 'the' did anyone know that their Bleistiftspitzer had a gender?

to me it's all verrückt

the gender classifications of german are crazy (or other languages) .....my case in point.....(if i remember my german correctly)  is that der Mann becomes die Manner when plural (der is masculine and die is feminine)

The article die Männer in the plural form of der Mann isn't a feminine article, it just looks the same. (Just like in English e.g. the word battery can mean a lot of things including beating-up.) The article is always die in all plural nouns, whether the singular article is der, das or die. But you're right, it's all verrückt. :blink:

I've got to agree that the pony avatar had me comfused in the past as well.

Of course, I'm sure a few people on here have read my posts and assumed that I am a girl, having the name Shannon. This name has caused tons of confusion over my lifetime so far. I recently was sent a free subscription to "Nevada Woman" magazine as I somehow got placed on their mailing list.

There is a bright side to this. It makes it much easier to weed out junk mail and telemarketers. Anyone who asks for (or addresses mail to) Miss Shannon Hatcher obviously isn't someone who knows me :lol:

The best example of the gender confusion in my experience is from when I started my current job. About two weeks after starting, I recieved a letter from my new HMO. They had reviewed my new policy info, and were concerned that I did not select a Gyn/Ob! Since it is very important to establish a good relationship with your doctor, they have gone ahead and selected one for me :blink:

I sent that letter to my mom with a note thanking her for the great name selection. I toyed with the idea of making an appointment, but decided against it ;)

Shannon (which is a MALE name in Ireland)

I once had a person I met at an event tell me that I was younger and less prudish than he imagined! He reads these forums too, so I won't name him! He will likely remember the comment when he reads this though. I was amused. :lol:

Did I say that out loud at GeoWoodstock II? ;):lol::blink:

By the way, I'm not species confused.

I am not a puppy, but sometimes I play one in the forums.

Wow,

Having been telecommunicating since the days of 300 baud modems, I don't tend to ascribe or presume a gender and was surprised so many do.

Then I saw all the references to Avatars. Since I browse without images, I don't share that liability and judge folks on their actions instead.

So no, no gender surprises.

There was one age surprise however, a local couple frequently went out in the wee hours of the morning weekends or weekdays. Their logs were more "mentoring"/supportive. They often included references to familial relations they were close to. Turned out they were decades younger than expected and others had formed the same misperception.

(Thinking back to the early BBS days, "Lightning Bolt" happened to be male, "Firefly" was female--yes they were siblings.)

Why wouldn't you reserve judgement until presented with some compelling evidence???

Baffled,

Randy

(or is it Randi?)

PS: Then again, I did write a log from a female perspective once, inspired by the cache container. 'Twas only amusing to those who figure me for male.

A few months ago, while hiking to a new cache, my little brother (Red Mage) and I ran into one of the most famous local cachers, Scout Master. When he found out who we were he said that he had expected us both to be young, hot college chicks. :o I don't don't know how he got that idea.

You don't know? And who proudly hunted the WICCA (sp?) cache? :o

(Of course, not everybody knows that college chicks can't be into 8-bit theater, you just can't blame 'em ;) )

Back on topic, it never ceases to amaze me how people want to share their real-life identities, and to trust other to do the same. How old is evrybody and where they work and live and real names of every friend and family... C'mon it's the Cyberspace and you haven't got the best map of its bad neighborhoods. You may have you realspace a*s burned that way, and most certainly, everybody out there may be a female, and not even of a human species.

Last post reminded me of one of my favorite cartoons, thought I had saved it, but can't find it. Dad walks in on son in chat room...son explains that he is chatting with a HOT 23 year old supermodel in Hollywood.

Son: "She thinks I'm a rich, 25 year old stockbroker in New York with a Ferrari!"

Dad: "How do you know she isn't a 13 year old kid in Nebraska?"

The most wonderful :o look comes onto the kid's face. :o

Haven't actually run into this situation yet, since I've only met a few cachers "in the wild", maybe after we have a local event...

By the way so there is no doubt.

Mastifflover

Sex:MALE

And to quote Criminal: "I like girls, I like them alot!!"

well, I hate to say it, but that right there is the proof. I thought Mastiff lover was a name only a woman would adopt. Sorry dude.

So you like girls, but LOVE dogs ?!?!? :o

My dog never asks me to go clothes shopping with him, and he never complains if I lay around the house and watch football! :o