Going It Alone?

Much to my disappointment, my husband confided to me that he really doesn't enjoy geocaching all that much. (We've only been at it for a month or so now.) I guess following your wife around in the woods isn't exactly his idea of a good time. I really enjoy it, and I don't want to stop, but I'm a bit nervous about geocaching on my own. I'm pretty small in stature, and don't want to get into any situations that I can't get out of on my own. Does anyone out there have a spouse that doesn't share their interest, and if so, how do you handle it? :tired:

My wife could easily live without seeing another cache :tired: , I on the other hand scan daily for a new one... :tired:

Most of my friends that cache have a sig. other that is just not into it so we all cache solo...no big deal but then we are mostly guys, and big ones at that...

I would check the local forums to find a "buddy" in your area. It is almost always more fun with company...

Get a geodoggie. They always love to come along. Get anything about lab size or bigger and not only will no one bother you, but you can use them to carry gear. Also, if you hold a baggie no one ever asks what you are doing.

This is Sparkle, she geocaches with my brother in law and his girlfriend. They did Mt Si last weekend.

230c3936-1409-4cfc-9c14-20b62e9158df.jpg

I am female and am often alone when geocaching. Usually, I don't feel uncomfortable, but I admit, I generally stick to urban or short hike caches when going solo.

Although last week, I was going to attempt a weekday morning hike near some scenic waterfalls. When I got to the parking area, there was a large group of men hanging out in the parking area lounging in and around the beds of their pickups nad SUVs. I didn't really feel great about getting out and beginning the hike, so I bagged it for the morning. In reality, they were probably completely harmless, but I figured better safe than sorry.

Much to my disappointment, my husband confided to me that he really doesn't enjoy geocaching all that much. (We've only been at it for a month or so now.) I guess following your wife around in the woods isn't exactly his idea of a good time. I really enjoy it, and I don't want to stop, but I'm a bit nervous about geocaching on my own. I'm pretty small in stature, and don't want to get into any situations that I can't get out of on my own. Does anyone out there have a spouse that doesn't share their interest, and if so, how do you handle it? :tired:

Same here. I hate going by myself, and honestly, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable going with anothe guy that I've never met or don't know. That's why I haven't done any caching in awhile. My oldest daughter (24) likes to go with me, but she's not into it that much, either, and she lives 20 miles away and works a lot.

I feel your pain. Wish you lived close to me!

I only go out alone. Part of the point of caching for me is making up for a lifetime of having a lousy sense of direction and not navigating well. I adore it! My GPSr makes me feel like Superweasel!

I particularly like forest trails and, yes, sometimes it does worry me to be back in the boonies all by myself. I'm in New England, though, so I'm hardly ever so far from civilization that I can't hear the sound of a highway.

I keep a couple of things in mind. For one, I'm statistically far more likely to get hurt driving to the cache site. For another, the lovely silence of the forest means a scream carries really, really far. I carry a stick, I walk with a purpose and so far anybody I've bumped into seemed more afraid of me.

Geez, do I look that crazy?

I'm a female and sometimes cache alone, too. On the days that I cache alone, I always bring pepper spray and sometimes other self-defense items. It usually depends on what types of caches I plan to find.

Lately, I've been caching fewer times alone. I would just invite family and friends to join me. Eventually you will find that one of them is just as addicted to caching that you are. Et voila!! A regular caching partner you will find.

Good luck and be careful.

I feel your pain :tired: So far I have not made my first find for several reasons - #1 I would like to have someone go with me on the first one so I get a better feel for not looking suspicious to the muggles and #2 I want to feel comfortable with what I'm doing before I go do it "all alone". I think once I get the hang of it, I'll be fine...although I'm sure there are many that I'll never attempt on my own! I'm not exactly the sporty type (LOL) and I'm also not small and petite :tired: and I'll work myself up to some of the challenges! I've been in contact with a local lady I found by searching the caches near me and contacting people that look local and I hope to meet up with her this weekend. I know I'll never attempt a multi-mile hike and climb to get some of these more remote caches and that's okay - I want this to be a fun hobby that I enjoy myself AND also get out and GO.

Anyway, I hope you find someone local to go with!!! If you're ever in the Texas Panhandle let me know!

Hugs

pam ;)

Tyr posting in your regioanl forum and I'm sure that you will get plenty of offers from other cahcers to meet up with you and do some caching.

Start off in a group if you're uncomfortable going with just one other person and go from there.

I've met nothing but great people while caching and had many offers for locals to meet up with me while traveling.

Take advantage of the shared enjoyment and meet soem people.

OR, organize and event cache in your area to meet other cachers and have the chance to meet and chat with a lot of them at the same time. It's a great way to make new friends and I guarantee you'll end up with a caching buddy.

I generally cache alone, and I don't expect that to change much. I have cached with other humans, and I really enjoy it, but because I'm slower and far stinkier than other people, I figure it's better to make my own way rather than slowing other folks down.

Maybe I'll meet a similarly slow & odiferous cacher, and if we're not allergic to each other.. hey, you never know!

Not having a regular caching buddy doesn't stop me from going out though. If it did, I wouldn't be caching, and I don't care for that alternative. I do try to be sensible, and I've arrived near a cache and decided not to do it --mostly because of sketchy-lookin' humans, and sometimes because I recognize that the terrain is going to be too much, or too much to do before nightfall, etc.

If not having a caching buddy -is- slowing you down, I'd vote for finding one. Maybe look on the regional forums, like folks suggested, and then go out the first time or two with him/her -and- your husband. That'll at least give you a chance to size him/her up before going out with them alone.

../Mosaica

Ooh I thought this was about something else :tired: . But I'll reply anyway.

My wife is bored silly by the whole concept of geocaching, but I can't wait to go find the next cache. I used to go alone a lot, but now I frequently go out with the other members of Team CHB. I still enjoy some quiet 'me' time away from my responsibilities, but also enjoy the comraderie on the hunt.

Attend the next nearby event so you can meet some like minded souls.

As Kealia already suggested, post in the local board or forums.

Try some urban micros so you're not out in the woods alone.

Hide some more caches. From reading the logs you may get a sense of who you might enjoy a hike with. Happy trails, and have fun.

A female alone can be a victim before she can reach for the Bear Spray (a much more potent form of pepper spray that may or may not work on bears).

All the areas where it is safe to cache, you have muggle problems. It becomes very daunting.

So far, I don't seem to have the same mindset as the rest of the cachers around here. But that can always change, as people do.

I think this is why I haven't cached in a long time. I have just about given up on it. :tired:

Much to my disappointment, my husband confided to me that he really doesn't enjoy geocaching all that much.

Did he say why he didn't like it? Perhaps you should let him use the GPS and take the lead or do something to get him more involved. That worked for Donna.

Zack

Both my husband and I are addicted but I find that I cache on my own quite a bit because I am a teacher and have the summers off. I try the longer caches on my own on purpose because I really enjoy being outside and walking. Sometimes I invite friends and I also look at MIGO (our local association) for events and others to cache with. I agree with others who suggest letting your husband take charge of the GPS. My husband and I switch off controlling it and part of the fun of caching for us are the "arguments" about where we should be heading. Try combining cache hunts with something he likes and he may enjoy it more.

As I said in another thread:

-take a young person from church - a niece, or nephew

-I have a 100 lb. black dog who goes often

- an exercise buddy, etc.

My wife has a serious handicap, and can not take long walks, but I'm not sure that's relevant. I think she'd just be negative anyway. But my feeling about the topic originator is that you could make your husband feel special about caching, or at least about being with you. Men are easy. What he wants more than anything in the world is your appreciation and approval. If you tie that to this time together - I'm just bettin' he'd respond.

I started caching alone then took a buddy who loves it so most of the time we go together, but the times we don't I am just more careful. Urban, short hikes, local parks. I insure I have my cell phone and stay alert to those around me.

Try an event cache in your area to meet other cachers and let them know you are looking for someone to cache with. Or try inviting a friend you already have to go with you to see if they like it.

I almost always cache alone. Mr. Calipidder comes along if it's a good hike, and sometimes we'll combine interests (he'll be rockclimbing in a park while I find all the caches nearby). But, I solo hiked and backpacked before becoming a geocacher so it never really bothered me, to be honest. I like the alone time because I rarely get it at home or at work.

I generally go caching alone. Sometimes I can talk my wife and/or younger daughter into picking one off with me. My older daughter seems to want nothing to do with it. She's 18, going to college, has a particular boy on her mind, works, etc. That's fine.

I actually like going alone most of the time. I'm lucky, in one sense, because I'm probably the biggest, baddest thing in my forests when I go caching at 6'2" and tipping the scales over 300 lbs. :( On the other hand, tipping the scales at over 300 lbs. means I'm not really ever caching alone... It's always me and my friend, me. :( But I'm working on that part...

Much to my disappointment, my husband confided to me that he really doesn't enjoy geocaching all that much. (We've only been at it for a month or so now.) I guess following your wife around in the woods isn't exactly his idea of a good time. I really enjoy it, and I don't want to stop, but I'm a bit nervous about geocaching on my own. I'm pretty small in stature, and don't want to get into any situations that I can't get out of on my own. Does anyone out there have a spouse that doesn't share their interest, and if so, how do you handle it? :(

I often go alone. If the area gives me a bad vibe, I will just skip that cache. I also have several friends who enjoy caching and we go together quite a bit. We don't all have the same work schedule so I would say that about 50% of the time, I am on my own. I prefer having friends along but I actually enjoy going alone sometimes. It's nice to take a break and not have to worry about if anyone else is enjoying themselves or what their schedule is.

My husband loves to do difficult caches (mentally or physically) but doesn't really care for the easier ones. He goes with me sometimes but isn't a cache freak like I am.

Just be aware of your surroundings if you go alone. Like I said, if the area or the people make you nervous, skip the cache and try it again when you have a friend along.

And just because you are 'small in stature' doesn't mean you can't defend yourself. If anyone messes with me, they are getting my swag bag upside their head and my nails digging into their face. :huh::(

Just be sure to always carry your cellphone, tell a friend when you go caching and when you plan on coming back (and let them know the general area you will be in).

Don't worry, you'll do just fine on your own. Try posting in your regional forums and see if someone would like to join you on your cache hunts. Or go to your local events to meet other cachers that like to go in groups.

A female alone can be a victim before she can reach for the Bear Spray (a much more potent form of pepper spray that may or may not work on bears).

All the areas where it is safe to cache, you have muggle problems. It becomes very daunting.

So far, I don't seem to have the same mindset as the rest of the cachers around here. But that can always change, as people do.

I think this is why I haven't cached in a long time. I have just about given up on it. :(

I frequently encounter females hiking alone in the woods and on a couple of instances, backpacking. Though I never asked, I guess their attitude is that the chances of something happening is about the same as getting struck by lightning and they are't willing to let fear get in the way of their enjoyment of the outdoors.

My wife has gone out on hikes alone, though oddly enough, when she does she does so on more remote, or rarely ysed trails because she feels safer. I think most people would feel safer with other people around though.

I go caching alone to bag high numbers for the day, something that my daughter doesn't enjoy, and to pass the time when my daughter is with her mom. I also enjoy caching with my daughter, obviously, and with groups from two people to fifteen (more than that and it's a zoo).

Until recently, my personal safety awareness was at its peak when I hiked in remote areas. If I'm by myself, I'll take the safer but longer route up the steep slope, and I keep a closer watch on my surroundings (gee, those are bear tracks... duly noted). Unfortunately, the back country is not necessarily where you need to be the most cautious.

A few hundred caches ago, I was stalked and assaulted in a suburban park while searching for two caches there. I got out of it O.K., and learned that I had a better left uppercut than I had thought. (He was holding my right arm.) Since then, I've been learning to be much more aware of my surroundings REGARDLESS of where I am.... urban, suburban or remote. I also need to order some pepper spray.

So this isn't just a female thing. Please be careful.

I probably cache alone 10-15% of the time. I'm real lucky in that I have a wife that enjoys it (I think) almost as much as I do. We do urban and boon-docks caches.

She does get pooped-out sonner that me, so, she might stay in the Brute for the last couple of the day, but most of the time, she's right there beside me.

When I do go on my own, I have a hiking stick that I take along. It's good for those trails that go up and down, and, if I had to, would make a fine club.

Try to get your husband to tell you why he doesn't like it. Up earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that he might want to use the Gizmo. That might be it.

Lep, you're just too cute for your own safety!

Back on topic:

Start with your regional forums. You may be surprised how many local cachers are female using gender-neutral nicknames. You may find another single caching partner. That happened with Planet and Ttepee. The two women are best friends now. Don't limit it to women. Consider caching with a group of locals. After you get to know them, you may feel more comfortable about caching solo with a guy. Planet and I often cache together now when nobody else is around. Consider firearm training and a carry permit. Chances are you will never need to use it, but most attackers would rather move on to an easier target then deal with an armed (and confident) female.

As I said in another thread:

-take a young person from church - a niece, or nephew

-I have a 100 lb. black dog who goes often

- an exercise buddy, etc.

My wife has a serious handicap, and can not take long walks, but I'm not sure that's relevant. I think she'd just be negative anyway. But my feeling about the topic originator is that you could make your husband feel special about caching, or at least about being with you. Men are easy. What he wants more than anything in the world is your appreciation and approval. If you tie that to this time together - I'm just bettin' he'd respond.

was gunna ask what made you so smart - then I went to look at your profile - questions answered -

sorry 'bout yer wife -

I have a handicap also (broken back) but I get around with a cane - have to keep bugging my wife (who likes caching w/ me) because she is so slow - tell her "...and I'm the one with the three legged handicap!" - she just gives me a look and wiggles her little butt a little faster for a while.

I have a handicap also (broken back) but I get around with a cane - have to keep bugging my wife (who likes caching w/ me) because she is so slow - tell her "...and I'm the one with the three legged handicap!" - she just gives me a look and wiggles her little butt a little faster for a while.

Well, if she's the one in front, that's a bonus!

Pretty much the same situation here. I've become rabid about geocaching, while I think my husband tolerates it. My solution is to plan things he likes to do (i.e., fishing) and get in a few caches on the way to or from the lakes we fish. That said, I still cache alone about 75% of the time. I do have one friend interested in learning to use her GPSr and plan on dragging her along on a few caches. Hopefully she'll enjoy it and then we can combine my two hobbies: caching and horseback riding.

I hope you find a fun solution. It's no fun caching alone when you'd rather have company.

Starting with the forums is a great idea - although, when I started caching and looked for a female partner in my regional forum, I didn't get any interest. But the sport is growing in popularity daily, so you just might get lucky.

I would also suggest goiing to a local geomeet. That way, you can meet people, men and women, face to face and get an idea of who might be a good caching buddy. I've met a lot of people at meets, and now have new friends. Don't automatically rule out the guys - I've found that the vast majority of the male cachers in my area are just nice, "ordinary" (if you can call fanatical tupperware hunters that!) people - in fact, the two people I cache most often with are guys that I met through the site.

Though I now have people I go out with often, I did my first 100 or so caches alone for the most part, and I still enjoy longs runs alone at times. If an area creeps me out, I wait for company. When I go alone, I try to keep my hike under a mile, have a whistle and cell phone with me, and pay attention to my surroundings. The only "creepy" guys I have come across in the woods are the variety that are NOT looking for MY company....

Funny, I've hiked miles in the woods alone, but I got mugged less than two blocks from my house in a small town - you just never know.

Good luck on your quest.

90% of the time I'm alone or with just Bella. I suppose a dog could make you feel safer but Bella would just lick a potential attacker to death. I think you're pretty safe in the woods but if it makes you feel better just get yourself a stun gun or mace.

And for the record, following MY wife around in the woods is exactly my idea of a good time. :(

Edited by JMBella
if it makes you feel better just get yourself a stun gun

Check the local laws on stun guns (and mace). In CT, to carry a stun gun (or throwing stars or throwing knives) you need a special "dangerous weapons" permit and training, in addition to the concealed carry permit and training needed to carry a handgun.

And for the record, following MY wife around in the woods is exactly my idea of a good time.

For the record, following jmbella's wife around in the woods is my idea of a good time too! :(

Edited by Mopar

Check the local laws on stun guns (and mace). In CT, to carry a stun gun (or throwing stars or throwing knives) you need a special "dangerous weapons" permit and training, in addition to the concealed carry permit and training needed to carry a handgun.

And for the record, following MY wife around in the woods is exactly my idea of a good time.

For the record, following jmbella's wife around in the woods is my idea of a good time too! :(

For the record: My wife carries a stun gun. :(

snip

Does anyone out there have a spouse that doesn't share their interest, and if so, how do you handle it? :D

I have an ex spouse who hasn't appeared too interested when I've said our kids would like her to go with us sometime. But I guess that doesn't exactly count.

I just started but expect I'll be doing it alone mostly, like most other things.

And no, I'm not here to find single female cachers :P I'm too much an odd duck to hope for anything like that....

Edited by roveron

I am a woman who caches alone 90% of the time, and I love it.

I am an avid hiker, biker and runner, so I seek out long trail caches in the forest. The combination of solitude in mother nature is the greatest way to shed my worries, clear out my neuroses and refresh my spirit.

A few times while bushwacking through sketchy terrain I have regretted not giving more info to my hubby about exactly where I was going- but I have never been scared of the boogieman. He is an outdoorsman and sometimes comes along for the hike, but he thinks hunting the box is silly-just doesn't get it.

I did a cache last fall( alone of couse)- Hawk Mountain Lookout, and I had to hike in the snow. I came across mountain lion tracks, some very fresh! Got some great photos. I was nervous for awhile, but I rehearsed lion enounter procedures and pressed on. It did add a special little thrill to my trip. Never saw the cougar.

Several times I have invited others to join me on adventure caches in the forums. No one has joined me, I must be some kind of leper. I know of no other female cachers in this area who do "adventure caching" without their male partners. Wish I could find one for an occasional team hunt.

I say go for it woman, you don't need no stinkin man!

I've been alone in most all things all my life, and it's always been a matter of: go alone, or don't do anything or go anywhere ever again for my entire life. So I do lots of things alone, and have no fear or qualms about it. Then came caching, and I love doing that alone, but after a couple of near misses with hostile dogs, I got a little smarter, and as other here have said, always carry pepper spray and a strong hiking stick.

As to the fear of fellow human beings, well up until recently, I was so huge and fat and ugly that no one would bother me, because when you look like that, most people just look through you; they don't want to think too much about people different than themselves and they certainly don't want to interact with you. Also, growing up with 3 older brothers taught me alot about protecting myself in hand-to-hand combat. But then came caching; I lost alot of weight and can no longer count on the repulsion factor. People look at me now, and meet my eyes and smile and say hi. (How bizarre! I never knew...)

But I digress. Take a look at my profile. You'll see that I included an invitation for a caching buddy, and have had two answers. One of them caches with me almost every week; the other didn't work because of work schedule conflicts. Every time you write an interesting Found It! log, or place a new cache, someone local may well check your profile. That's how I found my caching friend.

You can also try introducing new people to the game. Invite coworkers or aquaintances from other walks of your life to join you. That's how I got my other caching partner, and he joins me sporadically, when his schedule permits. I took him out once, and the next day he called me up and invited me to go shopping for a GPS with him! He was instantly hooked.

I still cache alone often, when my friends can't play, and I love the peace of the still woods when I'm alone. It can be a whole lot more fun with a friend along, but solitude is sweet too. I'm finding that I save some types of caches (urban caches, or long hikes especially) for days when I have someone with me, tho.

Get a geodoggie. They always love to come along. Get anything about lab size or bigger and not only will no one bother you, but you can use them to carry gear. Also, if you hold a baggie no one ever asks what you are doing.

This is Sparkle, she geocaches with my brother in law and his girlfriend. They did Mt Si last weekend.

What kind of dog is Sparkle, Criminal?

My parents are looking for a dog like that.

What kind of dog is Sparkle, Criminal?

My parents are looking for a dog like that.

It looks like a Yorkshire Terrier with a funny haircut...

For the record, following jmbella's wife around in the woods is my idea of a good time too! :P

I smell a virt! Attacked while geocaching, here are the co-ords of the body(as long as it is not yours).

If you want a dog as a deterrent I'd have to go with the bigger dogs. A 100lb dog may be friendly to the point of licking the hand of a burglar, but if they look meaner than snot, most people won't argue with the look.

As for as a Gun, pepper spray etc.. If you don’t have quick and easy access, it might as well be in a gun safe at home. You can’t expect to have time to rummage through your backpack. If you are going to go this route, get training. You won’t have time to think and training kicks in exactly those situations.

Caching with a partner is fun, and by far the solution I like the most. Ignoring anything else I cache with other people just because it’s fun. Like everyone has said, it should be easy to find a local cacher to go with. If you don’t know any, set up a cache event. You might be surprised at who all you meet.

As for the original question, I think it sounds like a perfect time to convert some of your muggle freinds into the ranks of geocachers. Since I tell everyone I meet about this hobby (wether they like it or not) I've always been pleasantly suprised at the conversion rate thus far. If your spouse will not go, take a freind. The advice on looking into local geocaching groups is great, scan the logs of caches in your area and email the odd cacher to see if they wish to tackle any together.

I cache in alone quite a bit and groups when I can. I enjoy both times equally well. I also go out at night quiet a bit and although it sounds funny, there seem to be less freaks out in the woods at that time(not counting myself).