Zire 72 And Bluetooth

I have a question I am hoping that someone out there can answer.

I am in the process of buying the Zire 72 from PalmOne. I also own a Garmin Etrex legend. I can not find any cables that connect the two together so that they will interact with each other. The old Zire 71 had cables that you could buy to do this. But when I called all the cable company’s they said they were not going to make a cable to connect the two. Their reason was that they could not.

The new PalmOne Zire 72 uses Bluetooth technology. So does that mean I can connect a Bluetooth to my Garmin legend and it will transmit to the Zire 72 without cables? I do not know a dadgum thing about Bluetooth. So I am wondering if the reason for this is because of the new connection on the Zire 72 and this Bluetooth technology?

I found this product on the internet and was wondering if anyone else has used it with their Etrex and a PDA? I would be extremely happy to know if someone has gotten this to work with a Zire 72?

http://www.semsons.com/bluetcarchar1.html

My question is if I purchase this product can I use my Garmin Legend with any PDA and have it interactive? What I want to get this to do is work with Delorme Street Atlas.

If this is the case how easy is this to set up? Can a monkey set it up? I do not want to buy the PDA until I am sure it will do all of this. So could someone respond and let me know how easy this is to set up and if it will work. It would also be great to hear from someone who has used this with a PDA and a Garmin. Even better would be someone that has gotten it to work with a Etrex and a Zire 72.

The Zire 72 DOES NOT have the "universal" connector that would allow you to connect a serial cable to your GPS. Bluetooth is a wireless communications protocal. There isn't anything you can add to your Legend to get it to talk bluetooth.

There are some dedicated bluetooth GPSrs out there, the don't generally have a display. You can use them in combination with mapping software on a bluetooth-enabled handheld though.

For newer Palm devices, you need to look for the "universal" connector (the higher-end Tungston series has them, some of the less expensive Tungstons don't). Almost no Zire series Palm has the connection, they're USB only (the 71 was an exception).

Ack, I just looked a the link you posted and noticed that it was a Garmin to Bluetooth adapter. I take back what I just said about getting your Legend to talk bluetooth, but you'll obviously need this adapter to make it work. It won't work for carrying it with you out of the car though (without some sort of portable DC power supply to plug it into that is).

Edited by StormCrow42

Thanks for the reply StormCrow42.

I don't want it for carrying around out of my car. I want it while in my car only or in the house. I can get an adapter so that I can connect the car thing in the house. But I wanted to make sure that this adapter that I supplied the link too would work with the Zire 72. It should from what I have read. I was hoping that someone with a Zire 72 would reply and say they have one and it works fine.

Is Bluetooth something that is easy to setup?

Is Bluetooth something that is easy to setup?

I don't have a Zire 72 so I can't tell you from direct experience, but BlueTooth is pretty easy to set up on the Palm side. If something is broadcasting a BT signal, you simply need to go to the BT application on the Palm and set it to discover what's out there. The Palm will figure it out from there. I have a friend with one of the BT dashmount GPSes, and his Tungsten T works with it just fine.

-E

I took the plung and order the item. I got it in the mail yesterday. I hooked it up without a problem and had no problems getting it to work. So maybe anyone else in the future that has a PDA and wants to know about the Bluetooth for the eTrex will work will read this and know that it does work.

Thanks to those that did reply to this.