"carry On Camping" Eventer?

So we were thinking...

We love camping as much as we love caching and we were wondering what you lovely people out there think of a joint caching type camping eventer. We're thinking next year as the camping season is rapidly dwindling and in a place with good caches nearby... Any ideas and, more importantly, would anyone be up for it (or is the typical cacher a loner breed)?

We just thought it would be nice for people to go out during the day and finally retire round a campfire / light and shoot the breeze at the end! Maybe have a few beverages without the shackles of a drive home... sounds quite good! It would also help bridge the distance barrier that holds some back from going to faraway cache events and allow them to meet up with "new" cachers.

Just an idea What do YOU think???

House Of Boo

Edited by House Of Boo

We have enjoyed 3 camping/cacheing trips so far this year.

1) 3 days/nights camping on the banks of Loch Lomond, with a visit to the Isle of Bute, where we managed to completed all of Billy Twiggers Isle of Bute caches. (well worth a visit, with some superb cache locations)

2) 2 days/nights in Oxford, where we completed both "University Challenge" series and the "Chester Challenge/Bonus" Series - again both were fun series to do

3) 5 days/nights in Nairn, just outside Inverness, where we completed the fabulous "Ness" series, (along with a few other caches thrown in for good measure!)

We've been very lucky with the weather on all our trips so far this year, and have really enjoyed ourselves, so can definatley recommend the combination of camping/cacheing.

Debbie

This is only slightly off topic....but having read the last post and can surmise that more than one geocacher is camping up in here in Scotland where I could have maybe made contact with them....then perhaps an event post should be started so that cachers can view each day to see who is camping where in the UK so that nearby cachers can get in touch...even share a day geocaching....or something more liquid :D:P

Ullium.

If someone will plan it I'll try to be there. The last outing House of boo set up was missing cacher. Great time had by all, so if something similar, which involves camping as well, I'll definatly be there. :PB):anitongue:

Just tell us where and when??

Edited by Sparticus

A fair few happy campers I see... the next question would be where should we go? How far are you willing to travel? Are there any places that are burning to be hit, Do you know of any good camping areas...? All these things would alter the events location!

So be proactive and put your ideas across as we will try to make the event have something for everyone! It could be in an area of mass cache condension or just have a few and a nice beach nearby... or would the islands be worth hitting (judging by a recent thread theres enough of them around!!!).

What do you think?

House Of Boo

So be proactive and put your ideas across as we will try to make the event have something for everyone! It could be in an area of mass cache condension or just have a few and a nice beach nearby... or would the islands be worth hitting (judging by a recent thread theres enough of them around!!!).

What do you think?

House Of Boo

Dorset`s quite nice. Area around Swanage, Langton Matravers, good for walking, I spent four days backpacking there last year. 2 Pubs in the village.

There is a camp site called Tom`s field at Langton Matravers and a search with 25 mile radius of it, gives 80 caches.

Search on Tom`s Field

Actualy this search is just north of Tom`s Field

Geo

Edited by harold1066
Dorset`s quite nice. Area around Swanage, Langton Matravers, good for walking, I spent four days backpacking there last year. 2 Pubs in the village.

There is a camp site called Tom`s field at Langton Matravers and a search with 25 mile radius of it, gives 80 caches.

Yes, I thought Dorset would be nice :blink:, as it has good road links and is generaly a rather nice area. I'm sure this is the site my sister-in-law went to last year, and she highly recomended it.

We were camping near Sawange, Dorset last week. It's a lovely area with some great caches and fantastic views. :o

We stayed at Woodyhyde campsite, we didn't even need to book and only £11 per night for a family of four. :P

We didn't get anywhere near all the caches done that we intended to, so might be up for camping if the dates are ok. :o

Brings back memories of last years geocachers camping. ;)

Edited by THE BRAMBLERS

Hi,

You can add us to the list.

It was nice to hear that Toms Field is still there. :o

Mrs Lightning (as she was later to become) and I stayed there on our first trip together many many moons ago. :o

We love the area so would jump at the chance to revisit and do a few caches.

SummerLightning and the rest of Team Marigold

Sounds like Dorset could be the winner then...! More than happy to arrange a camping eventer just when are people available (this year...next year)?

If its this year we're thinking around early September... If people can't make it then an adjournment to next year may be in order as there is already a camping event(ish) for some foolish people climbing Snowdon and one on Halloween for some phantom caching! See "Halloween Monster Cache Bash"!

So howsabout early September for a jaunt to Toms Field Dorset...? Anyone...? anyone????

House Of Boo

I gave up camping last year, too uncomfortable with state my back is in after the Army had finished with it! I have 3 tents on offer:

20 year old ridge tent (still fully serviceable!) sleeps two or one with kit.

10+ year old single span tent sleeps two with kit.

10 year old tunnel tent with 2/3 sleeping compartment (takes double airbed) plus kit space plus living area (or cycle park!)

Contact me on Pyoung1s@aol.com and I'm sure I can undercut any retail outlet price!

No appologies for advertising here as I am offering fellow Geocachers the chance to avail themselves with some quality second hand no longer required tents so they can take the opportunity to join in this and future Geocachecamping activities!

The bad news is that there wont be a "Carry On Camping" cache eventer this year due to time restrictions on our part... The good news is that next year will be the year of the tent at the House Of Boo and we are planning to have weekend breaks all over the country meaning there will be various carry on camping events all over the shop. One in Wales, One in Devon.... you get the picture.

So sorry for getting your hopes up for this year but remember 2005 will hopefully make it up for you camping mad cachers!

House Of Boo

P.S The Diceman Cometh! :ph34r:

The bad news is that there wont be a "Carry On Camping" cache eventer this year due to time restrictions on our part...

:ph34r::blink::ph34r::ph34r::unsure:

The good news is that next year will be the year of the tent at the House Of Boo and we are planning to have weekend breaks all over the country meaning there will be various carry on camping events all over the shop. One in Wales, One in Devon.... you get the picture.

:blink::mad::mad::huh::o

So sorry for getting your hopes up for this year but remember 2005 will hopefully make it up for you camping mad cachers!

House Of Boo

P.S The Diceman Cometh!  :blink:

We shall look forward to next year

TPC