How Do I Get The Co-ords ...

xby

Is there a way of getting the waypoint co-ords of all caches over a relatively wide area? I often find myself somewhere with unexpected time on my hands. If I could quickly verify using my GPS that there were caches nearby I could then get details (by calling Mrs XBY for example, or popping in to a cybercafe) and go hunting. But without the basic list of waypoints this is not possible.

I can see you can collect waypoints a page at a time - but there are many many pages.

Am I doing something wrong?

We are heading off for a longish break abroad soon. Same issue. We do not have definite plans, and will not know where we are going to be traveling until we get there - and look at the weather etc - so a GPS set filled with waypoints would alert us to caches which we can then look up for more details.

Really enjoying this new game/sport/challenge/pastime/entertainment/hobby whatever it is!

If I were you I would pay for premium membership and generate the relevant pocket queries for the regions you will be travelling in. I would then spent $7 on Cachemate, and about £20 on a second hand PalmIIIxe.

You could then tour the country with every nearby cache, including descriptions and recent logs, in your pocket.

If I were you I would pay for premium membership and generate the relevant pocket queries for the regions you will be travelling in. I would then spent $7 on Cachemate, and about £20 on a second hand PalmIIIxe.

You could then tour the country with every nearby cache, including descriptions and recent logs, in your pocket.

Absolutely agreed. We went to Finland recently, and had around 1000 caches in the palm and on the GPS. We could go wherever we liked and search as we went.

Really convenient.

Except one cache moved between our downloading the information and actually getting there. We logged a DNF when we might have found it with more up-to-date info.

You need to update regularly, but pocket queries and cachemate make a wonderful combination.

Likewise, when we went to the Bucks caching event, we downloaded all 1/1 caches between there and home so we could bag a few on the way home in the evening.

Great stuff.

Cheers,

Stu

Easier and cheeper than the above.... use your mobile !!!

Have a look on the GeocacheUK website and there is a page on how to download the 10 nearest caches to your mobile, it includes full co-ords, full description and clue !!!

I found it a week ago, and the last two days, I found myself in Dublin at last minute. I had with me my GPS (very old type Magellan 310) that does not hold anything, and my mobile (a plain and simple Nokia)

Follow the instructions, and bingo.

I managed to visit 3 geocaches !!!

I think it might only work in the UK, but you never know.... Dublin worked !

Its fantastic..... now if I travel the country, and I stop for a lunch break, 10 seconds and I have got the 10 nearest caches, you can even then use those 10 to search for the 10 closest to them ! Making unlimited searches !

BEST OF ALL..... Is upto date to the second !!!

Here is the link to the page GeocacheUK webpage - mobile phone

Edited by harrogate hunters

I find the midlet almost useless as it uses Waypoint names instead of cache names. I much prefer using Cachemate as I can see what I am looking for immediatly. I accept the midlet is useful for when you have not been able to prepare for a trip, but as it is not too difficult to have the whole UK in Cachemate using a memory card, and Cachemate does so much more - the midlet is second best for me.

I find the midlet almost useless as it uses Waypoint names instead of cache names. I much prefer using Cachemate as I can see what I am looking for immediatly. I accept the midlet is useful for when you have not been able to prepare for a trip, but as it is not too difficult to have the whole UK in Cachemate using a memory card, and Cachemate does so much more - the midlet is second best for me.

While I agree that CacheMate is the better option, I certainly wouldn't say that the mobile phone thingy is "almost useless". Not everyone is fortunate enough to own a PDA.

As it happens I do own a Garmin iQue and of course, I have Cachemate loaded on it. I also have all current UK caches stored on the SD card but that wasn't much help when it failed completely while I was in Scotland earlier this year. For the last few days of my holiday I was very glad indeed that I was able to carry on caching using the information I could download to my mobile phone. The fact that it showed waypoints instead of cache name made absolutely no difference what-so-ever and IMHO is totally irrelevant.

I find the midlet almost useless as it uses Waypoint names instead of cache names.

My phone displays both .......

The initial screen displays the cache type and waypoint reference, but just open and the name scrolls over the top of the screen !

You do not to 'go on line' again for this option !

AND quite correct not all of us have modern technology..... even my GPS is 10 years old !!! Its basic not to say the least and only has two decimal places for seconds.

But it works, I still find places, and now with the mobile, I am free to wander without any set up costs !