Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park

Kealia

Yes, I live in CA now, but was born in Spokane so I feel I have the right to post here :tired: !

I was in Bellevue again on business Tuesday/Wed and decided to expand my cache search area out a bit into Issaquah and surrounding areas. I discovered this Park and was able to grab "Hit the Bricks..." and "Sandstone Falls" Wed morning before catching my flight home.

These caches were exceptional! I loved the hike in, the history of the area and cache locations. These are typically the types of locations/caches that I've put out at home here and was absolutely thrilled to have come across them.

I spent the 2 hours on the flight home looking at the park map and matching areas to the caches in PDA. Looks like there are many more that I need to hit!

I plan on going back to this park on my next few visits, and will be bringing some California GeoCoins as well as my new sig items as soon as they are done.

I'll drop a note when I know my return dates and hopefully I'll be able to meet a cacher or two to join me on some caches in the park.

For now, accept this post as a great big THANKS to everybody who has placed caches in this park.

Cougar MountainRegional Wildland Park!

Mrs. GEM’s and I met up with Mountain Mule and his wife at the Red Town trailhead .We picked up a map and crossed the street and hiked up the Coal Creek Trail to Hit the bricks or follow the cinder trail by agff3 (GCGWZ2) then on to Sandstone Falls by UWdawg (GC3AB4) and back to Red Town. This was a route suggested by Weightman in the forums…and well worth the trip!

From there we decided to take Hazard’s suggestion and park one car at his Secondary parking location which is N47 31.622 W122 08.508 and another car was parked at the Wilderness Creek Trailhead on Hwy 900. We started our hike on the Marshall’s Hill Trail at the Secondary parking location and hit the De Leo Wall trail to pick up the Newcastle, De Leo Wall Cache by Hazard (GCH8XH). We took the Indian trail to the Far Country Trail to pick up Newcastle, Far Country Lookout Cache by Hazard (GCHF1V) and had lunch at this great location, I think that is Renton out there. Next we headed to the Shy Bear Trail pas the Deceiver Trail and decided to approach the Long View Peak by Mierissa (GCHBBK) from the back side. Mountain Mule and I placed a new cache at the intersection of the Shy Bear, Wilderness Peak, Long View Peak, and the Wilderness Creek Trails at Shy Bear Pass. Finally, we headed out to our second car down the Wilderness Creek Trail to the Trailhead on Hwy 900. But on the way we couldn’t resist the opportunity to place another cache (bison) at “The Boulders”.

This was a great day and I want to thank all cachers who put caches together and gave us advice…I recommend this route! We’ll definitely be back to get the remaining caches in this cool park!

GEM’s

Matthew 6:33

No promises; it's all in the client's hands. My job would be great if it weren't for the clients! :huh:

By the way, found a few of yours (M.A) in/around Kelsey Park. Lots of fun!

Boy I know that feeling.

It looks like any weekday caching I do will be severely curtailed for the next few weeks and the weekends will be utterly impossible.

Ok it looks like plans finalized today.

I'm coming in on the 30th (Thursday) for client meetings and dinner.

Come Friday morning I'm free but have to head home Friday afternoon.

I haven't booked my flight yet, but I think the return flight to San Jose leaves around 3:45 so I should have all morning to cache the park - woo hoo!

Sorry it's not the weekend, but is anybody game for meeting me at the Park to do some caching? I'll defer the hike details to one of you (where to meet, which caches to hit, etc.) I've only done two in that Park (Hit the Bricks..... and Sandstone Falls) so I am totally flexible as to which ones to go after.

I'll also be bringing home (to WA) a TB that belongs to Moun10Bike (as well as a couple of CA coins and my sig shotglasses).

Let the good times roll.

Ok, I just pulled out the park map and took a quick look.

My thoughts would be to meet at either the main parking lot (Red Town Trailhead, right?) off Lakemont Blvd, or to meet at the trailhead off 900 (renton/Issaquah Road SE).

Again, I'm stabbing in the dark here and will defer to your judgement. I do recall reading about the caches in the area and thought they all seemed pretty interesting (De Leo Wall, NewCastle Far COuntry Lookout, Long View Peak, etc.)

I'm game for anything. I've got a few hides here at home amongst the Redwoods that are about 800 foot elevation changes so I'm not opposed to a good workout (for refernce I'm 34 and in pretty good shape).

Let's see who else wants to play and then go with the majority? Sound good?

How much time do we have for this? Jester did the loop from SR 900 recently and it took him about three hours.

I have done the three reachable from Red Town, but we could meet there and car pool to De Leo Wall or Gnat Fest or even Far Country Look Out. I did plot all the caches on my NG Topo and find it interesting that the trails shown on the county map don't show on NG. That is especially true of the SR 900 trail head.

I might mention that Coals to Newcastle is still active, but according to EGH it is gone and probably should be archived.

Edit: I am almost 62 and not in that good of shape as MA will attest.

Edited by WeightMan
How much time do we have for this?

Depends on what time we get started I suppose :mad: .

My flight home out of SEA-TAC isn't until around 4:00 actually so I have more time that I thought. That being said, I'l lwant to have time to cool down and stop sweating (maybe change clothes) before heading to the airport.

Since I'll have to chekc out in the morning, I'll need a bit of time to cool off and clean up without the benefit of a hotel room.

I'm not opposed to an early start (read 8:30 or so so I have time for breakfast).

I don't want to take anybody on a grueling hike to hit them all either. I'll be back in just a few weeks (maybe a month at most) since my client is picking up again. We can do a few on one side of the park this trip then I cna hit the other side next time I'm out.

There are still a few caches in the Bellevue area that I need to revist as well.

MA's Hidden Valley stumped my at WP1 a few months back (although I believe it was gone when I was there), and the other is a multi-micor by Mr. E (I think) called Are You Nuts?

Ok it looks like plans finalized today.

I'm coming in on the 30th (Thursday) for client meetings and dinner.

Come Friday morning I'm free but have to head home Friday afternoon.

I haven't booked my flight yet, but I think the return flight to San Jose leaves around 3:45 so I should have all morning to cache the park - woo hoo!

Sorry it's not the weekend, but is anybody game for meeting me at the Park to do some caching? I'll defer the hike details to one of you (where to meet, which caches to hit, etc.) I've only done two in that Park (Hit the Bricks..... and Sandstone Falls) so I am totally flexible as to which ones to go after.

I'll also be bringing home (to WA) a TB that belongs to Moun10Bike (as well as a couple of CA coins and my sig shotglasses).

Let the good times roll.

That would be just too cool. In town on my birthday! I'll try to be there guys!

Awesome!

In a strange twist of fate Jeremy was actually in my neck of the woods earlier this week and logged one of my caches! Woo hoo!

I was hoping for a special logo that I could put on the cache page (similiar to a TB or GeoCoin logo) that would say "Jeremy cached here". This was the best I could come up with.

Back on topic: I'm going to leave the "planning" to you all if you don't mind. As mentioned earlier I've only hit 2 caches in the park so I'm open to aNY of the others. This way you guys can coordinate which caches you haven't hit and plan the hike accordingly.

(Probably sounds suspiciously like passing hte buck, eh?)

Good news too, I just went to the mail and received my next order of CA Geocoins! More goodies to bring.....

From another thread -

What do you guys know about these two?

GC79, Iron Horse & Mission 9: Tunnel of Light, which will get you a special Project APE Cache icon?

I did those two along with Avalanche Shed for #300. There are two ways to go on those. After Nov. 1 there is only one way until after May 1 since the tunnel closes for the winter. One way is what MA did by going through the tunnel either on foot or on a bike. The tunnel is two miles long. There is a cache at the east end of the tunnel called Iron Horse East and one in the tunnel called Bloody Fingers Dirty Diapers. Coming out of the tunnel you will find Iron Horse and Tunnel of Light is a bit further on. Yes you will get the Project Ape logo on your find totals by doing that one. The other way is to park at Asahel Curtis Campground (picnic ground?) and hike up the Annette Lake trail to the Iron Horse trail. The elevation gain is about 400 feet or so with the start around 2800 feet give or take. I went in that way and took about 4 hours to get in, get the three caches and get back out. Avalanche Shed is west of the Annette Lake trail on the Iron Horse trail.

I will probably need to be back home by 1:00 in order to make my football assignment that afternoon. I am considering backing out because I will need to be there for three games which will take about 8 hours and will need to pay attention during the games. I'm still thinking about it.

Another option (and I'm open that day too, though I've done all the caches in the park) is to start at the gate on 166th, hitting the multi just near-by (can't think of name), up to Gnat Fest, and then down thru the middle of the park (several caches) and back to Red Town (where you have left an extra car for the shuttle). If you need a shower my house is on the way to the airport. I'm out of town this weekend, but will check back Monday.

That sounds good, too.

Weightman, I'm not going to hit those this trip although a 2-mile tunnel sounds extremely cool!

Hope you can make it for a bit- I'll keep an eye on this thread (of course) to see how things pan out.

Maybe Wed night we can post a few options for trailheads/hikes and vote on which one to to do??

All, thanks for the efforts so far - you really are a great bunch.

(Although I reserve the right to change my mind after meeting in person :huh: )

No, I don't have to work Friday night, but I'm leaving Friday to avoid meeting those of you with normal scheudles :( .

All kidding aside, I'll be back in a few weeks I'm sure and do plan on staying at least one night over the w/e (even if it's just Friday night so I can meet others on Saturday).

The main reason that I'm not on this trip is that work has been really hectic lately and I've been doing a bit more traveling/late nights at work than normal. I haven't been able to spend as much time with my daughter as normal lately so I don't want to be gone too long.

I'm Daddy before I'm a cacher (yes, I reproduced!)

So, once things settle back down and I have to come back to my client again I'll plan on staying at least part of a weekend. Heck, I'll even bring Mrs. Kealia - she's definitely the one you'd want to meet anyway (looks much better in the loincloth).

Criminal, I hope it works out where we can meet on a future trip. I need to kick your a** for something you said in the main forums a while back; kidding of course. But I do hoep our paths cross on a future trip.

Do I read the map right in that it would be about 2.5 miles for the total hike?

Not problem, just curious.

I can meet early so that we get this done by late morning if it helps you guys.

Again, just let me know the final decision and coords/parking/meeting area!

Looking forward to it!

That's what it looks like, but given what the map shows and the reality of the trail system, it could be as much as 4 miles. Does anybody have some real track info on this?

Unless I'm mistaken (which isn't rare), it looks like the parking coordinates for Hidden Water Tower is at the Red Town Trailhead N47°32.051' W122°07.693'. And if I miss my guess, the Wildernes Creek Trailhead is N47°30.638' W122°05.219'.

An 8:30 start time still sounds good. Snickers and I can meet whomever at the Wilderness Creek Trailhead and leave my jeep there. I plan on leaving Kirkland at 6AM to get past most of the rush hour traffic and find my way to the trailhead as I'm quite unfamiliar with that area. That'll also give him time to sniff about and get his morning business out of the way before we start... as well as give me time to handle any flats I might encounter along the way. <_< Still gunshy on that one. :blink:

Anyway, if Friday morning proves to be like the rest of the week, we'll encounter grey skies for most of the morning before seeing a burnoff in the afternoon. This is probably the coolest Indian Summer I've seen in a while around here.

Use this link to view the pdf file and zoom in at the Red Town Trailhead. Unless this is bad info, you will see gates blocking the way according to the legend.

Edited to add:

I do see something interesting though. If these roads aren't closed off, then there is a closer access point to the Hidden Water Tower. N47°31.697' W122°08.659' . That's about a 60' elevation gain in about 300 feet straight line from 148th AVE SE to the nearest trail.

Edited by TotemLake

No, you need to know the secret handshake to get the coords for the hidden water tower access. I noted the location on the edited map. The coords are N47 31.528 W122 08.575 (looks like a driveway). It is access via a residential nieghborhood.

I don't have the coords handy for the Wilderness trail parking but it is just a bit north of the May Valley road on 900.

I can meet Kealia, and anyone else doing the whole hike, at the Wilderness trail parking lot. For those doing a partial you probably should park at the water tank. We could meet you there. Kelia didn't you suggest 8:30?

edit: Bad typing skills

Edited by MarcusArelius

Using NG TOPO and where I think the 900 trailhead is, I get 47° 30.276 and 122° 5.565. I may well be driving by this location tomorrow and will double check the coords.

I will plan on being at the hidden watertower trailhead at 8:30. I assume you will need to meet at SR 900 about 8:15 or so to get there by then.

Ok - Snickers and I will be at the Wilderness Creek TH waiting for pickup.

WM, those coordinates puts the parking south of where the pdf file shows it so I'll be interested to see your possible update on this.

Unless there are objections, let's stick with 8:30 at the Hidden Water Tower TH. It's a good start time. This allows for traffic and any accidents that can hose things up. I'll have FRS channel 2 on.