Caches Along Us 70 In Indiana & Illinois

Pipanella

We're going to be heading south from the Fort Wayne, IN area to the St. Louis area, to visit relatives. We'll take 69 south to INdianapolis, then 70 the rest of the way. I can search for caches that are along the way, but maybe some of you know some nice quick ones that we could do that are right along that way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

As a local, yeah...if you're coming this way be sure to stop through Terre Haute to nab several caches. Many of them can be done very quickly. Be sure to check out 3rd St. through Terre Haute as you'll find a few up and down it.

In the past, when I've traveled an interstate, I've looked at the geocaching.com maps and gone through the tedious process of clicking and panning the map through the whole journey. It takes a while, but you'll get several good results.

Bret

We're going to be heading south from the Fort Wayne, IN area to the St. Louis area, to visit relatives. We'll take 69 south to INdianapolis, then 70 the rest of the way. I can search for caches that are along the way, but maybe some of you know some nice quick ones that we could do that are right along that way?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hey...I'll be making a similar trip in September. But I'll be coming from Rochester, NY. Traveling through the western edge of PA, almost all of Ohio and across Indiana, and Illinois and ending up in MO, just outside of St. Louis.

hmmmm could this be a coincidence? Could we have the same parents?

Here is a quick one just off of I-69 that is located in a one-of-a-kind area. Read the log comments to see for yourself!

BEHIND THE SUN

Ohhhhhhhhh..........I was afraid it was one of your infamous micros!! I don't know if we'll ever be back to try Mr. Natural's Micro again, but that one still haunts me!!

I put this one on our list, as well as the others! You guys are awesome!

We are going to be heading to Kentucky next weekend and wanted to do the same thing. If you use pocket queries I would recommend the Geocaching Swiss Army Knife. You can do PQ's and filter them along a route (say 5 miles on either side). We are going from Chicago- Henderson- Paducah- Mt. Vernon- St. Louis- Springfield- Chicago. I am doing the whole route with GSAK and it is looking great!

The way I'm doing it is overlaping PQ's and filtering them along the route. Total Caches in PQ's: 3500+, will be filtered to less than 500.

I live in Indianapolis and visit my St Louis sister often, so I've done a few between here and there. We especially enjoyed these:

Sitting with a Friend

Sarah's Treasure

Under Cover

and one is on the short list for another day. Didn't notice til we go to the park that I had accidently deleted the waypoint, so we didn't hunt it that day. But it's a very pretty park, and well worth pulling off the interstate to see it:

Timber #1

Hey, why are you getting more posts to your trip thread than I did, Pip?  :P

Probobly because it was original not posted in the Midwest fourm. Not everyone in the Midwest reads the Midwest fourm.

That may be it, because I never read the regional forums. Maybe I should start!

Here is a quick one just off of I-69 that is located in a one-of-a-kind area. Read the log comments to see for yourself!

BEHIND THE SUN

Ohhhhhhhhh..........I was afraid it was one of your infamous micros!! I don't know if we'll ever be back to try Mr. Natural's Micro again, but that one still haunts me!!

This one is a one star difficulty - really! But, it may haunt you for a different reason...

BEHIND THE SUN

This one is a one star difficulty - really! But, it may haunt you for a different reason...

We plan to do that one. :lol:

I just checked the 'other' listing.......wow.......looks like our DNF is in good company! :blink: And yes, that does make us feel better. ;)

Our trip is next week. We're not sure when we're leaving or coming back yet. Lots of stuff going on here at home with both us and the girls, so we're playing it by ear.

Hey, why are you getting more posts to your trip thread than I did, Pip?

Quite possibly because she's drop-dead gorgeous!!!

Just an objective opinion... :blink:

(edit: Midwestern chivalry requires me to amend this post to state that Ambrosia appears to be quite attractive also, no offense to either party intended...)

Edited by Team Flashncache

BEHIND THE SUN

We plan to do that one. ;)

I just checked the 'other' listing.......wow.......looks like our DNF is in good company! :o And yes, that does make us feel better. :o

Our trip is next week. We're not sure when we're leaving or coming back yet. Lots of stuff going on here at home with both us and the girls, so we're playing it by ear.

Keep in mind that there is a NASCAR race in Indy on Sunday, 8/8. Any travel on the west side of I-465 or I-70 through downtown will be extremely slow Sunday morning. After the race the entire interstate system I-465, I-69, I-70 and I-74 will be very busy leaving the city.

Hey, why are you getting more posts to your trip thread than I did, Pip?

Quite possibly because she's drop-dead gorgeous!!!

Just an objective opinion... :o

(edit: Midwestern chivalry requires me to amend this post to state that Ambrosia appears to be quite attractive also, no offense to either party intended...)

icon_redface.gif You're too kind. And yes, Ambrosia is quite attractive. But thank you. Compliments are always nice to hear.

BEHIND THE SUN

I just checked the 'other' listing.......wow.......looks like our DNF is in good company! :o And yes, that does make us feel better. :o

Keep in mind that there is a NASCAR race in Indy on Sunday, 8/8. Any travel on the west side of I-465 or I-70 through downtown will be extremely slow Sunday morning. After the race the entire interstate system I-465, I-69, I-70 and I-74 will be very busy leaving the city.

That's probably the day we'll leave. But we'll start out early. What would you suggest? It takes about 2½ hours to get to Indy from home......

BEHIND THE SUN

That's probably the day we'll leave. But we'll start out early. What would you suggest? It takes about 2½ hours to get to Indy from home......

If you're hitting I-465 from about 8AM until Noon you may want to stay on I-65 all the way downtown and meet up with I-70 then head west. As soon as you hit I-70 get over into the left lane and book on past the race fans heading to the speedway.

If you're hitting Indy after the race, same game plan except you're gonna be creeping once you hit the far west side.

Avoid I-465, ESPECIALLY the northwest section. Period.

WIBC 1070AM radio should have good traffic information.

Have fun and pack a lot of patience, you picked a tough day to pass through Indy.

The best plan may be to leave early and take I-70 West from the eastside through the city to the westside. As Torry said, avoid I-465 on the westside.

Now, I have to decide the best way to get from I-69 to the speedway!

Leave early. The Indy 500 traffic is about half what it used to be but the Brickyard will pack them in. There's construction on I-465 around Michigan (421), 86th St., etc.

16th Street will be a mess with construction.

It's looking like a northern approach down Georgetown may be best ....

but I digress ....

HEY PIP! You're right about taking I-465 around the east side and picking up I-70. (A quick side trip for Nesser's Roach Motel? ) Sorry my instructions were off.

I live in Indianapolis and visit my St Louis sister often, so I've done a few between here and there. We especially enjoyed these:

Sitting with a Friend

Sarah's Treasure

Under Cover

and one is on the short list for another day. Didn't notice til we go to the park that I had accidently deleted the waypoint, so we didn't hunt it that day. But it's a very pretty park, and well worth pulling off the interstate to see it:

Timber #1

We did Under Cover and Timber #1. Loved them both, but especially Timber #1. Picked up a Geocoin in that one! It was my first Geocoin! :huh: