Destroyed Benchmark?

NoClue-Opp

What determines a benchmark destroyed and what should be done?

I believe I know of a benchmark that is set into a piece of concrete about the size of a gallon jug and that concrete is just sitting loose on the sand. Next time I am around that area sould I pick it up or what? I wish I had the # or a picture. I am new to geocaching and benchmarking.

Get the information off the mark--there will be a designation on it and a date. The designation will be something like A 6 or Y 248, or any number of things. Use the advanced search on this site to look up the mark to see if it is even in the NGS database. If it is, make note of the PID, which is two letters and 4 numbers (e.g. KY1115), then take clear pictures of the benchmark, showing the designation, the condition and the setting of it. Email those to Deb with an explanation of the disposition of the mark, e.g. "KY1115 was found uprooted and lying on its side in a field." Your description and the photos will be what she uses to make a determination.

Note, if you cannot find the mark in the NGS database don't bother telling NGS. There are thousands of marks that are not in their database for many different reasons. You may want to tell your local county surveyor's office though.

Matt

Welcome to Geocaching and Benchmarking!

The simple answer would be that if the benchmark is not there then it's been destroyed. But, in the real world, it's not that simple - it just means the mark wasn't found. Some types of marks can look destroyed to the layman, but are only damaged and can still be used by a surveyor. True destruction can only be determined by evidence that shows the mark was destroyed.

If you do find a mark that puzzles you, you can post your findings and/or images here in the forum and we can try to help you figure it out, or, if you intend to report your findings to the NGS, you can send them a note and ask for direction from them.

If you do find a mark that is loose or otherwise displaced, the best thing to do is to leave it alone, particularly if it is still in its setting. Again, because to a surveyor, it may still be usable as it is. The mark that you describe set in the sand in concrete about the size of a milk jug should be left alone. Unless the concrete setting has been hit or damaged, it is most likely fairly stable. Don't be fooled by what you see on the ground surface - it's probably a 3'-5' concrete post that weighs several hundred pounds. In my area there are many set in a similar fashion (including the sandy surroundings).

- Kewaneh

It is loose. I did not know what it was and picked it up to look at it.

If you were able to pick it up, it's destroyed. Chances are it would be best to retrieve the mark just so someone doesn't try to be helpful and reset it hiding the fact it's no longer in it's rightful place.

However, it's best to have official word/instructions before doing that.