Legend C

wtex55

My wife has a Legend C and I have a Vista C (they are identical except that the Vista includes an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter) and we really love them both (I also have a 60CS and I prefer my Vista C over it hands down - I just wish that the Vista C had a bit more memory for holding maps is all). Is there something specific that you were interested in about the unit?

If not, then try downloading the manual for the Legend C from Garmin's web site and taking a look at that. It will walk you through all of the features the unit has to offer and show you some really good screen shots in full color.

eTrex Legend C Owner's Manual

eTrex Vista C Owner's Manual

Signal acquisition....the "feel" of the clickstick, speed of route calculation, volume strength of the alarms, and if you have found a case that you prefer.

Thanks for your help---I just ordered one and I hope the improvements are as good as they seem to be.

(I also have a 60CS and I prefer my Vista C over it hands down - I just wish that the Vista C had a bit more memory for holding maps is all).

You could always send your 60CS to me. :P if you don't think you will miss it to much. :D I'm using the regular legend and have really enjoyed it, but I have only been geocaching and using a GPS for about 6 weeks.

Edited by HawkesNest
Signal acquisition....the "feel" of the clickstick, speed of route calculation, volume strength of the alarms, and if you have found a case that you prefer.

The Legend C/Vista C seems to be a touch slower to acquire a signal lock than my 60CS is (probably due to the Patch vs. Quad Helix antenna), but it's just fine. I usually get a good lock in under a minute when cold and way less than that when warm.

One of the things I like best about the unit is the "feel" of the click stick. It's waaay easier to use than the rocker button on my 60CS and that's one of the reasons I like it so much (that, and it's super small size too). What I don't like are the positions of the Menu and Page/Quit buttons. I think that they should have been placed on the same side of the unit since they are always being used at the same time. It sucks having to keep switching from one side of the unit to the other in order to access the two buttons. I can live with it just fine though.

The speed of route calculations appear to be the same as (or very close to) that of my 60CS (which they claim has a new faster processor for faster route calculations). I haven't read anywhere that the Legend C/Vista C got the new faster processor, but I'd imagine so.

The volume of the alarms is okay but not great. It's identical to that of my 60CS. I really think that Garmin should have provided a volume control for the sounds and made them able to be turned up a bit louder (as well as provided separate upcoming left and right turn sounds). The sounds are fine while hiking/geocaching, but in the car, they are a bit hard to hear with all of the background/road noise and when the radio is on.

I just ordered the Garmin cases for our units but I haven't received them yet so I can't really tell you how I like them. I wanted to order them when I first bought the units, but I was worried that since the cases were actually made for the older grayscale eTrex units (which are slightly taller and skinnier than the new color units) that they wouldn't fit. I sent an e-mail to Garmin and they wrote me back stating that the standard eTrex case works fine on the new color units too. However, that remains to be seen.

Thanks for your help---I just ordered one and I hope the improvements are as good as they seem to be.

You're going to LOVE it! :P

You could always send your 60CS to me.  if you don't think you will miss it to much.

Ha, ha! Yes, I bet you'd like that now wouldn't you. :P

I've only had my 60CS about three weeks now, but I'm seriously considering selling it. I'm not quite sure yet because I still like the fact that it has more memory and a better antenna than the Vista C and so I'm probably going to keep it for use on our longer vacation/geocaching trips (and just use the Legend/Vista aound home). If the Vista C had a little more memory, I'd sell my 60CS for sure though.

I'm torn between the two Vista C and 60CS.

First off, why isn't it called the Vist CS (Color/Sensor?), anyway..

The 60 CS is faster aquiring a lock from cold start. It has more memory, although it needs more.

The Vista C is smaller. (I carry it everywhere, people think it's a cellphone)

If anyone is contemplating between the Legend and Vista, go with the sensors. For 40-50 bucks more you'll have a steady map/pointer when your close to a cache and standing still looking for it.

Without the sensors, you do the "shuffle" to get the pointer to point the right way!

Both suck as a Car GPS, the screen is too small. The iQue or 2620 is the way to go for car navigation. With the touchscreen, input is a breeze. The screen is big enough too.

I have a couple of questions about the status bar in the Legend C/Vista C... looking through the downloadable .pdf manuals for both units, I see the definite lack of the status bar as it's actually displayed on the screen (us 60C/60CS/76C/76CS owners know this bar very well...and wish it would simply go away (via a menu option of course)). Where is the status bar actually located on the Legend C/Vista C screen when it is enabled? At the top or bottom of the screen? How long is it actually displayed when enabled? To me, the full screen of the Legend C/Vista C looks to be the same size as the 60C's screen but with the status bar removed.

Edited by SergZak
Where is the status bar actually located on the Legend C/Vista C screen when it is enabled? At the top or bottom of the screen? How long is it actually displayed when enabled?

The status bar on the Legend C/Vista C is located at the botom of the screen and it is only displayed when you hold down the power button (i.e. it's only displayed when the light intensity adjustment slider is displayed).

Personally, I'd like to have the choice to leave it displayed if I wanted to, but you can't because the light adjuster is always displayed when the status bar is on and so there's no way to separate them.

However, you are correct in that even though the 60/76C(S)'s screen is a little larger (same width, but a bit taller) it is actually almost the exact same size as the screen on the Legend C/Vista C with the status bar being force displayed. Maybe Garmin did it that way so that they didn't have to resize all of the map displays, etc. between the different units???