A Total Newbie.

Nervous Nick

I am at a loss as to how to connect my new Garmin Legend to my PC. I mean, the interface cable, I have. But the documentation that came with the unit offers almost ZERO advice for the newbie.

I would like to know a few technical things, and I know these cannot be addressed by individual responses, but maybe someone can point me to a site that deals with the following issues:

-How to connect my GPS to my computer in the first place

-How to transfer data between my GPS and my computer (both ways) via the serial cable that came with the Legend

-What sort of compatibility might my Garmin unit have with MS Streets/Trips, which I have found to be a wonderful program

-What sort of Garmin software I actually MUST have to do the above, if it did not come with my computer

I am neither a computer geek nor a computer illiterate, but this is a whole new world to me.

Also, and finally (!) I know there must be places where geocachers get together and talk shop, and was wondering whether there is a forum or web site where I might access a listing of open meetings (either in real life--that would be cool--or on the web) where I might touch bases with experienced cachers.

Thanks!

Nicko

Edited by Nervous Nick

A lot of software will suport your GPS directly.

your GPS supports viarouse communications modes. By default I think it's Garmin.

Streets and Trips is rather retarded when it comes to interfacing with your GPS and doesn't recognize Garmin as a mode so you have to switch your GPS to NMEA 2.0.

Most software supports NMEA modes.

The only other trick is telling your software what serial port Com 1, Com 2 etc. your GPS is on.

There are other tricks (like a patch for STreets and Trips to fix it's refresh rate) but you can learn about those as you go.

P.S. I use S&T so I can call it retarded!

Edited by Renegade Knight
I am at a loss as to how to connect my new Garmin Legend to my PC. I mean, the interface cable, I have.

Do you mean you are having trouble physically connecting the cable? Some newer computers (laptops anyway) don't have serial ports, and the cable that came with your Legend is serial only. If this is your problem, you'll need a USB-to-serial cable. I did a quick search and found this link to a place that sells them.

I am at a loss as to how to connect my new Garmin Legend to my PC. I mean, the interface cable, I have.

Do you mean you are having trouble physically connecting the cable? Some newer computers (laptops anyway) don't have serial ports, and the cable that came with your Legend is serial only. If this is your problem, you'll need a USB-to-serial cable. I did a quick search and found this link to a place that sells them.

they are out of stock - radio shack $40

-How to connect my GPS to my computer in the first place

-How to transfer data between my GPS and my computer (both ways) via the serial cable that came with the Legend

-What sort of compatibility might my Garmin unit have with MS Streets/Trips, which I have found to be a wonderful program

-What sort of Garmin software I actually MUST have to do the above, if it did not come with my computer

I am neither a computer geek nor a computer illiterate, but this is a whole new world to me.

Also, and finally (!) I know there must be places where geocachers get together and talk shop, and was wondering whether there is a forum or web site where I might access a listing of open meetings (either in real life--that would be cool--or on the web) where I might touch bases with experienced cachers.

Thanks!

Nicko

1. Serial port. If your PC does not have a serial port you will need to buy a serial USB adapter.

2. That depends on what type of data you want to transfer. For transferring waypoints to your GPS you can use EasyGPS or GSAK. You will need Mapsource software to transfer maps and routes. Only Mapsource software will work with Garmin GPS units.

3. Streets and Trips is not compatible with Garmin products. At least, not for waypoints, routes, etc.

4. There is no Mapsource software you MUST have to transfer waypoints to a Garmin GPS. But if you want better maps and more features (route planning, etc), you might want to buy the Garmin Mapsource software. It is not cheap but it is worth it (in my opinion).

I hope this helps some. I used a Legend for quite a while but recently upgraded to a 60cs. If you have other questions, please feel free to email me or send me a PM.

....and finally (!) I know there must be places where geocachers get together and talk shop, and was wondering whether there is a forum or web site where I might access a listing of open meetings (either in real life--that would be cool--or on the web) where I might touch bases with experienced cachers.

You're already in the right place for general contact with experienced cachers in this "getting started" thread, but there are more localized options for you.

Midwest Forum

Chicago Gecoaching Website

--This group may host in-person events you'd want to attend to get to know other cachers and their experiences in your area.

You may also want to consider contacting Markwell through this site.

For a "live chat" forum, ClayJar hosts one on Monday nights. Here's a link: ClayJar's GPS Chat.

Edited by Teach2Learn