Would This Be O.K.?

RAD Dad

I was thinking about doing a "mobile cache" it would have not co-ordinates, it would be a small film canister magneticly attached to the inside of the rear bumber on my Geo-Rig (a forest service green 'burban 4x4) The idea would be that if someone see's it around (parked of course) they could leave a coin and take a coin, fill out the little logbook, and log the find online as well. Would that be an acceptable cache?

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Well, I imagine most of the time it would be found when another geocacher stumbles upon an area I am searching for a cache, or when locals see it around town. I live in Salem Oregon, so it would be seen most there, but I also get up to the Puget Sound a lot, over to the coast from time to time, and some central Oregon as well.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Not only people messing with your car, but think how many Green forest service Suburbans that there are around this area (Portland/Eugene/Seattle). How would you go about making sure that people don't just go rummaging around the underside of any old Suburban that they see parked at Safeway? I'm not too sure about this idea, but I guess it might be worth a try.

quote:
Originally posted by Laserman:

Check this cache out, takes your idea to a different level.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16679

I think that I like "Cache me if you can" better. The cache is moving, but at least can be tracked. Seems like you could do something similar with a GPSr and a Palm VII (or Omnisky). Though, I'm not sure if I like the idea of my car's position always posted on a website... icon_wink.gif

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by Laserman:

Check this cache out, takes your idea to a different level.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16679

I think that I like "Cache me if you can" better. The cache is moving, but at least can be tracked. Seems like you could do something similar with a GPSr and a Palm VII (or Omnisky). Though, I'm not sure if I like the idea of my car's position always posted on a website... icon_wink.gif

-jjf

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

I was thinking about doing a "mobile cache" it would have not co-ordinates, it would be a small film canister magneticly attached to the inside of the rear bumber on my Geo-Rig (a forest service green 'burban 4x4) The idea would be that if someone see's it around (parked of course) they could leave a coin and take a coin, fill out the little logbook, and log the find online as well. Would that be an acceptable cache?

What are you going to call it, the "Welcome All Stalkers Cache?"

First, I figure most of the time folks would log it when the happen to be at the same cache site as I am at at the same time. Second, they would know it is the right rig because I have the OFFICIAL GEOCACHE sticker on the back of my truck as a bumpersticker, I even filled in the name of cache line, "RAD Dad's Rig" which would be the name of the cache if I create it. I would make it clear in the description that what is being looked for is on the inside of the bumper directly below the sticker, so a person should be able to get it fairly inconspicuously. So far as tracking my rig, frankly aside from weekends, it doesn't move around much, as I stay at home and take care of my two year old daughter, 1 year old son, and my three year old nephew and 6 month old nephew, so as you could guess, I don't leave the house much with four kids age three and under. icon_smile.gif

First, I figure most of the time folks would log it when the happen to be at the same cache site as I am at at the same time. Second, they would know it is the right rig because I have the OFFICIAL GEOCACHE sticker on the back of my truck as a bumpersticker, I even filled in the name of cache line, "RAD Dad's Rig" which would be the name of the cache if I create it. I would make it clear in the description that what is being looked for is on the inside of the bumper directly below the sticker, so a person should be able to get it fairly inconspicuously. So far as tracking my rig, frankly aside from weekends, it doesn't move around much, as I stay at home and take care of my two year old daughter, 1 year old son, and my three year old nephew and 6 month old nephew, so as you could guess, I don't leave the house much with four kids age three and under. icon_smile.gif

Well, I went ahead and did it....just waiting for approval. So look for my truck if you live in Oregon or Washington (I go up to the Puget Sound a lot, especially the Olympia area)

Well nuts, they shot my idea down. Said that because it was pretty much something that would be found by chance and not found with a GPS that it wouldn't qualify. I find this odd as there are many locationless caches, oh well.