Cache Downloading Software For 60c

sK8z

ok, i've gone through back posts and i havn't really found what im looking for so i figured i'd ask.

i had an etrex legend for a while and got Gsak all set up with my waypoints and descriptions and so on all saved in a database.

i just upgraded to a 60c and i noticed that since its USB i can't use gsak anymore. any suggestions of what i can/should try? i installing the newest version of easygps but i really like gsak... i miss not being able to open multiple files into one import (i have single files with 5-50 caches depending on area i will be driving)

if easy gps can do this let me know how please =0) or if gsak will do usb that would be even better! lol (but i don't think it can due to a base-code limitation)

thx guys =-)

Edited by sK8z

At this point what I do is open the .gpx into GSAK and export it to City Select and from there I download is via USB to my 60C. It sounds like an extra step but I have GSAK and City Select open all of the time anyway. GSAK is too great to dump because of a simple inconvenience.

sK8z: You can combine multiple GPX files with EasyGPS. Here's how I do it:

- Open each of the GPX files you want to send to the GPS

- Select Window -> Tile from the menu bar. This arranges your windows in EasyGPS so you can see them all at once.

- Go to any of the smaller windows, Ctrl-A to select all and then drag and drop them in another window

- Combine all that you want to combine and then send that single GPX file to the GPS.

One thing I have found is the USB transfer is extremely fast so it takes very little time to send multiple GPX files to the GPS.

I hope you like your 60C as much as I do mine. It's a great GPS.

Zack

I use EasyMPS for this purpose with my new Map60C. EasyMPS is a tool that imports .loc EasyGPS files as downloaded from Geocaching.com, .gpx TopoGrafix files as saved by EasyGPS, and .mps and .gdb Mapsource files, and exports them as Mapsource or EasyGPS file format, allowing a few tweaks to the file along the way.

I download pages of .loc files from Geocaching.com, then import them all together using EasyMPS. EasyMPS then opens your MapSource program, if directed, where you can edit and upload directly into your 60C using the USB cable.

Go to: EasyMPS

It's a free download, but I love it so much I donated $30 to his PayPal account. Happy caching!

Oh, I'll also toss in that I think that owners of the VistaC, SummitC, Quest, 96C/S, and such will have the same options. Now I'm hoping that Garmin actually used the same protocol for this entire family instead of making each model speak a slightly different protocol as they did with the serial models...

Oh, I'll also toss in that I think that owners of the VistaC, SummitC, Quest, 96C/S, and such will have the same options.

I have a Legend C and a Vista C and I can confirm that they do.

Now I'm hoping that Garmin actually used the same protocol for this entire family instead of making each model speak a slightly different protocol as they did with the serial models...

I'm not sure about the protocol, but I can tell you that my Legend C and my Vista C use a completely different firmware than my 60CS does. It's identical in nearly everyway as far as functionality goes, but they are definitely different firmwares (possibly due to the different sized screen on the Legend C/Vista C vs. the 60C(S)/76C(S), etc.).

GSAK can be used to upload waypoints to your 60C... I do it all the time. You just need to have the serial cable, which unfortunatly is an extra cost item. You can get them fairly inexpensively on the net or pay thru the nose for the official Garmin cable.

Fortunatly for me, I also have a Garmin V which just happens to use the same serial cable.

Though you dropped the $10 to avoid the problem, that doesn't help others in the same boat.

If everyone that had requested GSAK/GPSBabel support for Garmin/USB support had contributed $1 toward purchasing one (and I would have stepped forwared to donating the programmer time to making it happen) the USB support would have been underway months ago. As it stands, it's only now getting underway as a result of a "float" loan from Clyde and myself. (Garmin doesn't believe in supporting developers with a mere 40,000 users, so feel free to spread the joy their way, too....) I'm personally scheduling about 100 hours of developer/testing time to making this happen.

While the 60C/60CS users took the arrow in the chest, the VistaC/SummitC/96C/Quest users aren't too far behind them...

I'm don't understand what the big deal is all about with having USB support in GSAK??? I use GSAK exclusively for my caches (as it's by far and away the best program out there for doing this in my opinion), and I've never once found the need for having the USB support for my 60CS. I simply use GSAK to export my caches (i.e. waypoints) to MapSource (which came free with my GPSr) and then I export them to the GPSr via USB from MapSource itself. It takes all of about 2 seconds to do so. Sure there's an extra step involved (i.e. one mouse click on a toolbar button), but it's so painless that it really doesn't matter (and heck, GSAK even auto-launches MapSource for me as well). Thus, there's no problem at all....

I'd probably continue doing things this way even if GSAK did support direct export via USB as I really like seeing an overview of all of my caches on the different maps in MapSource.

Personally, I'd much rather see the development time invested in other areas of GPSBabel and GSAK (I'd especially like to see the implementation of the new custom icons that Garmin has so generously provided us all with).

Just my two cents. :anitongue:

If you really want to know why everyone is talking about USB support put to Garmins 60CS's side by side and download 1000 waypoints. Use the older serial connector on 1 and the USB on the other. It shouldn't take long to figure out which one is faster.

I'm not arguing the point about USB vs. serial connections as I totally agree with you that USB is much faster than serial (and so we definitely have a need for USB connections on our GPSr's). My point was/is that you don't need direct USB support in GSAK in order to get your waypoints into your 60C(S) via USB. There's a very good workaround available for doing that and so I don't see what all the "pressure" to get it implemented in GSAK is about (at least for the Garmin units anyway). Sure, it would be nice to have direct USB support in GSAK, but it's not at all necessary (and you definitely wouldn't catch me using a serial cable just to get direct support when using USB via MapSource is a whole lot faster).

thanks for all the great suggestions guys and gals! i've decided on a few different ways, im importing my gsak saved data into easygps for mass upload and also mapsource. mapsource when i care about seeing a map (or if i need to add coverage) or to add additional points to a multi.

im thinking i have to get a serial cable for other uses (streets and trips as well as a few other gps-related apps i use =)

thanks!

My point was/is that you don't need direct USB support in GSAK in order to get your waypoints into your 60C(S) via USB.

Users of OSes that aren't supported by Garmin's USB host software may disagree.

OK, for the GSAK case you can be sure they're on a system Garmin supports, but there are plenty of cachers using other OSes...

Oh, I'll also toss in that I think that owners of the VistaC, SummitC, Quest, 96C/S, and such will have the same options. Now I'm hoping that Garmin actually used the same protocol for this entire family instead of making each model speak a slightly different protocol as they did with the serial models...

Robert! Wake up! You're dreaming again. :blink:

I'm hoping that Garmin actually used the same protocol for this entire family instead of making each model speak a slightly different protocol as they did with the serial models...

Robert! Wake up! You're dreaming again. :blink:

Oh, yes. I forgot that it's Monday and therefore time for the punishment to resume...

"Thank you, Garmin! May I have another?"