Garmin 60c Vs 60cs

I'm thinking of upgrading my current Garmin GPS III with one of the new 60c or 60cs models. My question is, would I regret getting the 60c over the 60cs in the long run? I see the value in having the cs, but I don't know if it's worth the extra cash.

The cheapest I've seen the 60c is about: $350 and the cheapest for the 60cs is about: $400. So it's basically a $50 decision.

I'm sure there are others here who have dealt with this same dilemma. Any advice and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

cteselle,

Right before I got into geocaching I bought a 60C (actually, the 60C led me to start geocaching due to its special geocaching mode - once I found out what it was all about I was hooked). It was a great unit and I really liked it. However, once I started geocaching I really noticed the lack of the electronic compass on the 60C. I could locate caches with it just fine, but the compass on the 60C stops working when you drop below 2.5 mph. Thus, it makes it difficult to really close in on the caches (it can be done, but it just makes it a bit harder is all - especially when the terrain wont let you go faster than 2.5 mph).

I ended up selling my 60C (at a small loss) and buying a 60CS instead and I'm glad that I did. Thus, I personally feel that the extra money was totally worth it for me (just for the electronic compass alone).

If you're really into geocaching (or into serious hiking where you want more accurate elevation readings) then get the 60CS for sure. Otherwise, get the 60C and save the extra money.

I hope this helps some...

I think the 60C is more simple and less prone to problems than the 60CS, I had purposely gotten the 60C instead of the 60CS, because I already have a 76S. I have both the Vista and 76S and those electronic compasses were never as good as the Meridian Platinum's, that I had.

I got the 60cs. If I was to do it again I would get the 60c. The compass sux and the 60c battery life is rated for 30 hours where the cs is rated for 20 hours. I went back to using my legend and a compass for geocaching and just use the 60cs for road travel or when hiking while not caching. I kept trying to use the compass in it but it just isn't good enough, it actually made it worst then not having one. They still have a lot to fix in the software before I will start using it for geocaching again. ie: zoom

I got the 60cs. If I was to do it again I would get the 60c. The compass sux and the 60c battery life is rated for 30 hours where the cs is rated for 20 hours. I went back to using my legend and a compass for geocaching and just use the 60cs for road travel or when hiking while not caching. I kept trying to use the compass in it but it just isn't good enough, it actually made it worst then not having one. They still have a lot to fix in the software before I will start using it for geocaching again. ie: zoom

Turn off compass and you will get 30 hours.

In fact it turns itself off when you are moving, just

set very low speed limit for that.

The price difference is not that big so I bought CS.

Now I am sure that I will never regret that.

Edited by vr12

FarSideX,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with the compass in your 60CS. Mine works wonderfully and it has taken me within 20 feet of every cache I've looked for so far. Maybe you should send your unit into Garmin as it sounds like there's a problem with it???

Also, as vr12 mentioned, if you turn your compass off while you're not using it, the unit's battery life should be closer to that of the 60C.

Edited by TheOfficeMaven

I would absolutely NOT be without either the electronic compass or the altimeter functions. I use the compass (very accurate) on every cache, and the altimeter on at least 60% of my recent (last 100) caches. I think the difference when I bought mine was $37. Go for it, you won't be sorry.

FarSideX,

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with the compass in your 60CS. Mine works wonderfully and it has taken me within 20 feet of every cache I've looked for so far. Maybe you should send your unit into Garmin as it sounds like there's a problem with it???

Also, as vr12 mentioned, if you turn your compass off while you're not using it, the unit's battery life should be closer to that of the 60C.

I concure. The compass in my 60CS works just fine. I keep getting within 5-10ft of any given cache (looking right in the proper direction). :laughing:

Edited by pcmike

One reason I don't care for the sensors is the altimeter feature doesn't work properly in pressurized aircraft cabins. Part of the fun of having a GPSr is taking it on the plane with me and watching the speed go to 600 M.P.H. and the altitude showing 40,000 feet :tired:

With the altimeter feature, when you're in a pressurized cabin, you usually get readings of just 5,000 feet or so.

It also just seems like a hassle to calibrate the sensors. When I go somewhere, I just wanna pick up my GPSr and go. I really don't wanna hafta wait to acquire satellites - much less calibrate the sensors.

...Just my 2¢

THe 60CS is the first GPS I have had with a electronic compass and I really like it. It adds a great feature and is simple to turn off and on. Battery life is not an issue with the CS.

THe altimeter/barometer is a really cool gadget. I like being able to watch the pressure trend and seeing total ascent/descent elevation.

Team Mountain runners

What exactly needs to be done to calibrate it? Does this need to happen every time that you use the unit?

It takes all of about 2 seconds to calibrate the compass and you only have to do it when you replace the batteries in the unit. All you do is rotate the unit in two complete circles slowly. Not very hard in my opinion. :tired:

As for the altimeter, it has an auto-calibrate setting (which is on by default) and so you really don't even have to mess with it.

I started off with a Garmin Emap using it for non-geocaching purposes for well over a year before doing any geocaching. Since then I acquired a Garmin Legend and a Forerunner and used them for geocaching. For a while, I carried a standard compass until I found I didn't usually need it.

Then as soon as they came out, I sprung for a Garmin 60CS. It is a wonderful tool. Battery life is great compared to the Emap and the Legend.

Still, as far as I am concerned, I would have done just as well if not better with the 60C. I use the compass but as often as not, it seems that it is off which causes me to pause and recalibrate. If you move, then you get your arrow even if there were no compass.

I never bother with the barometer/altimeter. So there may be those who need these other sensors (indeed, I thought I might be able to use them), but it seems that they are of no use to me so here's my offer to anyone....

Give me your new 60C and $20 and you can have my 60CS!

Team Geo-Jedi

Having started with a G-3+ then up to a G-5 we never had any magnetic compass features to work with. We now have upgraded to a 60C and a 60CS. So far the big plus with the CS is the MAP page will orient itself so we can see more clearly what is around us when standing still. To put it another way, if we are in a very poor reception area it is possible to stop and find out what direction we need to head to when the birds are gone. With the non compass units you just have to guess for a while until you re-acquire sat lock and then wait for the GPS compass to start functioning again. Another area where the CS works great is with offset caches where you are directed to point X and then told to go “n number of paces at xxx degrees magnetic (or true). This can be done with a real compass of course but it is quicker with the CS. As for battery life, it has not been a problem. With the CS set to switchover at 2 MPH the compass is not on long enough to make much of a difference.

Bottom line… for the extra $30 or $40 do it. You won’t be sorry. As a side note, we still do the primary road navigation with the G-5 because it’s form factor allows it to sit further forward on the dash where the display is much easier to read that of the C/CS.

I chose the 60C over the CS mainly because I did not see the benefit of the electronic compass and altimeter. I figured if I could find with my old EMap then I should be able to find them just a well with the 60C. My main reason for upgrading was to (1) get a color unit which I really like and (2) get a better antenna which the 60C has over the EMap.

I would not hesitate to buy another 60C - in fact I want to buy a 2nd one for Donna to use when she travels on her own.

Zack

Zack,

Get Donna an eTrex Legend C instead... It has all of the features of the 60C (with only a bit less memory) but it's MUCH MUCH smaller. It's the size of a cell phone and so it's much easier to carry around (in her hand, pocket, purse, etc.). It has the exact same software as the 60C and the color screen is totally awesome. Plus you'll save a few bucks to boot.

I have a 60CS and a Vista C and I actually like the Vista C more than I do the 60CS (mostly because of its smaller size but also because the click stick on the Vista C is much easier to operate than the rocker button on the 60C). In fact, I liked it so much that I when ahead and bought a Legend C for my wife. She takes it everywhere with her now and so I no longer have to worry about her getting lost anymore. :tired:

Thanks for everyone's response. I'm still on the fence tho. I'm almost leaning toward the 60c since I'm coming from the GPS III, I wouldn't know what I'm missing with the lack of compass and altimeter.

My trusty 80's era Silva compass has never led me astray. :tired:

For me, I went with the cs because the difference was somewhere along the lines of $20-$30 when I bought it. For that I figured it didn't make much difference. I've used the compass some, but personally I'd probably not miss it if it wasn't there. (Although it's been usefull at times to stand still and rotate around until I'm pointed where the cache should be). The compass can be somewhat awkward at times because it has to be held completely level.

Get Donna an eTrex Legend C instead... It has all of the features of the 60C (with only a bit less memory) but it's MUCH MUCH smaller.

I don't believe that the legend has auto-routing. So, if you plan to have the GPS give you driving directions, you will need the 60c or 60cs.

Emphasis on Legend_C_, which does autoroute when paired with an appropriate mapsource mutant.

If you're already in the kind of money for a recevier, the extra $25 for a compass - which you can turn off if you really hate - is likely to be less stressful than wishing you had it and having saved the cost of a dinner.

etrex form factor (i.e. LegendC/VistaC) vs. 60C/60CS form factor is a different decision than sensor kit (VistaC/60CS) vs. not (LegendC/60C).

The answer is simple really.

Those who bought the non-altimiter-compass units will tell you they are not needed. Those who DID get them and really know how to use them will tell you they are great.

So what you have is some people using them saying yes get them, and some people not using them telling you that they don't use them, hence you shouldn't use them either.

I find the altimiter (once calibrated (DAILY)) to be MUCH MORE accurate than the GPS alone elevation.

I find the magnetic compass useful for several things including getting a straight bearing on a location even if you lose satellite lock. You can actually use it to triangulate on a point, and no need to keep moving as you do with the GPS compass.

For the difference in price, I say skip a few lunches and cups of Star-Bucks, and get the CS. And YES, I use them, so you would expect me to say that! :(

A 60CS will do everything a 60C will do,but a 60C can't do what a 60CS can do.

The compass is not a important thing with me. The big difference between the two is the vertical trip computer information which the 60C doesn't have. It's a whole other ball game.

If you hike at all get the CS.

I've used mine on the highest peaks in N.H. and have had it on all day long. Never had any problems with anything including battery life which is fantastic.

You can turn off features if you need too.

Capt.

I found myself in the same delimma a few months ago. I got the 60cs and have not regretted it a bit!

The Calibration is no sweat at all. I think the only people who complain about having to calibrate them don't actually own one :(

For me, it was the fact that I was spending the money, and I had the chance to go ahead and get a premium unit. I have not regretted it one bit.

Do I really need the extra electronic compass and barometric altimeter? Na!!!

But then again do I need maps, a color display, 56 megs of memory, autorouting, or for that matter, a GPS receiver? If money is not an issue, go ahead and get the 60cs, the extra stuff make the unit that much richer!!!

I agree with a lot of what was said here:

I love the vertical trip computer - makes me feel a lot better to see that I went a couple of thousand feet up on a 10 mile hike :(

I also find the electronic compass very usefull when in close proximity to a cache - granted Garmin's implementation sucks (why not learn from Magellan - having to hold the GPS at the same angle that was used when calibrating it is really a pain in the ....).

I am happy I got the 60CS. I came from an eTrex Venture and wanted to make sure I am not 'wantig' to upgrade again for a while...

Why buy a GPS at all? Get a topo map find the coordinates and get the cache! Just kidding, of course. But if you are going to buy a GPS in the class of a Garmin 60C, then you should not skimp. Get all the capabilities you can for a few bucks more. You may not need the capabilities now, but as you do more caching you may find that they are useful later. It's better to buy what you don't need now then to find that you need the capabilities later and have to spend more money. That person had a good point too. You don't need satellites to use the compass. That point alone might save your life someday. We get pretty brave when we use a GPS maybe even throw caution to the wind. Get the 60CS, if for nothing else it may give you peace of mind. Have you ever bought something and then thought, darn I should have bought the other. You wont have to worry about that.