E-trex Rubber Seal

DustyWalker

Has anyone in these forums had problems with the rubber seal (bumper) around their e-trex coming loose? The one on my two year old vista is, and I am exploring ways to fix it. I am considering using contact cement, which would be waterproof and could still be removed if it had to be. Any thoughts? Experiences? Thanks.

I don't own one but it's a fairly common problem from the number of posts about it. Do a search for it (the search defaults to the past 30 days so be sure to change the date parameters)

I believe that some people have had some luck getting the repairs done for free by Garmin even if it was past the warranty period.

I had some problems with my rubber seal on my eTrex Venture. I recieved the Venture used as a gift, and it was pretty battered, with a few other problems as well. I contacted Garmin and was able to get them to completely replace the unit! :tired:

Garmin customer service for me went WAY over and above the call of duty to fix my unit. I would highly recommend contacting them. They even arranged to pay for expedited shipping back to me from the US to Canada.

Hmmm.. should have spent $200 on a Venture rather than $580 on a 60CS.

I won't go into all the gory details (unless you ask) but my unit was sent away 6 1/2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for it to be fixed. Right now it is in limbo - somewhere between Canada and the US. It hasn't even been looked at yet by Garmin (the Canadian place took a month to figure out they couldn't fix it).

I have been on the phone with the Canadian repair place and Garmin... back and forth. :(

I am a reasonably calm person (okay let the laughter begin) but this has me so hot under the collar.... I'm not a casual cacher and I want my GPS back. NOW.

Congrats Swifteroo. I'm glad you had such great service.

I'm still waiting for the accessories that I ordered and paid for in April too, by the way!

I just hope that my situation is "one of a kind" and that I had the misfortune to get caught up in a bad time period. I hope my caching luck doesn't follow suit. I've heard nothing but praise for Garmin in the past (one of the reasons I bought it). I hope I can sing their praises in the future.

Just talked with the Canadian repair place... my GPS got lost in transit. A new one is on the way. I'll be able to pick it up in Toronto next week. Hope it doesn't get lost !

Is it next week yet?

I had to laugh when I read this. :(

Okay, maybe it wasn't *that* funny - especially as you might find yourself with a "refurbished" unit. :huh:

From my experience trying to get any schematics or technical informaiton for Garmin products (that being, they're not freely available), all component level service must be done at Garmin in Kansas.

Shipping electronic equipment from Canada to the USA via a courier is usually miserable unless you have your own broker. I've found the best way is to toss it in the mail and hope for the best. Coming from the USA to Canada seems to be a little more fluid. But once again, the mail works best here.

Annie, it sounds like you need to get yourself a spare GPS receiver! <ducking> :(

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

Hi C-A,

I've got a spare.. my old trusty Magellan Sportrak Map which I've been using in the meantime. Me without a GPS? Heck, I'd rent one of Nozzletime's 5 or 6 that he has if I had to!

The unit went from Radioworld (who did their best) to a place in Quebec. They held onto it for a month and then sent it to Oklahoma (Garmin) but Purolator lost it.

Believe me, when that unit comes in I'll be taking a microscope to it before accepting it.

Don't want to end up like the fellow who sent his in for repair and it fell apart the day he got it back. <shudder>

By Pub Night I'll have the new one.. and wouldn't you know it, it's right down the street so I don't even need it to get there! Go figure. :(

At a risk of keeping the thread slightly off-topic...

PumpkinOneA fell down a rocky hill a couple of weeks ago, and deeply gouged the plastic screen on his brand-new 60CS. I called RadioWorld who gave me the number of the Canadian repair place, who quoted me over $200. to fix it!

We stewed about it for a while, then asked around in the forums, and found out we could either try to fix it ourselves (with that new plastic filler stuff advertised on TV that apparently works pretty well), or we could call Garmin International in Kansas (toll-free) and see what they had to say.

I called yesterday. They took the price down from their usual $150 to $50 U.S., with a quoted turnaround time of 7-10 days. The unit went out in the mail last night.

- hamgran

I have been on the phone with the Canadian repair place and Garmin... back and forth. :o

That Sux AA.. I would definately be Pi$$ed with them if they took that long.

Because I am in Canada too, I had thought that I would need to use the Canadian location (naturally) but I phoned Garmin USA first, and it was actually them that told me not to deal with the Canadian outlet specifically :o

Mine did take a while to clear customs across the border, but I couldn't put the blame on Garmin for that one.

Hi C-A,

I've got a spare.. my old trusty Magellan Sportrak Map which I've been using in the meantime. Me without a GPS? Heck, I'd rent one of Nozzletime's 5 or 6 that he has if I had to!

Annie, You can borrow my old Micrologic ;-)

---

Micrologic Sportsman GPS. The Micrologic was one of the first hand-held GPS's that hit the market and had some stunning abilities when it first came out such as:

-Latitude, longitude, UTM, MGRS, Loran coordinates

-250 Waypoints, 100 of which can be stored in secret. 16 character alphanumeric naming.

-Nine routes, 20 waypoints for each

-Event marks, man overboard.

-Elapsed distance.

-Altitude manually selected 2D/3D.

-Reception of up to 5 satellites

-100 Foot accuracy!

-60 minute batery life with single 9v

Off topic due to the different brand, but still along the same road...

We bought our Magellan SporTrak Pro at an amazing deal from the Futureshop here in Halifax. We had it found about 2 months or so when some dummy (aka me) dropped it on pavement. I was getting out of the car, thought it was hooked around my wrist, but it wasn't, it fell face down, put a small crack along the screen.

I was told by futureshop that they don't cover damage. I argued that if the device says it's "Rugged" right in the description, it should be able to handle the small fall. They said they could ship it to Toronto to have it looked at, but I'd be without it for at least 2 months. NO WAY!

About 1 month ago (roughly 6 months since the last incident) we were up on a cliff, when we were supposed to be walking along the beach...tried to take the short way down...lost my footing...slid down the cliff...added another "mark" to the GPS screen.

Soon I'm going to either have to start being more careful, or look into getting the screen cover replaced. I just don't know how we will survive without the GPS for an extended period of time! I should have sent it out after our big snowstorm back in February! Luckily, the GPS still works perfectly, so we'll leave it as is for now! [<_<]

Later,

Tim

(aka: The Geek of The Hurricane Geeks)

Annie, You can borrow my old Micrologic ;-)

It was a year ago now that I remember you showing me that GPS at the first pubnight in Burlington. Wow.. how time flies! I just got my note to renew my GC.com membership so I know it's a year now.

I finally got a new 60CS (only after "Going Hormonal" on the fellow in Quebec!) It's a long story but I got it! After 7 weeks. Now back to Uber-caching!!!

They said they could ship it to Toronto to have it looked at, but I'd be without it for at least 2 months. NO WAY!

The repair place is up near Wiarton (a gorgeous resort in SW Ontario) You could come down this way in September for GHAGAFAP III - Third Time Lucky

Micrologic Sportsman GPS. The Micrologic was one of the first hand-held GPS's that hit the market and had some stunning abilities when it first came out such as:

-250 Waypoints, 100 of which can be stored in secret. 16 character alphanumeric naming.

-Elapsed distance.

-100 Foot accuracy!

HOLY MOLY!! Have you considered giving this to a Geocaching musuem?? :huh: My DH, The Outlaw, asked "does it have a rumble seat??" ;)

Now back to the topic of the thread ...

We are owners of two Vistas, and the Texas heat did in the gaskets in the first year. I don't know if Garmin has done anything to upgrade the adhesive they are using or not, but we had enough other little problems crop up (lines on display, click stick working irratically) that we ended up sending both of them in for post-warranty refurb. They are good little units, and we have given them quite a licking.

I've now upgraded to the 60CS, and Annie, you'll LOVE it once you finally have a chance to use it! The extra memory and geocache features are super.

Happy Trails from Texas,

Candy

I've now upgraded to the 60CS, and Annie, you'll LOVE it once you finally have a chance to use it! The extra memory and geocache features are super.

Oh I know.. this is my second unit. The first one that I bought back in April went in for repairs and then got lost between Canada and the US. They replaced it with a brand new unit (7 1/2 weeks later). Now I'm back on board again.

I'll have to go back and figure out all the settings I used to have.. track up, true north, turn off compass until I'm going x speed, set the compass to 'Bearing Pointer' rather than "Course Pointer" ...etc. :huh:

Maybe a new topic for 'what are your custom settings for the 60cs' would be an idea!

-Elapsed distance.

-100 Foot accuracy!

HOLY MOLY!! Have you considered giving this to a Geocaching musuem?? :D My DH, The Outlaw, asked "does it have a rumble seat??" :D

Check out the cache I created in memory of the "old days"

GCG141 Accuracy? Who needs it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...57-207506d8aca3

It also talks about the Y1K problem I ran into...

I bought a 60CS in July to upgrade from my Legend. The Legend had developed a problem with the "click stick" and was less than a year old and I wanted it repaired so I would have a back-up. I did not have the receipt for it as it was a Father's Day gift. Talking to an authorized repair depot in Quebec made me realize I needed another option. I talked to the Garming people in Olathe Kansas and had no problem whatsoever. They did warn me, however, that I might get a bill for duty. I sent my Legend in using small parcel service (from a local Canada Post branch at a pharmacy) for about $5.00. 1 week later, I had another Legend returned to me. I believe it was refurbished because the serial # was lower than the one I sent in, but it had a new plastic screen, case and rubber surround. As such, it looked like a brand new unit and performed like it too. I was very pleased with the service (no charge warranty without a receipt) and the quick turnaround. I would advise others to avoid sending anything to Quebec for service. When I was talking to the service rep (in Kansas) on the phone, I said to him "I don't know if you know much about how things work up here, but there is Quebec, and then there's the rest of Canada." His reply: "I understand." :) The duty charge was about $8.00. For all Garmin repairs, deal directly with Garmin and have a good turnaround time and excellent service!