76cs Or 60 C Or Cs??

S I have used and enjoyed my GPS V for two years now. Fantastic unit. I like the routing and rerouting when on trips.

I would like more memory. So, I'm wondering if I'd like the new 60C or CS or the 76C or CS better.

What are the main advantages/disadvantages between the 60 's and the 76's??

I know th 115 meg of memorty is attratctive but probably 56 meg is enough.

Knowing that I use the GPS V and love it. Which unit would be a better choice for me?

I also have a little emap that I take when doing some walking trips as it fits in my pocket quite nicely.

I've never had a color display...

Especially if you think the 56M is enough memory, the best way to decide this is go to a store that carries both, and hold them in your hand. There's just no beating this for making a decision on which you'll like better. For me, it led me to buy the 60cs, because I felt it worked in my hand better (I like the buttons on the bottom too). Others feel the 76c/s fits in their hand well, and prefer the buttons on the top. There's just no substitute for that hands on feel.

I have a V and I just ordered a 60cs. The memory should be fine. Of course, I would like more, but 56 meg should be fine unless I am driving cross-country; which I can't remember the last time I did that.

If you fish, you may want the 76. It floats! That could be a key factor if it goes overboard.

There are a couple of good threads discussing this here - the last one below has pointers to more threads on this topic. One of them (I think the first) makes a reference to the better basemap in the 76 series vs. the 60's.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=76344

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=74667

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=75375

Edited by Hankhan

I just purchased the 76CS. I debated between the 60 and 76 and went with the 76 for these 2 reasons: 1) waterproof AND floats 2) more memory, can hold all maps for PA and NY. The 76 does everything that the 60 does but it gives you more memory. The 60 is easier to hold and has a belt clip. The 76 has a lanyard but not long enough to fit over head, just around your wrist. Both have the geocaching icons even though the 60 advertises this feature and the 76 does not. Screen size is the same on both units.

Bottom line, if you don't need the memory, the 60 is cheaper and fits in a small hand better.

I love the 76, also purchased Citi Select for driving directions. Very cool, easy to load on the computer and dump maps on the GPS.

You may also want to consider that 56MB may be enough for you now, but what about in the future? I also upgraded to a 60C/60CS from a GPS V and jumping from a meager 19MB up to 56MB is a substantial increase. At the same time, MapSource map sizes are also growing in size. My City Select v5 (So. CA area) mapset totalled 56.6MB. Now after upgrading to City Select v6, the same area totals 59.6MB which of course doesn't fit without removing two map segments. 56MB is still fine for me but now I'm wishing that the 60 series came with the same 115MB as the 76CS... :P

Edited by SergZak
The 60C/S is smaller. The 76 is larger, costs more and has more memory.

In a nutshell because the 56mb is enough, I think it comes down to do you like the smaller size of the 60, or is the extra memory of the 76 going to swing you over?

It sounds like it won't be a hard decision for you.

Thanks for all the great replies.

Today I held a etrex vista in my hand and although it's small, I like the way if fit so easily in your hand and could just tell I'd really like the "C" version which the store I was in didn't have. The only problem again is only 24 or so mb of memory. NOT enough .

You know, Garmin could solve this problem by giving us more memory. !!!!

SO I guess the decision comes down to the 76CS or the 60CS. Other than the larger size, I think the 76CS wins because of the 115mb of memory.

Hey, it floats too!!

I recently purchased a 60CS. After using it far a while I have decided that for me at least it would have been better to save some money and buy a 60C. The compass wanders way to much to be usefull and I haven't figured any use for the barometer. As far as memory, I can load both Idaho and Montana and still have room to spair, but I am working in Los Angeles, and this area to the Arizona border took 49 meg in version 5. You might want to look at the density in the area you will mostly be caching before making a decision. :anitongue:

Hi Night Stalker.

The 60C with it's 56 meg of memory is three times the amount I currently have in the V. I can get by with the V in my area of Florida by loading just the maps in my local area. When I go on a trip, I load the maps at my destination as well as interesting areas along the way if they'll fit. If not, I have to bring the lap top along to upload new maps as I go along. This is a real pain and may be the ultimate reason to upgrade to the 76CS. I think I'd like the 60C or CS better and it might just be enough memory to work with. Just wonder why Garmin picked 56 meg of memory. Possibly size of the unit?

I'll decide soon.

I recently took a vacation to Glacier National Park. I was able to load maps of the entire route. This not only allowed me to cache along the way, but this unit has the capability of selecting hotels and restaurants for auto-routing. The family was very happy to be able to choose restaurants wherever we were and get there without getting lost. :(